The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 AM

Default Settings for Para DI?

Hey all,

Recently got my LR Baggs M1A installed in my Seagull S6 CW. Sounded pretty good at church Sunday, but I decided to get a used Para DI (couldn't resist at $50) and i'm trying to figure out if anybody has any default settings they use for it and the M1A.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caster View Post
Hey all,

Recently got my LR Baggs M1A installed in my Seagull S6 CW. Sounded pretty good at church Sunday, but I decided to get a used Para DI (couldn't resist at $50) and i'm trying to figure out if anybody has any default settings they use for it and the M1A.

Thanks!
hi 62c

Nope...no default settings. The purpose of a ParaDI is all the unique settings that can be made. The only default setting would be all volume and gains 'off' and all other settings 'flat'. From that point adjustments begin.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-20-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
hi 62c

Nope...no default settings. The purpose of a ParaDI is all the unique settings that can be made. The only default setting would be all volume and gains 'off' and all other settings 'flat'. From that point adjustments begin.

Yep, I always start with volume at noon and adjust gain (11-noon is probably a good starting point for the M1A, maybe lower if there's any distortion) and then adjust the EQ based on how it sounds in the room. There's usually something in the midrange that needs to be cut but that's a matter of taste as well. A good tip is to start with subtractive EQ: cutting things you don't like the sound of is usually a better approach than boosting what you think you need "more" of.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-20-2019, 09:50 PM

THIS IS THE WINNER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
hi 62c

Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caster View Post
Hey all,

Thanks!
$50 is a very good price for a PADI.

This has already been answered. But as far as default settings, it will all come down to how all the components sound together. I think with any EQ device the starting place will have everything flat, then "season" to taste.

I'm not an expert in EQ/DI but in recent weeks have started testing and working with these devices, including the PADI and realized that it not only comes down to how you like your sound, but where you might have to set your tone in the midst of others playing. Also, you may do a sound check with an empty room, then the whole EQ setup goes out the window when it fills up with 150 people.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-24-2019, 02:54 PM

Is the notch filter only used if needed to remove feedback?
Old 09-24-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Is the notch filter only used if needed to remove feedback?
I only used the the Para DI on one gig before trading it in for a Fishman Platinum Pro. When I had the PADI I had no experience with a preamp of that sophistication. Now weeks later I have *a little* more of a handle on things.

While it could be different on the Para DI (compared to the Fishman) I find the notch filter, when not used for feedback can be used to bias the overall sound a bit. I don't have a magic recipe or advice, but perhaps you might experiment and get a general setting and then just play with the notch filter a bit to see if it changes things for you. The Fishman can switch it off, but I find that the sound can be a bit muddier without it. So I fiddle with it until everything sounds right. And of course it varies from situation to situation.

I'm sure someone will (rightfully) jump in and chide me and teach me the right way to use it, but this is what my ears and instincts tell me to do with it until I'm fully educated in EQing my system.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-25-2019, 08:00 AM

Is the Platinum Pro user friendly? I also an intimidated by advanced EQs pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I only used the the Para DI on one gig before trading it in for a Fishman Platinum Pro. When I had the PADI I had no experience with a preamp of that sophistication. Now weeks later I have *a little* more of a handle on things.

While it could be different on the Para DI (compared to the Fishman) I find the notch filter, when not used for feedback can be used to bias the overall sound a bit. I don't have a magic recipe or advice, but perhaps you might experiment and get a general setting and then just play with the notch filter a bit to see if it changes things for you. The Fishman can switch it off, but I find that the sound can be a bit muddier without it. So I fiddle with it until everything sounds right. And of course it varies from situation to situation.

I'm sure someone will (rightfully) jump in and chide me and teach me the right way to use it, but this is what my ears and instincts tell me to do with it until I'm fully educated in EQing my system.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Is the Platinum Pro user friendly? I also an intimidated by advanced EQs pedals.
If you've used guitar amplifiers before, then the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ is easy and user friendly. It is friendlier than the Para DI that I also have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification