The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Takamine...

Well...I bit the bullet...I now own two Takamines...and one older one is on the way. I've gigged with the first one twice...and I really like it. Like the cool tube. I'm just tired of carrying pre amps and amps and tuners...blahblahblah....many of the gigs I have are 3 songs...no sound check....My question is: Anyone on the forum had experience with the cool tube. I have the version 1, version 2, and I just purchased a version 3. Will be here in a few days....what are your thoughts? I do not like the jump in volume on the oldest version when you add in the cool tube. Any thoughts are appreciated...thanks in advance..
Old 12-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

* The MIJ Taks have been my plug n play go to guitars for years as a full-time working musician...they just work great and can take a beating, well-made and I like the tone unplugged and amplified. Enjoy your new Tak, congrats!

** I've used/owned all of the 3 preamps and 2 versions of the Cooltube; 2 & 3. Of version 2 and 3 I prefer version 2 for headroom and less dials, tho the tone shaping on 3 is nice for the mids. Version 1 was noisier, however the added headroom & volume of the tube make it the preferable version for some folks....I like the tone of version 2 the most at about 50%.

*** The CT4DX is the loudest, cleanest with least quack (tho none of them have bad quack) and most headroom, but too many dials and two 9v batteries, yikes! ...I ended up putting the CT4BII back in all mine and keep a CTP-2 for backup or for certain applications like recording or adding a mag for dual source. The CT4BII is most stage friendly, longest battery life and the tone is phat and warm.

**** All sound good and surpass most plug n play onboard systems I've tried including the F1Aura in my 000-18 retro which is close second. Everything else is far behind the Palathetic system imo, like the ES2 or VTE imo for what I do.

Last edited by noledog; 12-19-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Well...I bit the bullet...I now own two Takamines...and one older one is on the way. I've gigged with the first one twice...and I really like it. Like the cool tube. I'm just tired of carrying pre amps and amps and tuners...blahblahblah....many of the gigs I have are 3 songs...no sound check....My question is: Anyone on the forum had experience with the cool tube. I have the version 1, version 2, and I just purchased a version 3. Will be here in a few days....what are your thoughts? I do not like the jump in volume on the oldest version when you add in the cool tube. Any thoughts are appreciated...thanks in advance..
I have 4 Takamines, an LTD with the CT4BII (gigging guitar), one which is a MIJ 1985 all mahogany with a pickup from that era (bedroom guitar), A MIJ "Lawsuit" 1974 with a K&K (gigging guitar), and a GS330S made in Korea with a Fishman Matrix Infinity which is my beater guitar and house guitar for an open mic I host. I have no complaints with any of the Takamines I own.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-21-2018, 03:09 AM

I've owned many Taks over the years - they are, indeed, wonderful gigging guitars. The "Nashville" series (with the prefix TNV) are superb instruments.

The general consensus amongst Tak afficionados is that the CTP-2 preamp is the best of the lot.

I also used to use the Tak Tri-Ax pickup in conjunction with the CTP-2 (there's an internal connection to the pre-amp and a blender on the control panel) - it's a rebadged LR Baggs M80 and adds a bit more depth to the mix.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI

Last edited by AndyC; 12-21-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well...I bit the bullet...I now own two Takamines...and one older one is on the way. I've gigged with the first one twice...and I really like it. Like the cool tube. I'm just tired of carrying preamps and amps and tuners...blahblahblah....many of the gigs I have are 3 songs...no sound check....My question is: Anyone on the forum had experience with the cool tube. I have the version 1, version 2, and I just purchased a version 3. Will be here in a few days....what are your thoughts? I do not like the jump in volume on the oldest version when you add in the cool tube. Any thoughts are appreciated...thanks in advance..
I've owned one Takamine with the CoolTube CTP-2 Preamp, a Takamine TF430SS Singer Songwriter. It's amplified tone was decent with the CoolTube dialed-in where I wanted it but I could still hear the characteristic piezo quackiness when playing more aggressively. Having owned a Takamine EF340SBG with a TLD-1 LineDriver preamp, and having a ToneDexter that I've used with various built-in guitar pickup/preamp systems, it's my extrapolated opinion that a more natural amplified tone would be achieved by buying a Takamine with the new TLD-2 LineDriver and running its output through a ToneDexter. You should be able to achieve the same result by turning the CoolTube effect out of your signal path and running your guitar's output through a ToneDexter.

Takeaway For You: Use and enjoy your CoolTube (various versions) and make it work for you. It's a good system and always adjust your signal-path gain structure with the CoolTube dialed-in to your tonal liking. Do not have your gain structure set up properly and then dial-in the CoolTube as it will likely introduce distortion in your amplified tone because of its added gain.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-21-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I've owned one Takamine with the CoolTube CTP-2 Preamp, a Takamine TF430SS Singer Songwriter. It's amplified tone was decent with the CoolTube dialed-in where I wanted it but I could still hear the characteristic piezo quackiness when playing more aggressively. Having owned a Takamine EF340SBG with a TLD-1 LineDriver preamp, and having a ToneDexter that I've used with various built-in guitar pickup/preamp systems, it's my extrapolated opinion that a more natural amplified tone would be achieved by buying a Takamine with the new TLD-2 LineDriver and running its output through a ToneDexter. You should be able to achieve the same result by turning the CoolTube effect out of your signal path and running your guitar's output through a ToneDexter.

Takeaway For You: Use and enjoy your CoolTube (various versions) and make it work for you. It's a good system and always adjust your signal-path gain structure with the CoolTube dialed-in to your tonal liking. Do not have your gain structure set up properly and then dial-in the CoolTube as it will likely introduce distortion in your amplified tone because of its added gain.
By chance do you still own that SS model? And would you sell? I played one when they came out...just love that little guitar!!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
By chance do you still own that SS model? And would you sell? I played one when they came out...just love that little guitar!!
Sorry, $ongWriter, I traded it in a few years ago on another guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

I have no Tak's with cool tube. In fact I have only one and it has no pickup ...

But I'm chiming in here to just echo the general sentiment.

I have a 'lowly' G330G and it has been a consistently pleasant surprise to me for over 20 years. Made in Korea, round label.

Picked it up and played it and it sounded waaaay better than the price tag.

It is the one guitar I can unequivicably say will be with me to the end.

~ Paul

Old 08-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Having owned a Takamine EF340SBG with a TLD-1 LineDriver preamp, and having a ToneDexter that I've used with various built-in guitar pickup/preamp systems, it's my extrapolated opinion that a more natural amplified tone would be achieved by buying a Takamine with the new TLD-2 LineDriver and running its output through a ToneDexter.
I have a new Takamine EF740FS TT with the TLD-2 line driver pickup. It sounded great all by itself but once I trained my Tonedexter, the difference is night and day. Fantastic through the Tonedexter. I'm still toying with different mics... an Audix SCX25 gave great results but so did an inexpensive omni lavalier mic, the Movo LV-6, as well as a Heil PR40 dynamic.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:07 PM

The CTP-2 has the most useful feature set (specifically the indicator LEDs), lowest noise floor and longest battery life of the 3 versions. It's also has the smoothest control operation.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellomangler View Post
I have a new Takamine EF740FS TT with the TLD-2 line driver pickup. It sounded great all by itself but once I trained my Tonedexter, the difference is night and day. Fantastic through the Tonedexter. I'm still toying with different mics... an Audix SCX25 gave great results but so did an inexpensive omni lavalier mic, the Movo LV-6, as well as a Heil PR40 dynamic.
Wow! You're the only other AGFer, other than myself, who owns a Heil PR40! Congratulations, as it's a wonderful dynamic mic that almost acts like a good condenser without the condenser problems.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I want to try one of these P5NC Taks out in the worst way, but nobody here in DFW stocks them. These have the CTP-3 Cooltube system.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-p5nc-natural

These sure sound like a great guitar from the description and reviews I've read. I know the pre-amp used batteries pretty bad, but would hope the positives outweigh maybe one negative.

Thoughts?
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 09-02-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
The CTP-2 has the most useful feature set (specifically the indicator LEDs), lowest noise floor and longest battery life of the 3 versions. It's also has the smoothest control operation.
* This has been my experience as well with the Cooltube series... I use both the CT4BII and a Cooltube CTP-2. I have also used the CT4DX which has the most headroom and EQ shaping but too much for quick stage adjustments on the fly.

Hey Jim,

** I had a P5NC a few years back with the CT4DX before they switched to the CTP-3 which imo is a downgrade, but at least you can buy a CTP-2, CT4BII or CT4DX to swap out... I did not care much for the P5NC even tho I love the NEX body. I'm just not a spruce/EIR guy, I prefer the P3NC's satin cedar over sapeale and pinless bridge. It is my main performing guitar these days. However, the P5NC is a pretty guitar and well built. If you want a P5NC, you'll get the best deal from AGF Sponsor Jerry Pacific Guitar Sales. I've purchased Taks from Sweetwater with a good experience, but when Jerry came on board, his price, selection and service is top shelf with a great return policy! He can also get you one with whichever preamp swapped out if you want, his connection with ESP Tak is excellent... you'll get a better deal for sure!! Even tho I don't have it anymore, (I played another one last week at Sam Ash too) here's an accurate demo of how the P5NC sounds unplugged: https://youtu.be/WswuuqTA8uA

eric

Last edited by noledog; 09-02-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Looking at the list of guitars in your signature, -- impressive -- yes,
you definitely NEED more guitars! !LOL!

The MIJ Taks are top shelf. I've never had the cool tube pickup, but if I was looking for another nylon, it would be a TAK with that system.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* This has been my experience as well with the Cooltube series... I use both the CT4BII and a Cooltube CTP-2. I have also used the CT4DX which has the most headroom and EQ shaping but too much for quick stage adjustments on the fly.

Hey Jim,

** I had a P5NC a few years back with the CT4DX before they switched to the CTP-3 which imo is a downgrade, but at least you can buy a CTP-2, CT4BII or CT4DX to swap out... I did not care much for the P5NC even tho I love the NEX body. I'm just not a spruce/EIR guy, I prefer the P3NC's satin cedar over sapeale and pinless bridge. It is my main performing guitar these days. However, the P5NC is a pretty guitar and well built. If you want a P5NC, you'll get the best deal from AGF Sponsor Jerry Pacific Guitar Sales. I've purchased Taks from Sweetwater with a good experience, but when Jerry came on board, his price, selection and service is top shelf with a great return policy! He can also get you one with whichever preamp swapped out if you want, his connection with ESP Tak is excellent... you'll get a better deal for sure!! Even tho I don't have it anymore, (I played another one last week at Sam Ash too) here's an accurate demo of how the P5NC sounds unplugged: https://youtu.be/WswuuqTA8uA

eric
Hey Eric, thanks for your thoughts on this. So, if you were going to pick one pre-amp, which one would it be and why?

Also, regarding the cedar/sapele vs. spruce/rosewood, what are the tonal differences that you like and don't like from one to the other?

Thanks and I'll probably reach out to Jerry to discuss.
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification