The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2019, 09:17 AM

I know you said linear but since the battery powered Bose is in the mix...

Keep more of your cash by buying a small lightweight 8" or even 10" powered speaker and get a reasonable two XLR (or 4) input FX mixer. Everyone will mostly recommend what they bought but I suggest you pick the speaker and mixer you like with the features you want. Net result is more flexible, more and better sound. Less cost. And an extra 5 minutes to set up, and that is conservative.

hunter
Old 08-18-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Fishman sa330x for $900 new. It has EQ, reverb, some feedback protection, and there is nothing.... I mean nothing... that sets up quicker. I have owned the Bose L1 Compact. You need the mixer to have any reverb or effects..

For just a singer and guitarist... nothing is as good for as cheap as the Fish Stick.

And down the road, if you become a duo or trio, you get the Fishman Expander and even the sub woofer as an add on.
I have one too but one thing I’d note is that it cannot do outdoor gigs unless we’re talking a small patio.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The Bose and a Tone match is a very popular system. About $1500 If I were looking in the up to $2k price range at $1999 I would also consider the Baggs Synapps

https://www.lrbaggs.com/speaker/syna...onal-pa-system
The LR Baggs Synapse Personal PA can be had for $1799, just for asking for the best price, from the biggest music/audio site on the web. The Synapse can also be had from John at Shoreline Music for the same price by inserting the AGF code at checkout.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-18-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3299 View Post
I am in the market for a linear PA (e.g., Bose L1 compact or other). Just need for solo guitar/voice setup. I don't need extra channels for now. I would, however, like some effects for the guitar/voice - not much, just some options. So, I wanted to know what you guys/gals are using and what you like the best. For example "get the Bose L1 Compact and add the T4s tone match" or whatever.......
Appreciate the help. I would like to stay under 2k.
I have a Bose L1 MII with the T4 mixer, a JBL Eon One and an HK Nano 608i. These are all great systems with different advantages and I think any of them could work well for you, but would suggest most highly probably the Eon One.

The JBL Eon One are pretty affordable new even and have been around long enough that it shouldn't be difficult getting a used one either. It would give you two channels to work with, reverb on both and an input for break music too. The most notable problem with this system is the low gain on the mic input which I took care of by simply buying a TC Mic Mechanic and mounting it to the side of the base unit. By doing so I also got some better sounding reverb.

When I bought the Eon One I'd been gigging with a QSC K12 and got very good compliments on the sound difference at both of the outdoor venues I'd been playing at the time. No comments on the difference from either one of my indoor venues other than it sounded good, just like before.

I've only just recently bought the HK Nano 608i and have only played through it a little at home but believe it will be unseating the Eon One for me once I get it up and running. It comes with a built in 6 channel mixer (they call it 8 because of the two stereo channels) which is fully featured if you buy an iPad to run it with, which is what I'm working on right now. This could be a great unit for you as well.

The Bose L1 MkII is the unit I've used the most but simply don't carry it anymore due to the number of trips it takes to get everything into the club as opposed to one single trip with the Eon One. It's also off your list if for no other reason, price.

Quote:
Will a Mackie or Behringer mixer work well with the Bose L!?
Any mixer with work with the Bose L1 and before I bought my MkII's I had a pair of the original Bose L1 that I used with an external mixer. The T1 is great for pairing to the MKII as all connections, including power, are accomplished with a single LAN cable run to the base unit.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 PM

The Bose S1 Pro has an offset tweeter array, for wider dispersion and throw. Bass is virtually non-directional. Mounted on a pole, it will cover a surprisingly large crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
I know you said linear but since the battery powered Bose is in the mix...

Keep more of your cash by buying a small lightweight 8" or even 10" powered speaker and get a reasonable two XLR (or 4) input FX mixer. Everyone will mostly recommend what they bought but I suggest you pick the speaker and mixer you like with the features you want. Net result is more flexible, more and better sound. Less cost. And an extra 5 minutes to set up, and that is conservative.

hunter
Old 09-26-2019, 03:15 PM

Default Acoustic preamp and vocal harmonizer advice

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the great advice on the PA systems. I just bought the Maui 5 because it fits my small venue needs very well. It sounds great. I run it through my Boss VE2 (vocal harmonist) and AD-10 (acoustic preamp). I am actually looking for further simplification - I would like to combine a vocalist with an acoustic pre-amp in one unit or two simpler units. I was looking at the Boss VE 8 that does both vocal and guitar, but wanted your opinion on that unit or some other advice for what I should use instead for voice and acoustic guitar.
Thank you!
Old 09-26-2019, 03:41 PM

The TCH Play Acoustic is kind of the gold standard for an all in one
guitar/vocals mutli effects unit. The Boss VE-8 is similar but folks say
the harmony engine is better in the TCH unit.

Quote:
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the great advice on the PA systems. I just bought the Maui 5 because it fits my small venue needs very well. It sounds great. I run it through my Boss VE2 (vocal harmonist) and AD-10 (acoustic preamp). I am actually looking for further simplification - I would like to combine a vocalist with an acoustic pre-amp in one unit or two simpler units. I was looking at the Boss VE 8 that does both vocal and guitar, but wanted your opinion on that unit or some other advice for what I should use instead for voice and acoustic guitar.
Thank you!
Old 09-26-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The Bose and a Tone match is a very popular system. About $1500 If I were looking in the up to $2k price range at $1999 I would also consider the Baggs Synapps

https://www.lrbaggs.com/speaker/syna...onal-pa-system
I agree that if money and weight are not a concern, the L.R.Baggs Synapse is the best choice.

However, 38 pounds is not something you should look if portable is important. Also, if the budget is not that luxury, I think Bose S1 Pro is your best bet. Many users share their success with bose S1 Pro around this forum too.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 09-27-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
The TCH Play Acoustic is kind of the gold standard for an all in one
guitar/vocals mutli effects unit. The Boss VE-8 is similar but folks say
the harmony engine is better in the TCH unit.
Thank you!!
Old 09-28-2019, 01:50 AM

I’ve owned and tried them all. The best out there is the EV Evolve 50. Beats the big Bose systems with the double bass bins easily. Awesome sound, powerful — but you will need a mixer.
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 09-28-2019, 06:07 AM

I’m with the Bose S1 crowd. I use one with the old T4 mixer and it sounds great. I even use the S1 by itself as a Bluetooth PA when my company sponsors golf events.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
I’m with the Bose S1 crowd. I use one with the old T4 mixer and it sounds great. I even use the S1 by itself as a Bluetooth PA when my company sponsors golf events.
Hi Hiddenmickey,

Why do you need the T4 mixer? Most people seem to use the Bose S1 pro with either a preamp, a mixer or a TC Play Acoustic style pedal... I wonder if it does not annihilate the benefit of the Bose.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-28-2019, 08:08 AM

There are a few of us here in the forum who have the HK Nano 608i and love them and the more I get used to using mine on a weekly basis I find it hard to believe that there isn't more mention of them.

An actual onboard 6 individual channel mixer with XLR inputs on the first 4 channels and fully parametric EQ across the board when used with an iPad, this is easily head and shoulders above most anything made for an acoustic player, anywhere from a soloist like myself and on up to a 3 or 4 piece group, all with no need for an outboard mixer. Easily configurable into a stereo system just with the addition of a small speaker stand and a Neutrik speaker cable.

Just about anyone claiming to have tried everything and not using one of these doesn't even know about them. Do your own homework and a lot more players are going to be using them within the next few years.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-28-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The LR Baggs Synapse Personal PA can be had for $1799, just for asking for the best price, from the biggest music/audio site on the web. The Synapse can also be had from John at Shoreline Music for the same price by inserting the AGF code at checkout.
Hey thanks that is good to know. If I were still gigging like I used to, I would be giving the Synapse very serious consideration

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-28-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Hiddenmickey,

Why do you need the T4 mixer? Most people seem to use the Bose S1 pro with either a preamp, a mixer or a TC Play Acoustic style pedal... I wonder if it does not annihilate the benefit of the Bose.
I scored one of the first generation T4’s for half price when they brought out the new one. It was the least expensive small digital mixer with hard buttons available when I bought it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification