The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 06:29 PM

You should keep your eyes open for an LL500. They could be the rarest of all.
They were the top of the line made in the custom Japan shop from 1999-2004.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...0211/ll500.pdf

I have had one for about 15 years, they are better (to my ear) than the LL26/36 as I compared them side by side. Incredibly responsive and articulate.
I don't play mine much since I have a Goodall and Brazilian Larrivees, but whenever I do I gain appreciation for how great it is. Very intricate wood binding and backstop, great craftsmanship.

LL500

LL500 BACK
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 03-30-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsforlife View Post
Yeah, believe me: I can get way too sentimentally attached to my instruments... I regularly post up pictures of guitars gone by on social media (should probably caption them, “r.i.p.” or something or other!).

Honestly, guilds are great guitars. When I started playing about 20 years ago, I think they may have been part of the top or big three, If not, certainly 4 (can’t remember where Taylor was in the mix-but surely coming on strong). Gibson and Martin being the others that I am aware of.

In my particular market they had a certain popularity, that coupled with the fact that some of my favorite artists played them—this was the 90’s—got me started on my journey.

They were once thought to be suitable substitutes for some of the other makers because they were slightly cheaper. They have their fans, but they are far far fewer than the rest. And especially with the many many relocations of factories since the closing of the famed Westerly, R. I. plant in 2001.

Since then, they’ve been to Corona (I think?), Tacoma, New Hartford & now Cordoba- or wherever that factory is...again, I think!

I haven’t honestly kept up with all the changes and I’m one of their biggest fans. Locally, they’ve not had a presence new in shops—save the foreign / import models —since that time (~apx. turn of the century).

Let’s Talk Guild is the forum to be brought up to speed in rather short order should you choose to dive into that pool. They have their own space, and sound, etc. I like them because they’re what I know (though the old Yamaha reminds me more of some of them than any other I’ve owned).

The models I referenced are all dreads. The D-40 would be like a D-18, I think... the guild forum is full of nerds and I say this in the most complimentary way (it is on a much smaller scale than here, in terms of sheer numbers; kind of like the popularity of the brand).

I don’t have any experience with the Tacoma D-50 bluegrass special. But they do. First hand, in some cases. Off hand I believe it’s got an Adirondack/red spruce top, and Indian rosewood back and sides. If it doesn’t say B.G., then I think it is Sitka Sorice—

If I were given a black check: I’d probably be on the lookout for an F-30. This is kind of like a 000–18. Spruce & mahogany. Lots of folks have played these, and the few I’ve gotten my hands on have been perfect for me.

But they, like a lot of other models within the brand and it’s varying nomenclature (like now, for instance), can get mindnumbing-ly confusing. Meaning depending on which era you look at, specs can change...

Sorry again if this is a jumbled mess! Hope there was something in there that was of informative purposes. Best wishes!
Hi GuitarsForLife:

You know I tried that site a few times through links on Google (Let's Talk Guild) and I keep getting a server error. I had hoped to get some info there. It's okay. Of all of the YT videos that I've watched on Guilds I have to say that I was most impressed with the sound of the D-40. Still, all the research often gets a bit overwhelming. I am pretty old school, and back in the day, there were some great family-owned and operated music stores where you could play everything. More personal atmosphere, and not like the Acoustic Room at my local Guitar Center. Even then, they don't display higher end guitars other than vintage guitars that command a high price tag.

Yamaha DW-15
Yamaha LD-10
Yamaha FG-461S
Yamaha FG- 450SA
Recording King RD10
Old 03-30-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
You should keep your eyes open for an LL500. They could be the rarest of all.
They were the top of the line made in the custom Japan shop from 1999-2004.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...0211/ll500.pdf

I have had one for about 15 years, they are better (to my ear) than the LL26/36 as I compared them side by side. Incredibly responsive and articulate.
I don't play mine much since I have a Goodall and Brazilian Larrivees, but whenever I do I gain appreciation for how great it is. Very intricate wood binding and backstop, great craftsmanship.

LL500

LL500 BACK
Hi 247hoopsfan:

I have seen photos of your guitar before when I googled vintage Yamaha guitars. There were always links to the AGF which piqued my interest even more. This is really a stunning instrument. I can only imagine how good she sounds. I can't imagine that there are that many of them available - maybe in Japan. I would jump at the chance to get a LL-400 or LL-500. Who knows? I might get lucky and see one for sale on Guitar Center's site one day.

Yamaha DW-15
Yamaha LD-10
Yamaha FG-461S
Yamaha FG- 450SA
Recording King RD10
Old 03-30-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextDoor View Post
Hi 247hoopsfan:

I have seen photos of your guitar before when I googled vintage Yamaha guitars. There were always links to the AGF which piqued my interest even more. This is really a stunning instrument. I can only imagine how good she sounds. I can't imagine that there are that many of them available - maybe in Japan. I would jump at the chance to get a LL-400 or LL-500. Who knows? I might get lucky and see one for sale on Guitar Center's site one day.
You can get an email alert through Ebay, probably Reverb.com as well if you wish to find an LL400 or 500. The 500 might be pricey because of the Brazilian. The two models have the same craftsmanship. At the time, the LL500 was just $200 more if I recall.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:41 PM

Default First Fortune

My old Yamaha FG-180 1968 Dread performed yeoman service for years from high school through overseas in the Navy 3 times, riding around bungee-corded onto the padded sissy bar on my Triumph Tiger. It hangs on the wall in my guitar build area in our downstairs...The bridge has rolled toward the neck a bit but the bridge is still glued down tight. She needs a refret job bad. Not sure yet if I can get away without replacing the fretboard its got divots. I loved the rounded "V" shape of the neck. Self-taught after learning theory from a piano teacher. She had a ruler to whack knuckles on un-arched fingers. I had to learn "Edelweiss" for a stage production of Sound of Music and THAT was my intro to playing guitar. Now I'm retired and building my first acoustic OM from a kit. Ya never can tell where you might end up. I loved doing a duet with my brother in the Navy with the Captain sitting 8 ft away singing "Ship of Fools" from Jerry Garcia for Talent Night. Not well received.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:26 PM

Hi again!

Yes, they were just doing a site migration or upgrade recently, and were thus down server wise or whatever you call it—def not a tech guy! It’s pretty nice now... I know I recommended it; but that’s only because of my affinity for the brand, and I’ve been reading it for a really long time (like 15 years)— that said, I’m sure if you posted a particular question about the brand or a specific model here, you might even get a more informed, knowledgeable response.

Ok-

So if you like that model, for a chunk of the 90’s they made something called a DV-6 (it was to in essence replace that / the DV-52 replacing the D-50 / which may or may not be Guild’s sort of D-28). What these ‘v’ models represent is a vintage type series that strives for such tone when brand new. They had different bracing (scalloped or shaved as opposed to straight). And I will say of the two DV-6 NT HG’s I once owned, they were arguably the two best playing and certainly sounding guitars of the bunch (& yet those D-25’s & D-4’s with their archback design are still my favorite: yeah, I make a lot of sense).

One commonality that they did have, both being bought used (one at MGR; the other GC), is that they were both nearly played to death. I highly suspect one spent much of its life in Texas smoke filled bars.. one of the two was actually a little bit smaller seemingly in body, but this may have simply been an anomaly (reminded me of my early 90’s Taylor 410).

The only other DV-6 I’d seriously auditioned was in person at a store, and was the plainer satin finished version. It sounded lifeless. But that may have just been a dud (& nothing to do with the finish). So back to the letters: ‘NT’ is natural top “‘ ( as opposed to SB-sunburst). & ‘HG’ refers to high gloss finish. If singer / songwriter is your thing, it’s a very viable option, in my opinion and for my tastes and sensibilities.

Now another alternative to the D-40 is a D-35 (which those at the other forum would know for sure the differences; but I’m guessing they’re purely cosmetic, and could probably be counted on one hand, with a finger or two to spare!). They are older. I’ve been watching / listening to an artist on YouTube called Weyes Blood & it looks like she’s got one of those. But I’m not 100% certain.

Keep in mind the ones from the 70’s, like other major makers of the time, will be built more like a tank, meaning on the sturdy or heavy side. But perhaps my sweetest sounding dread ever was an all mahogany early 70’s flat backed D-25, with a miraculous, stunning dark red finish, when viewed up close, revealed a very detailed pretty grain in the wood. But the thing was magical. Had it not been for a girl I was seeing at the time who’d recommend I get it for Christmas—after being out of playing for a few years (long story short, she eventually backed over it with my car)—id still be enjoying it! You see many more of the cherry red ones with arch back from that particular period, though...

All that said, my nippon gakki s keeping me great company as of late. Such a quiet comfort late at night: & definitely falls into the category of, “desert island guitar.” : )
Old 07-24-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextDoor View Post

Hi Justin:

Thanks for the info about the posting on Reverb. I watch that site all the time. I did look at the LL16D that is posted. In addition to the LL16D, I saw a used FG-180 50th Anniversary model with upgrades. I happen to like Mahogany b/s acoustics a lot, and have watched some comparison YT videos with the old 60's FG-180 and the 50th Anniversary model. The newer model sounded phenomenal. The L-15 model that is one of the items I am interested in, a Japan-made custom shop guitar is also on Reverb - mint condition.

I wish that I could actually see a higher end model in person but it's next to impossible. That being said, I bought a used LD-10 from Guitar Center, and it is a beauty, all set up with electronics. I've been really lucky buying used acoustics at Music Go Round as well.

This quest is keeping me centered and focused on something other than work and this health crisis. I am a librarian so I like doing research. LOL.

Deb
I've had my L-15 for around 25 years now. Hand-signed (and built) by renowned Yamaha luthier Terumi "Terry" Nakamoto. This guitar has aged beautifully, and has a one of a kind personality.
There are some scratches and scars, Neck is straight, Bridge and saddle are perfect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
yamaha acoustic, yamaha ll16, yamaha ll35