The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Default Did anybody here see Tony McManus play at Healdsburg ?

I know he did a showcase for Michael Greenfield, and he also played a concert on the Friday.

I just find it strange that I have seen no mention whatsoever on the forum of his performances, which I would imagine were stellar, if he is still playing to the same level as he was in the folk clubs of southern Scotland twenty years ago ...
Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 PM

Shoulda heard him playin' one of Somogyi's instruments in the lobby Friday evening!
Stellar...
Mikey
Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 PM

Yeah, I heard him play Grennfield's guitar.

He was my favorite of the day.

Jim McCarthy
Old 08-20-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I just find it strange that I have seen no mention whatsoever on the forum of his performances, which I would imagine were stellar, if he is still playing to the same level as he was in the folk clubs of southern Scotland twenty years ago ...
I was lucky enough to catch Tony at the tail end of this year's Australian tour - his first here in six years I believe. I can't imagine being more impressed by anyone, at any time, past or present. Needless to say, I'm waiting anxiously for him to return.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhammond View Post
Shoulda heard him playin' one of Somogyi's instruments in the lobby Friday evening!
Stellar...
Mikey
I caught that too - Stellar is an understatement!

Eric Skye and Lloyd George playing together in the courtyard just a bit before that was also pretty amazing.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Tony's a great guy and an amazing musician and scholar. His performance on Friday night was great, as usual. His schedule that weekend was killer, leaving Santa Rosa late that evening after the concert for the airport. I 'roadied' for him that night, and was reminded of his great energy, dispite the terrible schedule.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Eric Skye

I heard his Friday night set from backstage and it was pretty amazing. Playing Linda Manzer's 42 string guitar The case for that thing looked like a coffin in the green room:
Old 08-21-2011, 10:38 AM

I saw him both Friday afternoon and Friday night at the Last Day Saloon. He's in his usual top form.

At the LDS I actually wasn't "seeing" his show, just hearing it throught the PA in an adjoining room (it's a big club and the stage room was standing room only). Not being distracted by the visuals, I could verify that the guy literally didn't miss a note. To be perfectly clear: most people miss a few notes per night, it's perfectly normal, and I don't particularly care when they do.

Yet Tony played some break-neck jigs and reels and I can vouch that there wasn't as much as a stray fret noise—and all with heaps of musicality and feel to boot.

He's on top of the guitar food chain, and with good reason.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:59 PM

I don't know anyone who's a better guitarist than Tony McManus. Here's a treat for those of you who don't know him:

http://grooveshark.com/#/s/Ar+Bhruac...i/3NZWxl?src=5

(You may also enjoy discovering the Grooveshark music service.)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbetta View Post
Yet Tony played some break-neck jigs and reels and I can vouch that there wasn't as much as a stray fret noise—and all with heaps of musicality and feel to boot.

He's on top of the guitar food chain, and with good reason.
This is the most perfect description of Tony's playing! Bravo!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion