The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 PM

Default Tailpiece issue

I posted this on the repair portion of the forum but long story short, my tail piece snapped last night. No real damage to guitar, but my question here is what do you recommend for replacement? It's an Eastman 810 guitar, I've sent them an email, but thinking I'll probably need to go to a third party vendor. I'm hoping not to spend a bundle, just get something good but basic.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 PM

This is the first that I personally have heard/read about an Eastman tailpiece failure, but perhaps others have. I've heard/read many Ibanez archtop owners complaining about tailpiece failure, and I for one have had it happen on an Ibanez archtop myself.

Glad to hear no damage to your guitar.

A couple of comments. First, I personally would try to replace with an Eastman part, if for now other reason, fit. I wouldn't want to drill new holes to mount a non-Eastman part. Having said that, if you don't mind or if you can find a custom maker that will build around the Eastman spec, then I would consider that an option. Btw, you might contact Stephen Holst to see if he can custom build a tailpiece for you, that would mount using the same holes already in your guitar.

Second comment...you might check out Eastman Guitar Fans discussion forum. There may be someone there that has had a similar issue, and can share with you how they resolved the matter.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-21-2019, 09:37 AM

Quality tailpieces are hard to find. Cheap ones are their own set of new problems.
That said I would check with archtop.com and ask there what they recommend, they sold and repaired quite a few Eastmans. Not cheap but they will be quality.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:47 PM

Shout out to Eastman! They will send me a replacement! Quick service and all. Great stuff.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
Shout out to Eastman! They will send me a replacement! Quick service and all. Great stuff.
Thank God.

I was about to recommend a Bigsby.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
That is super!
Old 06-22-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Awesome!
Old 06-22-2019, 10:12 AM

There was a time when Eastman used some bad alloy, and many tailpieces failed. A common Eastman problem.

The tailpiece on my AR605 failed replacement arrived a couple days later from the dealer.

I don't know how the replacement is holding up. The guitar was stolen, recovered, and for 3 years so far sitting hostage in evidence.

My replacement AR610 is holding up nicely. Looks like they fixed the problem.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Yes, they mentioned that in the email to me that their earlier ones had issues. It's great they stand behind their products.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops