The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-01-2019, 09:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Emerald X10 questions to owners

I don't see much videos of this one out in the wild, so I'd like some inputs from X10 owners.

How does the X10 compare in terms of volume and projection to many popular guitar shapes like a dread, an OM and those little Ed Sheeran Baby Martins or GS Minis?

I'm realistic and I don't expect it to sound like a D18/D28, but what can I expect from the X10? Is it mainly a travel guitar or is it comparable to a smaller bodied guitar like the OM?

I see that Emerald has largely marketed the X10 as an electric/acoustic model, and I'd like to know if the guitar can stand its own ground as a pure acoustic.

All inputs are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 PM

I have an acoustic-only X10 with 24.6" scale. I also have a previous generation X7. I thought the extra body depth would give it more power over the new X7. The X10 is balanced and playable, but somehow underpowered as an acoustic only guitar. Piecing together various posts on the forum, the new X7 seems acoustically better. So maybe, as Emerald says, the X10 is for someone who wants a "terrific electric guitar".
Old 08-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

I have an X10 - I bought it because of the plugged in possibilities with the level 2 pickups. Acoustically, it has great tone and a nice balance; it has a bit less volume than I expected (it can still hold its own with my X20 or X7). Some have attributed the volume on the X10 a bit less because of the electronics installed and/or the individual saddles. Truly a non-issue for me.

When I was discussing the X10 or possibly the X7 with the Emerald folks, I was told, "If you want pure acoustic, go with the X7..." The X10 and the X7 are very close in size, but the X10 has a longer scale (25.5") and a 1 11/16 nut width, compared to the 24" scale and 1 3/4" nut width on the X7.

I don't consider the X10 to be a "travel guitar" - the size is close to a Grand Concert with a full scale. The X7 is a bit more compact due to the shorter scale, smaller head stock, and being a 12-fret. My X7 is the previous generation and it is smaller than the current X7 and X10; more of a parlor size that travels great, but sounds bigger than you'd expect.

If acoustic tone/volume is your main concern, I'd be looking at an X20.

These are my observations, others may feel differently. Good luck with the decisions.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
I have an acoustic-only X10 with 24.6" scale. I also have a previous generation X7. I thought the extra body depth would give it more power over the new X7. The X10 is balanced and playable, but somehow underpowered as an acoustic only guitar. Piecing together various posts on the forum, the new X7 seems acoustically better. So maybe, as Emerald says, the X10 is for someone who wants a "terrific electric guitar".
Thanks for your thoughts. I noticed the 120mm body depth too. Surprised that this doesn't give you the edge over the X7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have an X10 - I bought it because of the plugged in possibilities with the level 2 pickups. Acoustically, it has great tone and a nice balance; it has a bit less volume than I expected (it can still hold its own with my X20 or X7). Some have attributed the volume on the X10 a bit less because of the electronics installed and/or the individual saddles. Truly a non-issue for me.

When I was discussing the X10 or possibly the X7 with the Emerald folks, I was told, "If you want pure acoustic, go with the X7..." The X10 and the X7 are very close in size, but the X10 has a longer scale (25.5") and a 1 11/16 nut width, compared to the 24" scale and 1 3/4" nut width on the X7.

I don't consider the X10 to be a "travel guitar" - the size is close to a Grand Concert with a full scale. The X7 is a bit more compact due to the shorter scale, smaller head stock, and being a 12-fret. My X7 is the previous generation and it is smaller than the current X7 and X10; more of a parlor size that travels great, but sounds bigger than you'd expect.

If acoustic tone/volume is your main concern, I'd be looking at an X20.

These are my observations, others may feel differently. Good luck with the decisions.
Thanks Capt, very helpful response. Actually I should have stated, I'm looking at the X10 over X20 because of the smaller size. The idea of having a sub-1000mm guitar which I can use for busking as well as practice sounds good. At the same time, I really like the X10 for its full 25.5" scale and 1-11/16 nut. Something the X7 isn't.

These days, I'm finding the GA and dread shapes too tiring for practice use and too cumbersome to have for a "pick up and play kind of guitar".

But it's good to know that the X10 holds its own as an acoustic. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:21 AM

If we forget about volume, how is the quality of sound - tone, if you will - between X10 and X7?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 08-02-2019, 05:14 AM

I have a centre sound hole X10 from 2014 without electronics. To me it is the perfect size (OMish) with a 1.75" neck and full scale. Oh, and it sounds great!
Old 08-02-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaku View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I noticed the 120mm body depth too. Surprised that this doesn't give you the edge over the X7.

Thanks Capt, very helpful response. Actually I should have stated, I'm looking at the X10 over X20 because of the smaller size. The idea of having a sub-1000mm guitar which I can use for busking as well as practice sounds good. At the same time, I really like the X10 for its full 25.5" scale and 1-11/16 nut. Something the X7 isn't.

These days, I'm finding the GA and dread shapes too tiring for practice use and too cumbersome to have for a "pick up and play kind of guitar".

But it's good to know that the X10 holds its own as an acoustic. Thanks.
The X20 definitely feels bigger (to me) than the X10. I did order my X10 with a 24.6" scale, essentially making it a 13-fret; no doubt that adds to the "feel" difference. That said, the X20's curves and bevels make it more comfortable than other guitars of similar size.

I haven't had occasion to play out without plugging in, so the pure acoustic volume hasn't been an issue for me. But, if that was an important feature, I'd be all over the X20. Plugged in, any of the three. Carting it around: I prefer the modified triangle shape of the Emerald gig bag for the X7 and X10 over the guitar-shaped gig bag of the X20. Recording: if using a condenser mic, I generally pick the X20: if plugged in direct, the X7 (with the B-Band pickup); if coming out through an amp, the X10.

I think any of the 3 would be a good "only" guitar, understanding the strengths and size/scale/neck differences you prefer.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:20 AM

Might be worth just asking Emerald what they think of the X10's sound when there is no pickup installed. I know the "level 0" is an available option, and it seems not having a humbucker in the top would boost volume a bit. You could always add a "normal" acoustic pickup later if you wanted.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Might be worth just asking Emerald what they think of the X10's sound when there is no pickup installed. I know the "level 0" is an available option, and it seems not having a humbucker in the top would boost volume a bit. You could always add a "normal" acoustic pickup later if you wanted.
Like the Captain said, Emerald recommends the X7 over the X10 if you want an acoustic only guitar.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:42 AM

Not an X10 owner but I gotta wonder how much impact the ghost saddles have on the transfer on sound compared to a normal saddle (tusq or bone).
Old 08-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
The standard X10 includes individual saddles. I have short-scale, single-saddle, no electronics -- nice sound, but I'd prefer more volume.

The X7 has 20 frets and the X10 24, so there is less unreinforced soundboard space from the end of the fretboard to the saddle on the X10 than the X7 (my short-scale X10 has 23 frets). I suspect a 20 fret X10 would have more volume.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
I have a centre sound hole X10 from 2014 without electronics. To me it is the perfect size (OMish) with a 1.75" neck and full scale. Oh, and it sounds great!
Still liking my center hole X10 as well.

This is what someone new to guitars (at the time) and from Canada might actually look like whilst having at an older X 10.

And checking out a RainSong whilst one was handy

circa Dec. 2013 ( the good ole days whens we was just kids)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Love that top on that X10 Kramster, the black edging is a nice touch!
Old 08-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Love that top on that X10 Kramster, the black edging is a nice touch!
It is a nice guitar and Alistair even signed it for me..

My 2 round holes held by the man himself

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-02-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Still liking my center hole X10 as well.

This is what someone new to guitars (at the time) and from Canada might actually look like whilst having at an older X 10.

And checking out a RainSong whilst one was handy

circa Dec. 2013 ( the good ole days whens we was just kids)
Ah the memories. Those of you who have met Kramster understand when I say what a great ambassador of carbon fibre guitars and and even better guy!! It was trying out this very X10 that led to the purchase of mine....thank you Mark :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber