The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-02-2021, 04:35 PM

Default HT strings/Low Action][LT strings/High Action

Though there are some who do just the opposite, I've come to believe that, generally, HT strings are for low action and LT strings are for high action...
I can't swear it to be true, but it just seems, after so so many years with this quirky instrument, to make sense already, already.
Anyone else come to this same conclusion ? I'm up for rebuttals as to why there is no rhyme or reason to this idea..

Thanks, M

Last edited by MarkinLA; 01-02-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:48 AM

Very personal and very instrument-depending.

I’ll tell you this. You use turbo charger to increase car’s power W/o increasing engine displacement.

Or you increase the displacement and leave it w/o a charger.

But... you can go for a larger displacement and turbo at the same time.

As for guitars, some instruments really need this extra tension to produce the tone they were built for.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:14 PM

Yes ! I agree !
And, ironically, I know exactly what you mean with a turbo charger as my old '82 Benz 300TD, which still runs like show room, has a turbo you can really feel and hear when you step on it !..Boy does she dig in !!!!

But what do you think of my OP conclusion ?
I play a Cordoba C10, cedar, which purposely comes with HT Sav Crystal Corums for that 'torque', and do make it loud and deep with piercing treble and soft Mids.
T'was suggested I try D'Add J46HT as said to keep pitch longer and D str. lasts longer. They are on now and am finding this to be mostly true..
And since they're HT I am getting away with low action, in keeping with my OP claim.
Finally, I will make one more experiment and try a set of HT LaBellas I have my eye on ....

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical