The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-05-2010, 12:31 PM

Default Eye Of A Hurricane: EZ Guitar Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3txMPTn5t-k

When I stumbled across earthworm's video of this song a few weeks back, it reminded me that I used to play it back in the '90s. I always liked it, but drifted away from playing it because plenty of other folks were covering it back then. (If I'm gonna be cliche, I prefer to be ultra-cliche.) Earthworm's vid was the first time I'd heard it in years, so I presume its safe to dust it off and bring it back.

Gary
Old 09-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Nice vocals....Very cool..First time I've ever heard it! So you're safe.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the nice comment, ccarnucci.

I still have a little polishing to do on the phrasing, but it feels good to be playing Eye Of A Hurricane again. To my way of thinking, its a well-written song which works on multiple levels (story, melody & groove).

Gary
Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 PM

Hi, Gary - good to see you here. Tune is great, the performance on top and high energy as usual.

Sound is not great though - guitar sounds like it's under a blanket, very muffled.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Hi rick,

I've had several complaints about my guitar sound with the Anthem system, so you're not the lone stranger on that. I'm happy with the guitar sound, but it may be that my idea of a good UST/mic balance (an adjustable feature of the Anthem SL) isn't to everyone's taste.

Its also possible that the guitar sounds dull, in comparison to the vocal, because I've applied some reverb on the vocal mic, but none on the guitar. The Anthem sound is very dry, and I'm recording direct to mixer here.

Its occured to me recently that I may be compromising my guitar signal by running it thru my Harmony-G pedal. I'll be changing my signal chain to send my Platinum preamp's "tuner out" signal to the pedal, while sending the main signal straight to the mixer.

Lastly, this Taylor is a somewhat mellow sounding guitar. It doesn't have the crystalline highs of my spruce/rosewood guitars.

Gary
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Might be fine live, too, and just not recording well.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Hi Rick,

Today I did a direct-from-mixer demo recording of the PUTW I/O UST in my sparkley little spruce/rosewood concert-sized Crafter. I'll be interesting to see what folks think of that vid (once I get it up). Sure sounds good to me.

I'm looking forward to some recorded comparisons of the I/O UST with the MiniFlex 2Mic and Anthem systems.

Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell