The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-29-2020, 04:27 PM

Default Acoustic Uprising Documentary free

Given that the world now appears to be off work for the next month or so (fingers crossed it's just a few weeks), the good people at Acoustic Uprising have made their film free on YouTube. You may know this already. I only just found out and thought I'd share it, which is the main point of forums such as these.

It's about the recent rise of percussive fingerstyle guitar.

Thanks to Drew and the team.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:43 PM

I've tried to watch this film, and there's no doubt some very talented people featured in it...

But I CAN NOT get thru the continuous slappy whappy tappy going on...

It's all right if used to accentuate a piece once in awhile, (Tommy E does that to good effect) but a little bit goes a lonnng way...

It's one of the main reasons I can't listen to most of the CandyRat performers...
Old 03-29-2020, 05:52 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post

But I CAN NOT get thru the continuous slappy whappy tappy going on...

Thanks for the chuckle - needed it!

Michael and early Don Ross are about as far as I can take it as well.

I understand and appreciate the talent it takes to work the percussion in, but as I age, I tend to like melody on the strings only

Old 03-29-2020, 06:10 PM

music is melody, not poetry or noise. Thanks for sharing for those that like that kind of stuff.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:49 AM

Great film, bought it on DVD ages ago. Tommy E's quote in my sig is from that film. Music is of course as much about rhythm as it is melody, and these guys have that in spades.

I 'd say the film is not just about the rise of modern fingerstyle but just as much about the sense of community that has grown with it. Players supporting one another joined by an interest to push the boundaries of the acoustic guitar, the challenge of arranging modern rock/pop music to encompass as much musical content of the original as possible. Amateurs learning their favourite players' tunes/arrangements and uploading them to Youtube then getting a fanbase of their their own...composing their own music, then the talented ones might get signed or get offers to tour, soon new young players are covering their tunes and so on.

I can think of at least two players in that film used to post here and now have successful careers. The film's makers were briefly forum sponsors too.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 03-30-2020, 04:50 PM

There are so many highly talented musicians in that film, it makes the mind boggle. Particularly good to see players like Declan Zapala, Stuart Ryan and Eric Roche mentioned or interviewed alongside the obvious well-known players like Preston Reed, Don Ross, Pierre Bensusan, Andy McKee and Michael Hedges. Reading the credits too, I realised I actually have all but three of the songs featured.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi all, Drew Roller here. The guy who made this movie!

Glad to hear people are getting something from the film. I put my heart and soul into it.

Cheers
Drew

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN