The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-11-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Talk is cheap. If you like what you see & hear here, it is simply my iPhone 6S with a Shure MV-88 mic plugged into it.

First video I'm playing electric through a pair of amps and the mic is simply laying on the ground between them. No monitoring except setting the record level so it wouldn't red line much.

And for an example of straight dry recording of an acoustic, there's this. The mic is sitting on a table directly in front of me. No monitoring. Simply plug & play.

Regards,
Howard
Thanks for showing the very decent quality that can easily be obtained through a simple setup. For many people, this is all that they would want.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:44 AM

Another +1 for recording the sound and video separately (leave the camera audio running to help with sync, definitely do the handclap or similar too). Getting the position of the mic right is crucial for good sound and that definitely won't be where the camera is*. It is possible to record the audio to the video app using a remote mic but it's not really any more hassle to use a separate recorder and stick them together in post and the end result will almost always be much better.

* I see you have mics and an audio interface so I'm guessing you already know this, just sticking it up there for those who come along later.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-11-2021, 11:58 AM

I am new to making videos but once I learned the basics it's fairly easy to put a couple camera angles together with separate audio. My duo just recorded some songs using a Zoom H6 for audio, my phone's camera and my son came over with his pro camera which helped a lot. Having his camera there was a luxury but using basic cameras, or just phones, can give decent results. However for music I wouldn't rely on a camera mic again.

If you're familiar with using a DAW then that's half the post production work IME. Once I had the audio finished it was easy to assemble everything. Using Davinci Resolve I imported the 2 video angle files and audio file. Sync'd everything to a multicam clip, muted the camera audio and made my scene cuts. You don't have to rely on manually syncing waveforms but even that isn't too bad.

Below is one of the songs we did last week. I haven't made any color corrections but for this project I don't know if I'll bother. Good luck on your project.

Just noticed the video doesn't show. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Slaughter View Post
Just noticed the video doesn't show. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

You put *only* the video code, and not the entire URL inside the YOUTUBE bbcode tags.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
You put *only* the video code, and not the entire URL inside the YOUTUBE bbcode tags.
Thanks for the help. I got the "shareable video link" for the video. Should I have just brought up the video and copied the url in the browser?
Old 01-11-2021, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Slaughter View Post
Thanks for the help. I got the "shareable video link" for the video. Should I have just brought up the video and copied the url in the browser?
You can just put the URL in the post, but in this forum, at least, neither the short or long URL will generate the embed code to show the mini-player. It has to just have the part after "youtu.be/" between the bbcode tags.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD