The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-19-2020, 12:55 PM

Apparently, this guitar is 5622 and not a 5620 as I initially thought and only $487 with tax. Nonetheless, after changing strings, and nothing else, I plugged it into a small Blackstar amp hoping it would sound better. Everything was set half way through the rotation. Result: nothing. No sound at all from amp while strumming the guitar. Plugged in the headphone to listen while I strummed and twisted controls. Again, nothing. After that, I put the guitar on a stand and pondered this particular Gretsch’s fate.

As to the fret work, it is hard to say. The high action made it difficult to play acoustically and painful after twenty minutes or so. I don’t work on my guitars. That is what I pay my luthier to do.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

The easy solution is to return it for a refund or exchange. No sound through the amp probably is a jack issue or a switch, but it might be the cable or something with the wiring. Your luthier could easily figure it out if you want to go that route. In reality, a guitar isn't all that complicated. Some simple tests will tell what's going on. And as far as the setup, that's pretty basic unless the neck is warped.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohen View Post
Apparently, this guitar is 5622 and not a 5620 as I initially thought and only $487 with tax. Nonetheless, after changing strings, and nothing else, I plugged it into a small Blackstar amp hoping it would sound better. Everything was set half way through the rotation. Result: nothing. No sound at all from amp while strumming the guitar. Plugged in the headphone to listen while I strummed and twisted controls. Again, nothing. After that, I put the guitar on a stand and pondered this particular Gretsch’s fate.

As to the fret work, it is hard to say. The high action made it difficult to play acoustically and painful after twenty minutes or so. I don’t work on my guitars. That is what I pay my luthier to do.
You mentioned damage to the shipping container. That could be the cause of your problems. Best to contact seller ASAP to make things right for you.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:41 AM

Update from the OP: I purchased a 2622 from GC and it arrived in perfect shape. I’m very impressed with the fit and finish; I can’t find a single flaw on it. Setup was good out of the box but after letting it acclimate I put a set of 11s on it to get a feel for things before letting my favorite tech do a full inspection & set-up.

Again, I’m very pleased at this price point & my previous electrics were American made Fenders. Now I just have to decide whether I’m going with straight 11s or moving to a wound third. Also, I need to find a decent practice amp; the 20+ year old Fender frontman 15 from the attic isn’t going to cut it! Right now I’m just running a Vox stomplab through a full-range PA.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
...I need to find a decent practice amp...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp
Old 02-20-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Update from the OP: I purchased a 2622 from GC and it arrived in perfect shape. I’m very impressed with the fit and finish; I can’t find a single flaw on it. Setup was good out of the box but after letting it acclimate I put a set of 11s on it to get a feel for things before letting my favorite tech do a full inspection & set-up.

Again, I’m very pleased at this price point & my previous electrics were American made Fenders. Now I just have to decide whether I’m going with straight 11s or moving to a wound third. Also, I need to find a decent practice amp; the 20+ year old Fender frontman 15 from the attic isn’t going to cut it! Right now I’m just running a Vox stomplab through a full-range PA.
Glad to hear it!! I also have a 2622 (CB P90s) and it is just a great sounding and playing guitar! I love the tone through my Princeton Reverb RI. I would think any good quality amp would work well for yours. Maybe take a trip to GC and try out a few. They should have a Streamliner like yours available as a tester for various amps. One to consider is the Superchamp.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:15 PM

Steve, I looked at this amp online and noted some described it as pretty dark. What’s your experience? Also considering the Vox AV15 & the Mustang LT25.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
This is the ticket!!!
Old 02-20-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Steve, I looked at this amp online and noted some described it as pretty dark. What’s your experience? Also considering the Vox AV15 & the Mustang LT25.
I don’t have experience with the Bugera V5 but I’ve read consistent reports regarding dark voicing - which if true is a bad thing - maybe a speaker swap would help - I don’t know the answer but I’ve noticed complaints about regular humbuckers being “muddy” and I think that pickup type is a good test for quality of performance - over on another forum there has been testing of some extremely inexpensive humbuckers against well known / more expensive - all this is to say the science behind a good pickup of that configuration is well known, no secret and easily accessible.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Steve, I looked at this amp online and noted some described it as pretty dark. What’s your experience?
I've been using this amp as my band-practice/coffeehouse-gig amp for the last three years, mostly with my first-version Gretsch 5622 (3 Super Hi-lo'Tron pickups) - also used it on several occasions with a Godin CW II archtop (P-90's) and Gibson LP goldtop/P-90 Tribute - and since I've never used it with full-size humbuckers I'll give my impressions in that light...

First off, this puppy's all about old-school vintage-amp tone in a modern package - if you're looking for '60s blackface Fender brightness and edge, you're not going to find it here; this is a single-ended Class-A circuit, with roots in the circa-1950 early days of the modern electric guitar (sweet is the operative word here) - if you've ever heard/played through a tweed Fender or pre-Top Boost Vox you'll find a lot to like, and if your taste runs toward harder styles this one can be pushed deep into the tone zone without ice-pick highs or OSHA-hazard volume...

FYI there's also a built-in attenuator and a headphone out - power down to 0.1W, plug in the phones for 3AM practice without P.O.'ing your neighbors/S.O./cat, or open up the master volume and fill a 100-150 seat house with rich tubey goodness (if you've never played a low-power tube amp you'll be surprised just how loud it can get)...

If you're into push-button instant gratification look elsewhere - this is a four-dial setup (gain/tone/volume/reverb) with a single tone control - but if you're willing to take the time to explore the possible combinations of guitar/amp settings you'll find a load of useful tones in this little $199 package; if you're serious about the electric guitar thing you will need a low-power all-tube amp sooner or later - boutique amps of this type have become a secret weapon of the studio set - and with a tube upgrade (a 15-minute DIY job with this little tone box) you can go toe-to-toe with similar items selling for four and five times the price...

YMMV...
Old 02-20-2020, 08:14 PM

I decided I wanted .011 flat wounds with a wound G on mine, so I took it to my local tech. He said he did some minor nut work and tweaked the truss rod and it was good to go. He was complimentary of the guitar. I played it for a couple of hours this afternoon through 2 different amps. Very pleased with the guitar.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:20 PM

I like tubes ... restore old tube radios ... run an all tube headphone amp ... used to run an all tube Traynor 4x10 so the Bugera was darn attractive. However, I tripped across a used Mustang GT40 in mint condition at a steal and had to give it a go. Having a blast so far!
Old 03-08-2020, 11:06 AM

This guitar continues to impress me. It's becoming my go to guitar for the jazz improv workshop I am attending. I put flatwounds on it per Steve DeRosa's recommendation. I am liking them so much that I'm going to put them on my hollow body Gretsch, too.

I have an Eastman ES335 type guitar that is really nice, but I am gravitating to this guitar over it. With the deal coupon that I used on the Gretsch, it cost less than 1/2 what the Eastman cost. Maybe I need to put the flatwounds on the Eastman and see what I think.

For portability, I'm running the Gretsch through a Vox modeling amp with a Vox AC30 model for the workshop. I also have an EL84 tube amp. This guitar and that amp are really cool together.

Last edited by loco gringo; 03-08-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:19 AM

Harley Benton Big Tone just over 200 bucks!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've been using this amp as my band-practice/coffeehouse-gig amp for the last three years, mostly with my first-version Gretsch 5622 (3 Super Hi-lo'Tron pickups) - also used it on several occasions with a Godin CW II archtop (P-90's) and Gibson LP goldtop/P-90 Tribute - and since I've never used it with full-size humbuckers I'll give my impressions in that light...

First off, this puppy's all about old-school vintage-amp tone in a modern package - if you're looking for '60s blackface Fender brightness and edge, you're not going to find it here; this is a single-ended Class-A circuit, with roots in the circa-1950 early days of the modern electric guitar (sweet is the operative word here) - if you've ever heard/played through a tweed Fender or pre-Top Boost Vox you'll find a lot to like, and if your taste runs toward harder styles this one can be pushed deep into the tone zone without ice-pick highs or OSHA-hazard volume...

FYI there's also a built-in attenuator and a headphone out - power down to 0.1W, plug in the phones for 3AM practice without P.O.'ing your neighbors/S.O./cat, or open up the master volume and fill a 100-150 seat house with rich tubey goodness (if you've never played a low-power tube amp you'll be surprised just how loud it can get)...

If you're into push-button instant gratification look elsewhere - this is a four-dial setup (gain/tone/volume/reverb) with a single tone control - but if you're willing to take the time to explore the possible combinations of guitar/amp settings you'll find a load of useful tones in this little $199 package; if you're serious about the electric guitar thing you will need a low-power all-tube amp sooner or later - boutique amps of this type have become a secret weapon of the studio set - and with a tube upgrade (a 15-minute DIY job with this little tone box) you can go toe-to-toe with similar items selling for four and five times the price...

YMMV...
I second this. Love my V5. Especially with my Gretsch Country Gentleman that I bought for myself as a retirement present.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars