The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-29-2022, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Scammers When Selling Guitars on Facebook Marketplace?

Hello AGF,
I have sold tons of guitars and gear. Mostly here but some on Reverb and occasionally on Craigslist but I have never successfully sold any musical instruments or gear on Facebook Marketplace.

Every time I list something, the same thing happens: within minutes, I get a message from someone asking if the item I just listed is still available. It's always from a weird Instagram account.

I tell them, yes, that it is available. They never ask a single thing about the instrument/gear but ask where I am and if I can meet them. I always give them two choice of places to meet, my Jiu Jitsu gym and my Krav Maga gym.

Then they will ask me something about payment. They of course never have the cash but can get it from their cousin or something goofy. Today the "guy" said he didn't have the cash but do I have any other ways I could "receive my funds."

And then they just give up. I assume I'm not answering them in the proper way that allows them to continue the scam. But I'm wondering, what is the scam? I assume they want to find a way to get me to give them the instrument with the agreement that they will pay me later but we never get that far.

These must be automatically generated or something. I've listed other things (household goods) on Marketplace and this only ever happens with music equipment.

I guess I'm more ranting than actually asking anything. Does anyone have any success selling guitars on Marketplace? Maybe I'm wasting my time there.

Matt
Old 05-29-2022, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

One scam, and I'm certain there are others is to pay with Zelle (and probably other means as well). You first get an email from the "Buyer" telling you that he's sent the funds. However, then you get a bogus email from a bank saying that to access the funds, you must first send money to the "Buyer" to somehow inflate your "Business Account" (whether you have one or not.) if someone is dumb enough to send real funds to the "Buyer" even though the bank email is clearly bogus and no over-payment was ever sent to your account, then they won't hear from that "Buyer" again, but I'm sure that puts one on a Premier Sucker's List and other scammers are sure to line up to purchase other items...
Old 05-29-2022, 03:24 PM

WARNING_
a lot of those scammers have access to fake money orders that are good enough to clear your bank AT FIRST. They will be approved and possibly even add the funds to your account BUT in about a week or two the funds will be deleted and you'll get a letter from your banks security department.

Most of these POS's are from Nigeria and have a 'local' sucker they occasionally flip a few hundred bucks to to deliver the Money orders and pick up the stuff....usually the sucker doesn't even know it's a scam either. There was one in Memphis that was an old gramma...picking up guitars and shipping them.

My Favorite is from craigslist "is your ITEM still for sale?"....

If it feels weird or too good, always trust your gut
-BR243a
...and I am No longer suffering from GAS
Old 05-29-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
One scam, and I'm certain there are others is to pay with Zelle (and probably other means as well). You first get an email from the "Buyer" telling you that he's sent the funds. However, then you get a bogus email from a bank saying that to access the funds, you must first send money to the "Buyer" to somehow inflate your "Business Account" (whether you have one or not.) if someone is dumb enough to send real funds to the "Buyer" even though the bank email is clearly bogus and no over-payment was ever sent to your account, then they won't hear from that "Buyer" again, but I'm sure that puts one on a Premier Sucker's List and other scammers are sure to line up to purchase other items...
another scam is the fake money order will be for more than you asked... like a thousand bucks more...They will be nice "because of our error we only ask that you send 500 bucks back...keep the rest because of our mistake"....

and then two weeks later your out 500 bucks and your guitar
-BR243a
...and I am No longer suffering from GAS
Old 05-29-2022, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post
WARNING_
a lot of those scammers have access to fake money orders that are good enough to clear your bank AT FIRST. They will be approved and possibly even add the funds to your account BUT in about a week or two the funds will be deleted and you'll get a letter from your banks security department.
I always wonder if they can do something similar with Venmo or PayPal. Where it looks like the transaction has gone through but somehow it doesn't.

I've always been fine with PayPal here on the AGF but in person must be cash!

Matt
Old 05-29-2022, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I guess I'm more ranting than actually asking anything. Does anyone have any success selling guitars on Marketplace? Maybe I'm wasting my time there.

Matt
I've sold three guitars through a local music buy/gear/swap Facebook group with 20,000 members and have never had anyone attempt to scam me. All guitars sold within a day of listing as I priced them very fairly for a quick sale.

Bandcamp

Old 05-29-2022, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I've sold three guitars through a local music buy/gear/swap Facebook group with 20,000 members and have never had anyone attempt to scam me. All guitars sold within a day of listing as I priced them very fairly for a quick sale.
Interesting! The times I've listed guitars and keyboards, I have added them to a group called something like "Buy/Sell Musical Instruments in East Tennessee" but I also list it on the general Marketplace.

I wonder if it's the general Marketplace listing that is causing the trouble?

Matt
Old 05-29-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

I've had very good luck selling guitars and other stuff on FB marketplace in the past. Lately I've been seeing a number of weirdnesses. One is a "Give me your phone number." demand. I think they might be trying to scam me into a Google Voice scam by inadvertently allowing them access to my phone. I will often try to look at the prospective buyer's FB page. If their location is in another state I ask "Where are you?" I rarely hear from them again.

Sub $400 guitars seem to sell well on FB. Over that and I go to eBay.
Journey Overhead
Zuwei Chinese 000
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyToonz View Post
I've had very good luck selling guitars and other stuff on FB marketplace in the past. Lately I've been seeing a number of weirdnesses. One is a "Give me your phone number." demand. I think they might be trying to scam me into a Google Voice scam by inadvertently allowing them access to my phone. I will often try to look at the prospective buyer's FB page. If their location is in another state I ask "Where are you?" I rarely hear from them again.

Sub $400 guitars seem to sell well on FB. Over that and I go to eBay.
I've seen the phone number one too! They ask for some kind of code or something and then they can use that to do something bad.

Matt
Old 05-29-2022, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

ive sold a lot of gits on facebook marketplace, never an issue...always cash terms, no exceptions, whether its $200.00 or $4000.00

however when buying on facebook there are a ton of scammers out there for sure. I refuse to pay a deposit or a fee to hold or e-transfer..i always offer cash payment when i receive item.

1929 SS Stewart Professional Archtop
George Rizsanyi Custom Quilt Maple Acoustic
Norman B-20 Acoustic
Yamaha G-130 Melvina
1979 Classical Private Que luth
2003 Briarwood YCL-1
1960 Spanish Parlor
2003 A&L Acoustic
1972 Yamaha Acoustic
Fender CD60 Acoustic
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Tele
Yamaha THR5A
Traynor Dynagain30
1965 Ampeg Gemini II
Old 05-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
ive sold a lot of gits on facebook marketplace, never an issue...always cash terms, no exceptions, whether its $200.00 or $4000.00

however when buying on facebook there are a ton of scammers out there for sure. I refuse to pay a deposit or a fee to hold or e-transfer..i always offer cash payment when i receive item.
I wonder if I just have bad luck or if I'm using some keywords or something that triggers it!

Matt
Old 05-30-2022, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Interesting! The times I've listed guitars and keyboards, I have added them to a group called something like "Buy/Sell Musical Instruments in East Tennessee" but I also list it on the general Marketplace.

I wonder if it's the general Marketplace listing that is causing the trouble?

Matt
Could be, I donít think I listed on marketplace, just the instrument buy/sell/swap groups. Cheapest was a Guild at £280 and most expensive was a Lowden that went for £1800.

Bandcamp

Old 06-02-2022, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Whenever I list a guitar on Craigslist the first response is from someone whoís traveling, and is going to send a check covering the cost plus shipping and a few hundred extra. Itís always a scam.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic