The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-06-2020, 10:53 AM

Default Gibson ES-140 copy

Is there an ES-140 for the working man ? Well the poor working man......actually the cheap working man.

Seems like every guitar out there has a quality import replica or close to it. But nothing really out there that is like the 140 am I right ?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:23 PM

Default Gibson ES-140 copy

Not quite, but if you're looking for a full-depth small-body archtop at a bargain price this is about all there is TMK:

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/...g75_5b_04.html
Old 03-06-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Not quite, but if you're looking for a full-depth small-body archtop at a bargain price this is about all there is TMK:

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/...g75_5b_04.html

Thats a nice looking guitar. Would prefer a P90 setup since this is too close to my epi lp. What’s the the consensus on the Epi 339 p90 model ?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsdds View Post
Thats a nice looking guitar. Would prefer a P90 setup since this is too close to my epi lp. What’s the the consensus on the Epi 339 p90 model ?

The 339 Epi P90 gets a lot of love on this forum. There are many threads to be found by a search of this forum.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Thats a nice looking guitar. Would prefer a P90 setup since this is too close to my epi lp...
These guys make humbucker-size replacements in a variety of configurations - P-90, Dynasonic, Gretsch, Fender Wide-range, among others; decent-sounding stuff, fairly inexpensive, and given the price of the guitar it might be well worth buying as a "project" instrument and customizing it to your needs with upgraded electronics:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized_c_578.html
Old 03-07-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I love the sound and light weight of my Epi 339 P90. Less loved, but tolerated OK, is the "slim taper D" neck. It's a little flat for my taste, with a little too much shoulder, but I adapt. I liked the pickups so much that I purchased 2 extra sets for use in other guitars.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I love the sound and light weight of my Epi 339 P90. Less loved, but tolerated OK, is the "slim taper D" neck. It's a little flat for my taste, with a little too much shoulder, but I adapt. I liked the pickups so much that I purchased 2 extra sets for use in other guitars.

Cool. I want a thinline/semi hollow something and the Es140 now looking at it is probably impossible to replicate for cheap.

Also not wanting another humbucker or single coil Strat sound. Looks like the es339 might be a good fit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars