The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-21-2019, 11:17 AM

Default McPherson Sable or Emerald X20?

I have had pretty severe GAS for a CF guitar. I am considering one of these two guitars, but I don't really have a way of playing either of them.

I have played a few wooden McPhersons and the tone/feel was amazing. I would hope that their CF offerings are similar.

I've never seen an X20 in person, but I hear good things about them, and they seem to be a little less expensive.

Does anyone here have experience with both guitars?
Old 08-21-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I own an X20 and had the opportunity to spend a little time with the Sable. Both are fine guitars. What I noticed immediately with the Sable is it wasn't as comfortable as the X20; then, when played, I prefer the sound of the X20 (both volume and tone). No doubt the upturned soundhole on the X20 makes a difference, compared to the offset, but more forward facing, soundhole on the Sable. TO my ear, the Sable sounded warm, while the X20 is crisp; I would imagine that strings will make a difference (as they do with the X20)

The Sable felt heftier to me, and checking the specs, it weighs 5.4 pounds; my X20 weights about 4 1/2 pounds. Both guitars have a 25.5" scale, and both have a comfortable (for me) neck. They are close in body size, but the bevels on the X20 make it feel more "intimate." (again, personal opinion)

While my preference is the X20, I would think a player would be happy with either. I hope a Sable owner will give you some input here, as well. Kramster does own both.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:34 AM

Wow I do have both... tuff call on what you might like in the end. I agree with the Captain on this. X 20 is mo comfy and both sound great.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-22-2019, 07:17 AM

I played a couple McPhersons when I was in Nashville earlier this year. They were nice, but their low-end was a little pronounced, and maybe a little muddy. Perhaps some experimentation with strings could help with that. And as noted, it was noticeably heavier than an X20, although I wouldn't describe it as "heavy." I decided quickly that I preferred my X20, although I doubt you'd be disappointed in either.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:22 AM

I had an X20, kept my X30, and played my Sable for over a year as my only guitar.

I like my Sable. I've been taking it to guitar lessons lately. It's stately, it's silky, it's refined. For a smaller-bodied guitar it sounds lovely. It's sleek; it maintains the design appeal of traditional guitars but adds the McPherson styling. It just feels good in the hands.

I didn't like the sound of my X20 so I sold it. Brassy, tinny. I adore my X30 and you can find my review in my signature. Overall, for reasons stated in the video, I think the X30 is the bomb.

But I do really like my Sable too.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:20 AM

If the Sable is available from a (relatively local -- reasonable shipping cost) retailer where you can return it after 30 days, I would start there. Unless you live in Europe an Emerald is more of a commitment to keep just due to the time and cost of sending it back.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-25-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
If the Sable is available from a (relatively local -- reasonable shipping cost) retailer where you can return it after 30 days, I would start there. Unless you live in Europe an Emerald is more of a commitment to keep just due to the time and cost of sending it back.
Guitar center carries both and I got 25% off mine via a coupon they send around during slow summer months. They also have an excellent return policy to the stores. So you can order ship to store and return there if unhappy. (Great return policy) Normally I would work with my local trusted guitar store but these guitars come pre set up by McPherson and are the closest thing I have purchased that are acoustically plug and play with two saddles. If you have a guitar Center locally... might be worth a visit.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Guitar center carries both and I got 25% off mine via a coupon they send around during slow summer months. They also have an excellent return policy to the stores. So you can order ship to store and return there if unhappy. (Great return policy) Normally I would work with my local trusted guitar store but these guitars come pre set up by McPherson and are the closest thing I have purchased that are acoustically plug and play with two saddles. If you have a guitar Center locally... might be worth a visit.
Interesting. I just checked online after reading your post, and sure enough, the Guitar Center closest to me has a Sable in stock. This is not the honeycomb version with the gold Schaller tuners and frets though. To get that, Fret Central is the place to go and is just as close to me as Guitar Center. I bought my Touring guitars there and both are honeycomb with the gold frets and tuners.

Interesting that Guitar Center is now carrying both the Sable and the Touring now.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-26-2019, 06:01 AM

It seems the Touring and Sable are the least expensive McPhersons ...nice...I have my Touring with me in Vermont at this very moment ..and past several days of course.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-26-2019, 07:03 AM

If you can take a look at Blackbird guitars, I would encourage you.

I've owned a McPherson Touring, 2 Emerald x30s, an x20, and a Blackbird SuperOM and El Capitan.

No question for me: the blackbirds are the best of the bunch.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:27 AM

This thread had me thinking of getting a 12 string again. I reached out to McPherson and they have no plans for a 12 string Sable. Another + for the emerald x20.... or in my case looking at the x30. 12 strings can get very treblely .. if that is a word and prefer more bass to balance out all the strings found in jumbo guitars....
Old 08-27-2019, 07:43 AM

I don't have a sable or never played one. I do have a 2019 model X20 and to be honest I'm still struggling to get a tone out of it that I like. I only chimed in as I've read others reports on how their X20 sounds so I'll describe mine. For fingerpicking I have no issues with the guitar. For flatpicking and strumming mine has a lot of low end mud that I don't like. I've tried different picks and strings galore and I had to bump down to custom light gauge. Not saying it sounds bad just not my personal first choice in tone. Mine is the exact opposite of tinny. The general consensus is that carbon fiber is consistent as a material but it seems there's some tonal differences between X20's. If you listen to the YouTube clips on the X20 mine sounds nothing like those.

The X30 however is my cup of tea. For a bigger guitar it is super comfy. It has a warmer tone than the X20. The guitar has a lot of low end but it's not muddy. That thing produces piano like bass and the overall tone is crystal clear. I suspect my X20 will be replaced by another x30 in the future.

I would guess that you're looking for a smaller body guitar which is fine but I suggest that you give the x30 a look as well. It feels about the size of a dreadnought in your lap but much more comfortable.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I don't have a sable or never played one. I do have a 2019 model X20 and to be honest I'm still struggling to get a tone out of it that I like. I only chimed in as I've read others reports on how their X20 sounds so I'll describe mine. For fingerpicking I have no issues with the guitar. For flatpicking and strumming mine has a lot of low end mud that I don't like. I've tried different picks and strings galore and I had to bump down to custom light gauge. Not saying it sounds bad just not my personal first choice in tone. Mine is the exact opposite of tinny. The general consensus is that carbon fiber is consistent as a material but it seems there's some tonal differences between X20's. If you listen to the YouTube clips on the X20 mine sounds nothing like those.

The X30 however is my cup of tea. For a bigger guitar it is super comfy. It has a warmer tone than the X20. The guitar has a lot of low end but it's not muddy. That thing produces piano like bass and the overall tone is crystal clear. I suspect my X20 will be replaced by another x30 in the future.

I would guess that you're looking for a smaller body guitar which is fine but I suggest that you give the x30 a look as well. It feels about the size of a dreadnought in your lap but much more comfortable.
Man, that's interesting. I had an X20 as well and I didn't have any problem with low-end mud, but I had an upper register "zingy-ness" or "tinny-ness" that I was always trying to tame with various strings. The general consensus is that a smaller guitar like an X7 is gonna sound tinny and zingy and boxy relative to a larger guitar like an X20, but my experience was the exact opposite. I liked an older model X7 a lot (except for the lack of volume at the player's ear) and then when I got the newer X7 with the off-set soundhole I was in heaven. Balanced, nice bass, clear but restrained trebles, plenty of articulation from string to string. It's my perfect acoustic except for playing with a capo up the neck, where it starts to get really crowded...

All that said, I still thought the X20 was a great sounding guitar, but not totally my cup of tea - but it was still enough to convince me to go all-in with carbon fiber and sell off my wooden guitars.

I tend towards warmer sounding guitars and all of the talk of the X30 gets my interest up, but I have no need or desire for that big a guitar. I just had a failed experiment with a Yamaha dread that convinced me I'm done with dreads and it's hard to see going for a jumbo like the X30, even if it is extraordinarily comfortable for a big guitar. The sound-clips sound like it's right up my alley, but in fairness so did lot's of clips of the X20 and, while I liked that guitar, I like the X7 so much more that I didn't see any real point in keeping the X20.

-Ray
Old 08-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

In the words of the philosopher Stephen Stills: "Love the one you're with."

I think the X10 may be my favorite guitar... until I play the X20... or the X7.

I think my X20 is spectacular: great tone, good punch, very comfortable, great aesthetics... and it is as big a guitar that I would want. For the times when smaller is better: the X7. The X10 is versatile - I think a great acoustic guitar for an electric guitar player. Maybe a bit quiet for an acoustic jam, but kicks butt when plugged in.

Last month, while visiting a guitar shop, I picked up a Taylor 812ce (I am a fan of the Taylor necks and find the Grand Concert size is a good fit for me); a beautifully made guitar with lovely tone. Would I trade any of my CF guitars for it? No. But it made me think about the 814 and 522 I have at home, and how they are also each great guitars... but haven't been out of their cases other than to check on them.

My little guitar collection is meager compared to some (Kramster comes to mind), but I truly appreciate each one. Going back to the original post in this thread, what a great position to be in: choosing between a Sable and an X20! Two great guitar options. A win/win proposition. Easy enough for those of us looking in to make a suggestion... or even toss in some other options. A tough decision for the OP.

I hope JungWoo will keep us posted on any choice made.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Man, that's interesting. I had an X20 as well and I didn't have any problem with low-end mud, but I had an upper register "zingy-ness" or "tinny-ness" that I was always trying to tame with various strings. The general consensus is that a smaller guitar like an X7 is gonna sound tinny and zingy and boxy relative to a larger guitar like an X20, but my experience was the exact opposite. I liked an older model X7 a lot (except for the lack of volume at the player's ear) and then when I got the newer X7 with the off-set soundhole I was in heaven. Balanced, nice bass, clear but restrained trebles, plenty of articulation from string to string. It's my perfect acoustic except for playing with a capo up the neck, where it starts to get really crowded...

All that said, I still thought the X20 was a great sounding guitar, but not totally my cup of tea - but it was still enough to convince me to go all-in with carbon fiber and sell off my wooden guitars.

I tend towards warmer sounding guitars and all of the talk of the X30 gets my interest up, but I have no need or desire for that big a guitar. I just had a failed experiment with a Yamaha dread that convinced me I'm done with dreads and it's hard to see going for a jumbo like the X30, even if it is extraordinarily comfortable for a big guitar. The sound-clips sound like it's right up my alley, but in fairness so did lot's of clips of the X20 and, while I liked that guitar, I like the X7 so much more that I didn't see any real point in keeping the X20.

-Ray
There was another thread awhile ago where we found out Emerald changed the soundboard construction of the X20, that might help explain the difference tonally with mine. Not saying that I don't like it just that it's not my first choice. I still like the guitar but I preferred the X30 by a landslide.

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 08-28-2019 at 11:07 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber