The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-16-2022, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
For those who may have forgotten - or never knew - this is a Chrysler Hemi:

It's big, it's heavy, it's loud, its gas mileage is measured in tankerloads rather than gallons, and it's as un-PC a piece of machinery as has ever existed (with the arguable exception of the mid-60's Ford 427 SOHC)...

It's also 426 cubic inches (remember those...?) of total bad-to-the-bone American iron, whose actual output exceeded its OEM 425HP rating by 100-125 ponies, runs like a bat out of southwest Hades, can flirt with the magic 1K mark in pure race tune - and you can (legally!) perform regular maintenance/repair/modifications with a decent set of hand tools...

This is the one you want in your '68, Tom - just make sure you have a bulletproof drivetrain/suspension (and a set of sticky tires) to go with it; keep everything else stock-appearing, get a set of historic-vehicle plates (may or may not be available in your location), and leave the guys in the late-model muscle wondering what hit them when Grandpa's Sunday driver gets three or four lengths on them out of the intersection...
CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of folks burned through lots of tires, good times...
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-16-2022, 06:11 AM

Ah, the good old days. My ride back in the '60s was a Chevy El Camino fitted with the (vastly overlooked) L78 engine: Basically, a Corvette 396ci putting out 425hp. Thus, it came badged with the SS tattletale, which was a bit surprising for a truck at the time. I did little to it other than a Hurst shifter, a set of Doug's Headers, some air shocks and a set of big, sticky radial tires. Turned the quarter in 13.2 seconds at 108mph.

But I noticed a company called Speedkore has produced a replica 1968 Charger dubbed, "Hellucination." It's a carbon fiber body with a Hellaphunt 1,000-horsepower supercharged V8 backed by a ZF eight-speed automatic. Talk about neck snapping!

Old 06-16-2022, 09:40 AM

All CF with the Helliphant in it. Now THAT'S a speed demon. Neck-snapping and ground-leaving if it weren't for some (hopefully) aerodynamic design elements.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-16-2022, 11:20 AM

Come on, this is a musical instrument forum! When I saw "Hemi" and "Hurricane" I immediately thought of the Mid-Century Chrysler Warning Sirens. Hemi powered (the original 50s Hemi) they were tens of miles loud and enough wind came out them that they were also used to disperse fog around airstrips: stories were that the sound waves would compress the fog cloud until it caused the moisture in it to rain. Try that with your "this one goes to 11" guitar amps. Can a Marshall Major cause it to rain? No, I thought not.

I'm thinking of a city-wide concert of Varese's "Ionization" -- tell the house sound guy I won't need to mic the siren.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-23-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
...Can a Marshall Major cause it to rain? No, I thought not...
Back in the late-70's one of my gun-club buddies - the head technician for a local appliance/electronics chain - called me early one Saturday morning to tell me he had gotten hold of a Major and a single 4x12" cab and set it up in his garage...

Needless to say, I grabbed my then main squeeze - an original Swedish-made Hagstrom Swede, dead-stock with all-original innards and a set of flatwound 12's - and high-tailed it over to his house in ten minutes flat...

If you've never had the pleasure, forget what you think you know about Marshalls: this one's in a different galaxy altogether - big, fat, bold, and clean when the mighty 100-watter has long since gotten into the "tone zone" and a 50W Plexi is screaming like a demented banshee, with tons of headroom and none of the typical "British amp" tube compression at any useable volume; if Jim Marshall's intention was to build a jazz amp for the arena-rock/metal crowd, this was it...

Oh yeah, did I forget to tell you that this thing is loud: my bud lived about four blocks from a major neighborhood shopping center, and his next-door neighbor - a guitarist himself, who owned a super-sweet silverface Deluxe Reverb and candy-apple red Strat with matching headstock - was able to hear it loud and clear above the din of early Saturday-afternoon Brooklyn traffic...

I didn't stay in it too long - I had too much respect for my hearing - but I can tell you that it rattled every organ in my body that could be rattled, as well as a few that I always thought of as immovable, and it wasn't even breathing hard; I can only imagine what it could have done with a pair of 4x12" cabs...

The only comparison I can draw from personal experience is when I took some test passes in a dragster a few years ago: the off-the-line kick that hammers you to the back of the seat, the seemingly unlimited power that just keeps coming on effortlessly as you hold down the throttle, and the tactile sensations throughout your body as you struggle to rein in this mechanical (or in this case, electronic) behemoth...

Can a Marshall Major make it rain - no, but if there's anything else out there that doesn't require a pit crew to provide the same raw adrenaline rush I've yet to find it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic