The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I've coveted it since it was released and have no sane reason to own one...but still!
There was never a truer statement in all the posts on the AGF
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Really great thread.

I looked at that unit before I recently bought a Bose L1-Compact AND a Bose S1-Pro along with a Yamaha MG10xu.

This is indeed a great time to be an acoustic musician.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Right now, I'm running my Taylor 356ce ES2 12-String through an LR Baggs Session DI and into my new LR Baggs Synpase. I'm getting a nice lush amplified tone with the Session DI's Saturate knob at 10 o'clock and the Comp EQ knob at 11 o'clock with no audible distortion from the Session pedal. I've a new respect for what the Session DI can do as it adds a nice dimension to the amplified tone while still being unobtrusive. The Session is being powered by the Synapse's onboard phantom power and all ES2 EQ and Synapse EQ is set flat (detent positions). I like the tone of the Synapse as it's transparent and doesn't get in the way of my playing. Mind you, I'm playing in my family room and not out live but I'm sure the LR Baggs Synpase Personal PA System would do well in any playing situation.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-19-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I'm playing my 2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa ES2 through the LR Baggs Synapse for the first time and it sounds great! Given how this guitar sounds through both my Synapse and Line 6 L2t, I'll emphatically state that the Taylor GS Mini-e models are professional-level performance instruments when played through a PA system. This is supposed to be an ongoing review of the LR Baggs Synapse but the PA is so transparent and pleasant sounding that this thread has become more a review of guitars and their onboard pickup/preamp systems and that is the best review I can think of for the LR Baggs Synapse.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
This is supposed to be an ongoing review of the LR Baggs Synapse but the PA is so transparent and pleasant sounding that this thread has become more a review of guitars and their onboard pickup/preamp systems and that is the best review I can think of for the LR Baggs Synapse.

Agree, I have to admit I was all set to get a Line 6 LT2 but am now much more interested in the Baggs

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

Agree, I have to admit I was all set to get a Line 6 LT2 but am now much more interested in the Baggs
The Line 6 L2t is also an excellent PA speaker so don't discount it based on what I've written in this thread. I was considering getting a second Line 6 L2t but took a chance on the LR Baggs Synpase. You can get two Line 6 L2t speakers for the cost of one LR Baggs Synapse and have more versatility as to speaker placement and coverage for odd-shaped venues.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-19-2019, 08:17 AM

Would you rate the Synapse higher than RCF Evox for sound and power?

I'm looking at high end portable solutions to upgrade from a Bose S1 Pro that I find sterile and harsh at times. Tried the JBL Eon One Pro, liked the solid sound but found some issues with it so returned it. I thought that RCF would be the next step up.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin'Robin View Post
Would you rate the Synapse higher than RCF Evox for sound and power?

I'm looking at high end portable solutions to upgrade from a Bose S1 Pro that I find sterile and harsh at times. Tried the JBL Eon One Pro, liked the solid sound but found some issues with it so returned it. I thought that RCF would be the next step up.
I haven't any experience with RCF products. I've had the Bose L1 Compact, and a Bose L1 Model II with T1 ToneMatch and two B1 Bass Modules. I like the LR Baggs Synapse as it sounds excellent, has good dispersion, and is quite compact. The Bose L1 Model II system as above had great Bass response and also had a great tone. Let me suggest you check out the Bose F1 Model 812 at its now lower price of $899. Add a mixer for more inputs/EQ and Effects and you're set to blow the roof off a joint if you want! Later, if you add a Bass player, you can add the companion F1 Subwoofer.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-19-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

I own both the Evox 8 and the Synapse. I have tried to decide which one I like better and it's a tough decision. If I am doing a solo gig with just a guitar and a vocal mic the Synapse is hard to beat because you don't need an extra mixer.
For a inside gig ( wine bar, coffee house etc) even if I have to have a separate mixer the Synapse gets the nod. If the gig is outside I think the extra power that the evox8 has comes in handy.

As far as the price, if you email Sweetwater and ask for a better price on the Synapse you will likely get it. They gave me a great deal and I have no special status as a customer.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I haven't any experience with RCF products. I've had the Bose L1 Compact, and a Bose L1 Model II with T1 ToneMatch and two B1 Bass Modules. I like the LR Baggs Synapse as it sounds excellent, has good dispersion, and is quite compact. The Bose L1 Model II system as above had great Bass response and also had a great tone. Let me suggest you check out the Bose F1 Model 812 at its now lower price of $899. Add a mixer for more inputs/EQ and Effects and you're set to blow the roof off a joint if you want! Later, if you add a Bass player, you can add the companion F1 Subwoofer.
I've done two seasons of winter gigs (two days a week), with the Bose F1 system (two tops, two bottoms), and they are the best of the Bose systems soundwise. It's mostly low to medium volume fingerpick stuff and vocals, with no bass instruments! BUT, both top cabinets have frequency related rattles that have developed. Which is a bummer! Hopefully the resort I play at will have those cabs checked out before the next season!!!

BTW we feed the cabs with an Allen and Heath ZED 14 FX mixer, or sometimes I use my Bose T1 mixer. It kind of bugs me though that the F1s don't have the special input for the T1, and I have to bring my power supply!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:48 PM

The Synapse looks cool, but I need more than two channels. Plus, I'm over the moon happy with my Roy.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I own both the Evox 8 and the Synapse. I have tried to decide which one I like better and it's a tough decision. If I am doing a solo gig with just a guitar and a vocal mic the Synapse is hard to beat because you don't need an extra mixer.
For a inside gig ( wine bar, coffee house etc) even if I have to have a separate mixer the Synapse gets the nod. If the gig is outside I think the extra power that the evox8 has comes in handy.

As far as the price, if you email Sweetwater and ask for a better price on the Synapse you will likely get it. They gave me a great deal and I have no special status as a customer.

I think the Synapse has the edge on features (phantom power yeah !), but look is subjective. I can easily see how it would loose its charm when up on a pole with 3 to 5 cables running up there.

To me the column design looks sleek.

I might just wait for the new Yamaha Stagepas 1K to hit the streets
Old 08-21-2019, 01:26 PM

Brilliant info and very eloquently voiced first impressions, thankyou SpruceTop!

I was very tempted by the Synapse but was put off by the weight, hence my trip into AERville. It looks like a superb bit of kit, though.

As Murph (nice to see you here, Ben!) said, it's a great time to be an acoustic musician. Tech has come on gigantically since I started gigging 21yrs ago, when pickup wise, unless you had the cashish for a Sunrise or Lane Poor Studio Master (anyone remember those? I'd love to own one now!), you were stuck on Piezo Plaza with a plugged in tone that sounded like a cat having its face removed with a cheesegrater.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Default UPDATE!

After not using my LR Baggs Synapse for a while, and playing around with my pair of JBL EON One Compact speakers during that time, this afternoon I've been listening to Blake & Rice's first CD through the LR Baggs Synapse. Whether I've played this CD through one or both of the JBL EON One Compacts, in mono or stereo, the LR Baggs Synapse sounds so much better with its effortless, clean and clear sound--No Ear Fatigue! Although I really like them, the JBL EON One Compacts can sound a bit harsh when pushed just a bit, and tend to sound locational. The LR Baggs Synapse can get really loud with Bose L1 Model II-like dispersion, and with No Ear Fatigue like some other speakers I've had! I think the only question is: Are you crazy enough like I am to pay $1799 for an excellent-sounding, one-speaker PA system?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-23-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

2016 Taylor 322ce ES2 through the LR Baggs Synapse sounds unbelievably smooth and natural! This is with all EQ everywhere set Flat. This is within my family room but this rig should sound great wherever it's used. Once I get carpal-tunnel surgery on my fretting hand, I'll try to post my feelings on real-world applications of the LR Baggs Synapse.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification