The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-13-2019, 10:28 AM

This post got me thinking I really want to try one of these. Just placed an X20 order with this veneer. Definitely a stretch from my current instruments.

Cincy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190326_153804.jpg (37.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

That should be pretty striking to look at. You have some really nice wood guitars so it will be interesting to hear your thoughts. Congrats on the X20, wonderful guitars!
Old 08-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
This post got me thinking I really want to try one of these. Just placed an X20 order with this veneer. Definitely a stretch from my current instruments.

Cincy
Nice! Good luck. The X20 is a great guitar. For me I have a lot of wood guitars to look at. Carbon fiber has a cool look as well. Like a fine sports car.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:06 PM

I opted to play our "spare" bubinga topped woody X7 at the ukulele jam last night. It was a tough PT day for my shoulder and I was more in a mood to play a small ergonomic guitar than even a uke). Many oooh's and ahhh's from the club and the audience.

That veneer should be lovely, and my X20 is my favorite guitar of all these days.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I opted to play our "spare" bubinga topped woody X7 at the ukulele jam last night. It was a tough PT day for my shoulder and I was more in a mood to play a small ergonomic guitar than even a uke). Many oooh's and ahhh's from the club and the audience.

That veneer should be lovely, and my X20 is my favorite guitar of all these days.
Taking an X7 to a ukulele jam? Is that a bit like taking a gun to a knife fight? Yeah, I'm kidding. It's a joke. Does highlight how ergonomic those previous generation X7s are, that you'd find it more comfortable than a uke.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:23 PM

I like my Blackbird Farallon ukulele a LOT and it is my normal choice. But yesterday I didn't want a hard edge digging into my heavily abused forearm. The X7 worked great and added a low end to the group's ISS (Incessant Strumming Syndrome). I could add some bass notes and color chords that helped enrichen the very basic strumming that our heavily beginner-skewed club plays. Besides, I lead the group and I can do whatever I please.

And I'm not at all averse to bringing a gun to a knife fight. Or a katana (samurai sword). I'm pretty accomplished with either.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Guest 928

Earl;

Maybe a Banjolele would fit the group and your grip?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:28 PM

I live in Arizona and will be getting my X7 next month. I'm sure I'm going to like the obvious features CF offers. I'll let you know if "it's for me" or not in a month or two!!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Have 2 carbon guitars but in the last several years have been playing only my hand built wood ones. I think way too much is said about the difficulties of keeping wood? Have a 1967 Gibson J-45 I bought new and it’s fine never been humidified. I’m in Ohio and in the Winter I do put a Humidifier I made from a sponge and soap container in my hand builts. Only need to tend to it a little bit.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 PM

The concept of carbon fiber is definitely for me - a guitar that doesn't react to temperature and humidity changes, airline-resistant, strong yet light.

I just haven't found one yet that has the high fidelity tone and response I have become used to.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
....I think way too much is said about the difficulties of keeping wood?.....
Maybe in Ohio. When I lived in Alaska, ultra dry winters required two dampened sponges in each guitar case that had to be re-wet weekly. That became a real chore as my collection grew to over a dozen instruments. Plus 8-10 gallons every day through the cabinet humidifier for the piano and our sinuses. CF really had its appeal, even if the tone wasn't quite the same as my 40-series Martin.

Humidity care is not nearly as hard here in Idaho where the house ranges from 37-50% RH most of the year. I add dampened sponges to cases of the wooden guitars during only the peak heating months (NOV-FEB) and that chore is easier because I don't own as many sensitive wood guitars any more.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
The concept of carbon fiber is definitely for me - a guitar that doesn't react to temperature and humidity changes, airline-resistant, strong yet light.

I just haven't found one yet that has the high fidelity tone and response I have become used to.
If you ever see a Composite Acoustics GX in a music store give it a try, I think you would be quite surprised. I don't personally own that model but I certainly am longing for one after playing it. I owned a Rainsong previously and currently own an Emerald X20. Both are nice guitars for different reasons but I feel more traditional players will feel right at home with the tone of a CA GX. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Wood acoustic care certainly is easier in Ohio...you have to do like NOTHING. LOL It's a bit different when your RH is hanging around 9%. I bought a guitar in Ohio a couple years ago, brought it back to Colorado and didn't humidify it enough or soon enough, the bridge separated not long there after.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Maybe it has at least a little to do with where a wood guitar resides? I too have thought maybe us CF enthusiasts overthink this a bit. CF is for me. I'm a FAN!! But, I've seen a lot of guitars survive here in Colorado with little or even no care- not joking. My father-in-law looks at me like I'm crazy how I baby my guitars- especially my Martin.

So, are wood guitars a product of their environment or maybe some of them are over built?? Dunno, but as much of a fan I've become to CF I still favor quality wood guitars for tone. CF can be really good tonally, but then there are wood guitars to be had that have downright delicious tone. Just my dos centavos.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

I agree with you Steelvibe....I love my CF guitars, but tone wise they aren't even close to my D12. I know I've said that before, so sorry for the repeat. I look at it as the CF have their own tone and it can be very enjoyable too. If they sounded like wood...what would be the point?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber