The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 01:57 PM

Default Opinions on Gibson's Player Port on Generation Series?

I've had my G-00 acoustic for about a month now. It sounds so good and I really like the Player Port on the side. It makes a big difference! If you cover it and then uncover it, there's a significant difference. I think it's a great feature and I wish it was on my other guitars.

What are your thoughts on the Player Port? Some people absolutely hate the idea of having a cut out on the side, but I think it's awesome.

I've played three models of the Generation Series, and I would definitely recommend them!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 05-18-2022, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I liked how the G-45 I tried sounded - it's hard to isolate what effect the port has, but it certainly wasn't offputting to me. In fact the only thing I was unsure about on that guitar was the lack of top binding; other than that it was more to my taste than most other guitars in that price range.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-18-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
I liked how the G-45 I tried sounded - it's hard to isolate what effect the port has, but it certainly wasn't offputting to me. In fact the only thing I was unsure about on that guitar was the lack of top binding; other than that it was more to my taste than most other guitars in that price range.
You may want to check out the first version of the G-45... My G-45 Studio has binding. They are discontinued but there are plenty of used ones available at GC or MF.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 05-18-2022, 03:22 PM

I think some players will derive more benefit from the soundport than others. People who’ve primarily been electric guitar players will benefit, as will fingerstylists and anyone else who plays with a lighter touch.

Players who are longtime acoustic guys who play with a strong right hand won’t find much advantage in the soundport. I file myself into this category: I had two guitars with soundports, but found that they made no difference in my playing. They didn’t make the guitars any easier to hear for me.

So the soundport is a nice feature for some, unnecessary for others.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-18-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I think some players will derive more benefit from the soundport than others. People who’ve primarily been electric guitar players will benefit, as will fingerstylists and anyone else who plays with a lighter touch.

Players who are longtime acoustic guys who play with a strong right hand won’t find much advantage in the soundport. I file myself into this category: I had two guitars with soundports, but found that they made no difference in my playing. They didn’t make the guitars any easier to hear for me.

So the soundport is a nice feature for some, unnecessary for others.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

Yeah it comes down to personal preference and someone's own playing style. I definitely prefer it!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 05-18-2022, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

First, I love my G-00, it's so comfortable, both the neck and the body.

Regarding the port, personally I could take it or leave it. The guitar sounds a little more open and louder with the port. I have a little teak wooden plug for the port that someone was kind enough to make for me. When I put that in, to my ears, the guitar warms up and is fuller sounding. Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me, but that's what I hear and I like that warmer tone more. At home I plug the port, but I don't use it when I'm gigging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg port plug.jpg (23.3 KB, 134 views)

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-18-2022, 04:37 PM

I have always wondered about guitar ports and never had the chance to play a guitar with the port until just the other day. It was a Gibson G-45. I played open strings with the port open and closed and the open position did give me more sound directed to me. If I were ever going to order a custom luthier built guitar, I would go for a sound port.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-18-2022, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Can’t speak to the Gibson model Player Port specifically but I have a sound port in my Kramer and like it. That said, none of my other guitars have a port and I don’t miss it with those instruments. So, I guess I can take it or leave it.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-18-2022, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Personally I don’t pay much attention to it, but I think it does provide more volume. But I agree, the g-00 is great. It has lots of sustain, and a different palette of overtones that I assume come from the walnut and scalloped bracing? It’s my definition of the Gibson sound , even if it’s not the true Gibson sound to owners of j45s and vintage LGs.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:59 PM

I was mightily impressed by a G-00 I played recently. Well made, sounded great. Incredible value. The sound port is a turn off for me aesthetically, but at least it's discrete unlike Taylor's abomination.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:46 AM

Although I've never had a Gibson with one in the shop, I've spent 'way too much time experimenting with ports otherwise. Basically, the guitar puts out low frequency sound about equally in all directions, but as you go up in pitch the sound is more and more going off the top and out of the sound hole toward the audience. The player hears the low end directly, but may only hear high end sound from room reflections. In a big, dead, or noisy room ('restaurant gig') the player may not get much useful feedback, which can be disconcerting (pun intended). A port that the player can see into as they play directs some high frequency sound from inside the guitar toward them. It's not the same sound as what's coming out of the main soundhole because the port is in a different place, of course. Still, it can be a useful 'monitor' in some circumstances. Also, folks with age related high end hearing loss seem to appreciate them. That's the short answer...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion