The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegRocker View Post
Awesome guitar Dbone and awesome advice. Stay healthy, jam on
Thanks fellas. I will definitely be jamming on ;-0. The jury is still out on the good health part. We’ll see if the wife ends up dragging this stupid COVID thing home from the hospital. Here’s to hoping not. Either way, I will play my way through it ;-0

It has been hard to put this thing down. This is a precision tool to be sure. Tone for days. Just the right amount of everything, very balanced, not too much bass, not too little...

Yamaha Canada assured me that a bad LL56 doesn’t exist given the standards applied to their production. I tend to believe them based on the 2 experiences I have had with 2 different ones now. Not a large sample I know, but I was told that most purchases in Canada for these things are sight unseen, and they never have complaints. I tend to believe it.

Everything I had hoped for, without a doubt. For anyone potentially on the fence for purchasing one of these, nothing to worry about here in my view...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-27-2020, 08:14 AM

I would also add that these guitars definitely are VERY lightly built relative to Yamahas below the 26 level. This is for sure. Having played both now, there is quite a difference.

I have seen comments on some posts around here from some suggesting that there is not much difference between the 26/36/56 and say the 16 level. The information out there like in this video, and others, says they are more lightly built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8nn6xRGpA

Let me confirm that this is definitely case. They are not the same guitar. This is for sure. With the price difference, that should be the case, and it is.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-27-2020, 09:54 AM

Thanks. Now I'm lusting after one of these. Just when I thought GAS was cured. D*mn you!!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
Thanks. Now I'm lusting after one of these. Just when I thought GAS was cured. D*mn you!!
LOL

You’ll thank me later

LOL
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-27-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I would also add that these guitars definitely are VERY lightly built relative to Yamahas below the 26 level. This is for sure. Having played both now, there is quite a difference.

I have seen comments on some posts around here from some suggesting that there is not much difference between the 26/36/56 and say the 16 level. The information out there like in this video, and others, says they are more lightly built:

Let me confirm that this is definitely case. They are not the same guitar. This is for sure. With the price difference, that should be the case, and it is.

Cheers

Congrats Dbone!

You are one of the lucky few to really see, feel, and hear what Yamaha is truly capable of at the higher level of guitar making, and as you note, Yamaha is second to no one in the caliber of their craft of acoustic guitar luthierie.

If you are able, it would be a delight to hear some sound clips of you and your new Excalibre!

And truly...Warmest good wishes and prayers for the continued health and safety of your wife and your family, and all the medical people, and support staff at her work, in their absolutely heroic efforts to care for all the folks fighting Covid-19!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-27-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Congrats Dbone!

You are one of the lucky few to really see, feel, and hear what Yamaha is truly capable of at the higher level of guitar making, and as you note, Yamaha is second to no one in the caliber of their craft of acoustic guitar luthierie.

If you are able, it would be a delight to hear some sound clips of you and your new Excalibre!

And truly...Warmest good wishes and prayers for the continued health and safety of your wife and your family, and all the medical people, and support staff at her work, in their absolutely heroic efforts to care for all the folks fighting Covid-19!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Yeah, I cannot agree more with you man. I feel very lucky and fortunate to have found this instrument. I suspect that they could charge double what I paid for this thing and still get some to bite. They really are that good. If they were that high in price I certainly wouldn't be able to justify it and would be out, but yeah....Partly because the value proposition would be far less at that point...This is gonna sound really silly, but they almost feel like a guitar for those in the know. LOL. That's a small circle in these parts. I kid.

Yeah, perhaps I can try and put a sound clip up eventually somewhere once I actually acquire some reasonable equipment for doing so. I have aspirations to perhaps do some recording, so I would like to pick some mics up etc...Stay tuned on that...Kinda licking my guitar purchasing wounds right now, and I still have one more guitar coming...

In the meantime, I found these resources to be quite good. Like most Youtube videos, it's not like being there, but a few of these are of reasonable quality/usefulness for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoUukKSRMWQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClFurEQMWbY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YITedf3wbFs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg7XGDmrLqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QebCiR4Cs

This is not the best quality, but for some reason I find it still does a great job of getting across the tone, resonance, and power of this guitar. Again, missing quality, but still very useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foDg0T9C7t0

FINALLY, if you want a really great laugh, and a decent close up look at the guitar in reasonable quality this isn't bad...LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtm3avfgirU
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-27-2020, 03:21 PM

The top of the line Yamahas are among the best.
I play a Yamaha keyboard for a living, and it sounds amazing, and I've had very few quality control issues and great customer service over the last 22 years with Yamaha.
That LL56 is a stunner.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:17 PM

I promise. This will be my last post in here unless responding to others. I did not think it was possible to fall in love with an inanimate object until now lol

It hasn’t hugged me back yet so I don’t think the feeling is mutual ...This is certainly my version of a truly inspiring instrument, and it is definitely contributing to my wanting to play more. Between this and actually having a little more time these days, I’m hoping for a little extra progression in my guitar journey

Part of this is likely the novelty of the whole thing, but I do feel part of it will have staying power. The same thing did not happen for me with my RainSong, and definitely not with my initial laminate Aria . The RainSong is a great guitar, without a doubt, but it just did not invoke the same kinda response in me for whatever the reason. Feels a little more on the utilitarian side or something. If that makes any sense.

I have heard a number of comments from people saying that it can be helpful to have an instrument you truly feel great playing, that it can be motivating, contribute to your progression, etc...I believe this now more than I did before. Perhaps for others it matters not at all. For me it does make a difference from what I can tell.

Part of me feels a little silly for saying all this, but I feel that it’s true. Before now I honestly thought it was a bit silly when I saw others say similar things. I get it now a bit more. I think when you’re truly into your guitar it simply adds to the already great experience of learning the guitar. It does for some I think.

I am not a material kind of person in the least. This I know about myself. This is the first time in a long time I remember letting something material infect my brain like this...lol...hehehe...I think I will make an exception for instruments that hit me in this way.

Hope everyone is doing well in their respective likely isolated situations. This guitar is certainly making mine a little more tolerable

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-29-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I promise. This will be my last post in here unless responding to others. I did not think it was possible to fall in love with an inanimate object until now lol

It hasn’t hugged me back yet so I don’t think the feeling is mutual ...This is certainly my version of a truly inspiring instrument, and it is definitely contributing to my wanting to play more. Between this and actually having a little more time these days, I’m hoping for a little extra progression in my guitar journey

Part of this is likely the novelty of the whole thing, but I do feel part of it will have staying power. The same thing did not happen for me with my RainSong, and definitely not with my initial laminate Aria . The RainSong is a great guitar, without a doubt, but it just did not invoke the same kinda response in me for whatever the reason. Feels a little more on the utilitarian side or something. If that makes any sense.

I have heard a number of comments from people saying that it can be helpful to have an instrument you truly feel great playing, that it can be motivating, contribute to your progression, etc...I believe this now more than I did before. Perhaps for others it matters not at all. For me it does make a difference from what I can tell.

Part of me feels a little silly for saying all this, but I feel that it’s true. Before now I honestly thought it was a bit silly when I saw others say similar things. I get it now a bit more. I think when you’re truly into your guitar it simply adds to the already great experience of learning the guitar. It does for some I think.

I am not a material kind of person in the least. This I know about myself. This is the first time in a long time I remember letting something material infect my brain like this...lol...hehehe...I think I will make an exception for instruments that hit me in this way.

Hope everyone is doing well in their respective likely isolated situations. This guitar is certainly making mine a little more tolerable

Cheers
Hi Dbone:

Thanks for your link to this thread on your LL-56 Custom. Honestly, this has to be one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. Your pictures are gorgeous, and I am happy for you, and happy that the guitar was not damaged. Obviously it was well worth the wait. Enjoy this most splendid of instruments. Stay safe.

Yamaha DW-15
Yamaha LD-10
Yamaha FG-461S
Yamaha FG- 450SA
Recording King RD10
Old 03-30-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextDoor View Post
Hi Dbone:

Thanks for your link to this thread on your LL-56 Custom. Honestly, this has to be one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. Your pictures are gorgeous, and I am happy for you, and happy that the guitar was not damaged. Obviously it was well worth the wait. Enjoy this most splendid of instruments. Stay safe.
Best of luck on your search. The LL26 would be a tremendous choice for you should you ultimately choose to go in that direction. My best advice to you is to follow “guitar heart” and your ears. Get what ever floats your boat. If you are in fact the type to hold guitars I wouldn’t worry about resale all that much. A lot of people around here buy and sell guitars on the regular, so that is a major factor for them.

Based on your signature you seem to like your Yamahas. You’d be right at home

Let us know what you end up doing. If you search there are are several others around here that have acquired 26 and 36 level guitars as well.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-21-2020, 08:04 PM

That is an absolute beauty!
One of the biggest mistakes (musically speaking) was getting rid of an LL45 that I had.
I am thinking I see a new LL or LJ in my future.
I wish Yamaha still had the custom shop open. I accidentally found the brochure that had all the options you could select from. It truly was a custom shop.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:17 PM

They still call it a custom shop. They will make a 20k LL86 for ya if ya want from what I understand ;-0

I think they still do custom work for certain types of of customers. That is my understanding. Not for average joe customers Like myself.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-21-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
They still call it a custom shop. They will make a 20k LL86 for ya if ya want from what I understand ;-0

I think they still do custom work for certain types of of customers. That is my understanding. Not for average joe customers Like myself.

Dbone,
if you send me a PM I will share the story of what I recently went through with Yamaha in trying to get a custom guitar built.

Paul
Old 04-22-2020, 09:17 PM

That guitar looks awesome.....love the Yamahas and that is top of the line....enjoy it and stay healthy.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 04-30-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:

For the record, I wanted to quote and correct myself here in this thread. I found out today direct from Yamaha Canada headquarters that they will not even make a stock LL86 any more for an average joe, let alone do a high end custom build. Not that a lot of folks on here are Jonesin’ for 20k Yamaha, but I just wanted to post this up and set the record straight in this thread where I know I stated that they would. I really thought that before.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion