The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-10-2021, 09:10 AM
RodB RodB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South West France.
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Hi Bob

I listened to your second version - sounding pretty good to me.

I didn't find the bass "boomy" as such but I do think it's out of balance with the melody - I want to hear more melody and much less bass emphasis. In my opinion this is down to use of a thumpick - I have always had the same problem and have always found more balance with my thumb nail alone.

Keep it up - sounding good..

Peter
This is what I thought as well Bob - balance - otherwise nice playing and recording.

I suggest it is twofold - taming the thumb and being more definite / deliberate with the melody notes. I like the tone from a thumb pick on some pieces, but usually go without to soften the attack and get the balance overall.
__________________
Rod,

Latest recording: Kite

More Here
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-10-2021, 12:16 PM
SprintBob's Avatar
SprintBob SprintBob is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Covington, LA
Posts: 4,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Hi Bob

I listened to your second version - sounding pretty good to me.

I didn't find the bass "boomy" as such but I do think it's out of balance with the melody - I want to hear more melody and much less bass emphasis. In my opinion this is down to use of a thumpick - I have always had the same problem and have always found more balance with my thumb nail alone.

Keep it up - sounding good..

Peter
Thanks Peter. Iím pretty committed to the thumb pick for two reasons. First is to keep my wife (and my business clients) from freaking out over the long thumbnail Iíd need and second Iíve gotten pretty used to my hand position using the thumb pick. Iíll keep working at lightening it up and also getting more volume out of my fingers. Stay tuned.
__________________
Doerr Trinity 00 (Lutz/Maple)
Edwinson Zephyr 13 Fret 00 (Adi/Coco)
Emerald X-20 (all carbon fiber)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-10-2021, 12:20 PM
RodB RodB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South West France.
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Thanks Peter. Iím pretty committed to the thumb pick for two reasons. First is to keep my wife (and my business clients) from freaking out over the long thumbnail Iíd need and second Iíve gotten pretty used to my hand position using the thumb pick. Iíll keep working at lightening it up and also getting more volume out of my fingers. Stay tuned.
I play without much nail on my thumb - making contact with flesh first as I do fo fingers. If you are committed to thumb picks have you tried FredKelly speed picks - they are the only ones I can use well.
__________________
Rod,

Latest recording: Kite

More Here
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-10-2021, 12:20 PM
SprintBob's Avatar
SprintBob SprintBob is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Covington, LA
Posts: 4,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
This is what I thought as well Bob - balance - otherwise nice playing and recording.

I suggest it is twofold - taming the thumb and being more definite / deliberate with the melody notes. I like the tone from a thumb pick on some pieces, but usually go without to soften the attack and get the balance overall.
Thanks Rod, see above in my response to Peter. I’ve been playing 8 years this spring starting at the ripe old age of 53 and this is probably the first year I have finally started to sound musical. 1-2 years ago, my fingerstyle playing was pretty much a “train wreck” for any audience.

The solo fingerstyle journey certainly has its peaks and plateaus.
__________________
Doerr Trinity 00 (Lutz/Maple)
Edwinson Zephyr 13 Fret 00 (Adi/Coco)
Emerald X-20 (all carbon fiber)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)

Last edited by SprintBob; 01-10-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-10-2021, 12:34 PM
RodB RodB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South West France.
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
.........1-2 years ago, my fingerstyle playing was pretty much a ďtrain wreckĒ for any audience.....
Then you have come a long way already 👍
__________________
Rod,

Latest recording: Kite

More Here
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-10-2021, 02:10 PM
SprintBob's Avatar
SprintBob SprintBob is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Covington, LA
Posts: 4,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
Then you have come a long way already 👍
Thanks, and I do use the Fred Kelly Speed Picks.
__________________
Doerr Trinity 00 (Lutz/Maple)
Edwinson Zephyr 13 Fret 00 (Adi/Coco)
Emerald X-20 (all carbon fiber)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-10-2021, 08:40 PM
j3ffr0 j3ffr0 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,594
Default

I'm not upstairs to listen on anything better, but both recording translate well on my 13" MacBook. I like the second one a little better, but both sound good. Nice and warm -- at least on the small speakers.

Nice recordings, nice tone, nice playing, nice tunes. Can't ask for much more than that.
__________________
Alvarez DY61, MC90C
Crafter TRV23EQ/N
Huss and Dalton 00-SP, DS Crossroads
Kenny Hill Performance
Taylor Baritone 8, 314ce, 356e
Timberline T60HGc
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-12-2021, 09:44 AM
SprintBob's Avatar
SprintBob SprintBob is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Covington, LA
Posts: 4,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I'm not upstairs to listen on anything better, but both recording translate well on my 13" MacBook. I like the second one a little better, but both sound good. Nice and warm -- at least on the small speakers.

Nice recordings, nice tone, nice playing, nice tunes. Can't ask for much more than that.
Thanks for the feedback.
__________________
Doerr Trinity 00 (Lutz/Maple)
Edwinson Zephyr 13 Fret 00 (Adi/Coco)
Emerald X-20 (all carbon fiber)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-12-2021, 11:40 AM
jim1960 jim1960 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Hi Jim,

I followed your advice and raised the mics to where they are pointing down to the guitar rather than up and first impression listening through the monitoring headphones is that it does reduce the breathing noise. Thanks for the tip!
Glad that one is paying off for you.
__________________
Jim
2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce


SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-22-2021, 04:13 PM
DustyD DustyD is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 209
Default

Bob,

Can I ask you what mic stand that is? I've been looking for something similar for a while. Recording sound great! Nice and warm and articulate
__________________
My Bandcamp - Solo Acoustic Recordings

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice"

-Jim Croce
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-23-2021, 02:32 PM
SprintBob's Avatar
SprintBob SprintBob is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Covington, LA
Posts: 4,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyD View Post
Bob,

Can I ask you what mic stand that is? I've been looking for something similar for a while. Recording sound great! Nice and warm and articulate
Triad Orbit, pricey but worth it if you want sturdy and the last mic stand(s) youíll ever need.
__________________
Doerr Trinity 00 (Lutz/Maple)
Edwinson Zephyr 13 Fret 00 (Adi/Coco)
Emerald X-20 (all carbon fiber)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=