The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-17-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Pickup Options

Emerald offers a bunch of pickup options for the X-20. Ghost Piezo, K&K, Baggs Element etc...

Some guitars are shipping with multiple pups like a K&K coupled with a Ghost system.

Can anyone provide some info on the best choice with the most natural sound. If it quacks, I would not be happy. What's the best option? Eyeing one with the Ghost and K&K combo....

Last edited by jtacoustic; 07-17-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:55 PM

Someone posted this on another thread. It does a pretty good job showing those two options separately and together.

https://youtu.be/f_DQiFaSpDw

I own a guitar.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:05 AM

Smile Thanks for the link!

Hi, I have been ready to order a new X20 and considering the Graphtech/K&K combo based on positive feedback I have heard, especially about the K&K contact pickups but, I had little info on how it works and what the install would look and work like. This video was very helpful and I just placed my order for a new X20 with this set up. I do think the folks at Emerald should consider a spot in there website menu for detailed descriptions of each pickup option with videos like this. There may be one and I just didn't find it. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2022, 07:33 AM

I've had an X20 with the K&K + Ghost for the few months now. I keep the K&K all the way up as it give the full warmer sound and the Ghost at about 20% to add some clarity and distinction without it getting too brittle sounding. I strum mostly, but if you finger pick maybe you'd want more of the Ghost. I don't love the tone of under saddle pickups in general and I wouldn't say the Ghost sounds much better or worse that others. I also have a Martin HD-28 with an Anthem in it and set it about the same - full on for the internal mic and about 20% under saddle.

If you use a TRS cable, you will get each pickup out on a separate channel. I did some experimenting around with this but found that I needed to EQ them about the same. Both need a big narrow cut at 600Hz to get rid of the nasal tones and a small wide boost at about 125Hz. I am pretty happy with my tone now. I also use John Pearse 600L strings which to my ears add a lot of warmth to the X20.

I will say that I have become a big fan of the Ghost height adjustability. I was able to get the action dialed in perfect for me.

I think overall the K&K + Ghost combo is great and versatile and I don't regret going for that in my X20.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraKing View Post

I will say that I have become a big fan of the Ghost height adjustability. I was able to get the action dialed in perfect for me.

I think overall the K&K + Ghost combo is great and versatile and I don't regret going for that in my X20.
This would be the main selling point for me on the adjustable bridge. What a cool feature to be able to dial in your intonation and action exactly to your preferences. There were complaints about this in the past and Emerald being the typical class-act company...listened. Could possibly be the only acoustic guitars on the market with this feature. Very forward thinking and cool looking too!

For those interested, you can also get the adjustable bridge without a pickup and Emerald will take $150 off your build. Although adding a K&K later would be very tricky indeed not having the option to use a jig for the install.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber