The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-16-2020, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Default "Crossing Over"

This one of mine from about 15 years ago when I was just getting back into playing and into recording, so watch the volume or it can get harsh. A bit of a raggy blues mix.

http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Mu...ossingOver.wav

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-16-2020, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

VERY nice.

I was trying to think of a lyrical storyline that would go along with it. There's a bluesy portion that could be any low-down blues story. Though kinda tongue in cheek. But the bridge sounds more carnival like. Or ragtime. From an instrumental point, the two movements go together quite well and give variety. From a lyrical standpoint (if I were trying to conjure up a story), I wouldn't know where to go with it.

But so what. It works great.

(Is it about anything? )
Old 03-17-2020, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
VERY nice.

I was trying to think of a lyrical storyline that would go along with it. There's a bluesy portion that could be any low-down blues story. Though kinda tongue in cheek. But the bridge sounds more carnival like. Or ragtime. From an instrumental point, the two movements go together quite well and give variety. From a lyrical standpoint (if I were trying to conjure up a story), I wouldn't know where to go with it.

But so what. It works great.

(Is it about anything? )
Thanks Marshall. Pure instrumental tune, no particular lyrical story line was in mind.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Most instrumentals (symphonies even) take inspiration from something. It helps with the coherence of the piece. I'm not saying you need that here. I'm just saying it's usually quite common to do so.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Most instrumentals (symphonies even) take inspiration from something. It helps with the coherence of the piece. I'm not saying you need that here. I'm just saying it's usually quite common to do so.
Inspiration from something most likely. Usually not something based on some lyrics however. Beginning inspiration could be a melody line or some chord progressions, a hook, a rhythm, etc..
My main influence has been classical music mixed in secondarily with some other genres. I use that background in what I compose. As far a starting out on something with some story or picture
or mood capture in mind I have done that with a rather specific focus on occasions including such compositions as "Nowhere To Run", "Bathsheba's Waltz", "In The Mists Of Time", "Three Steps
To Joy", "Hannah And Her Chickens", "Montezuma", "By Hook Or By Crock",etc

Last edited by rick-slo; 03-18-2020 at 01:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell