The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-16-2022, 01:24 PM

Default First tube amp!

I bought a used 007 Fender Bassbreaker for cheap off the local Craigs list. I'm pretty happy with the organic sound but miss reverb. And sense it was cheap, I'm probably going to try a new speaker and tubes just for fun.

Any ideas, advice, spare parts for sale? I'm about to order a Ragin Cajun 10" speaker from Amazon, but I stopped and made this post.

Thanks to all, pic to follow.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:45 PM

Eminence makes a variety of 10" speakers that will allow you to tailor your tone (and/or boost the acoustic output through increased efficiency); thing is, so will swapping tubes, so if you have a finely-tuned ear you might want to do some background research on both fronts before you commit - speaker prices have increased 20% or more in the last year or so, and given current world conditions tube prices are going through the roof even as we speak...

That said, here's a couple of links that'll help you get off to an informed start:

https://eminence.com/collections/gui...t_size=10+Inch
https://www.thetubestore.com/preamp-...ce:asc&show=48
https://www.thetubestore.com/power-t...tomerprice:asc

FWIW I also wouldn't have another amp without reverb - and speaking as one who started out on electric in the mid-60's, without tremolo either; fortunately there's a healthy selection of aftermarket boxes to meet your needs, ranging in price from two to four figures. While not exactly cheap at $300 street the Strymon Flint gets consistently high marks for both construction and tone, and if you feel you'll utilize both effects regularly IMO it'd be well worth the investment...

Good luck - let us know what you decide...
Old 05-18-2022, 05:35 PM

Default Weber Blue Dog speaker

You're wise to research this. Consider the Weber Blue Dog alnico speaker. Look at www.tedweber.com. These are very good durable after-market speakers. I had one in my Deluxe Reverb Re-issue. Sold the amp with the Weber in it or I'd offer to sell you mine.

I also re-tubed my DRRI with NOS tubes I bought at Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe, Arizona. Not sure they're still open. Google search them. It's the real stuff with no frills.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

You might look up a Neunaber Wet Reverb pedal.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-25-2022, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

the Rajun Cajun 10" is a nice speaker. I built a cab for one, and its been a nice addition to just about any amp I've set it under.

As for tubes....do you NEED another set? If not, now may not be the right time (most economical) to buy tubes. If you can even find what you need, and IF they are reasonable, then buy two sets! Mr. Putin is not making the tube market very accessible, and the Chinese factory is apparently shut down for the foreseeable future, leaving only the Czech factory running, who is WAY backordered.

Good luck!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-26-2022, 06:44 PM

I ordered a new Weber speaker and a Boss reverb pedal, no new tubes yet. I'm ready to have a little fun.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:42 PM

I got the Weber D-10 speaker in my Bass Breaker and I have to say I think it's a great sound.

At low volumes, where I mostly play it has a full rich sound and loud a lot of bite. It took all of 5 minuets to swap. I get some pics up this week end.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars