The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Since you mention 'room sound' when the mics are too far, this could definitely be a factor. You should definitely consider doing some acoustic treatment in the room.
Basic 'full frequency traps' (often called bass traps) - you can buy or build 2'x4'x4" thick traps with rockwool (OC703, 705 or Roxul) that can be hung on the walls, stacked in corners, and used as movable gobos - put two in a 'V' in front of you, with the mic in the middle of the V, so that sound generated from the guitar doesn't go bouncing around the room as much.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Thanks everyone. My EQing and protools skills are super basic/nonexistent at this point, so sorry for the dumb questions. I can definitely kill the low frequencies with the stock eq plugin, but how do I identify and isolate a specific frequency? Seems like there are only a few set frequencies to be adjusted in the 7 band plugin. Also, when I have just cut the low frequencies to make the problematic parts of the song sound better, the other parts (with open bass notes for instance) sound too thin. There must be a way to apply different eq settings to different parts of the same track, right?
Ok the other Video is great here is just a brief off the cuff Video I just did specifically with the PT EQ III I have a 3 guitar session and it is show how I tend to set up my sessions . If you have any questions about it just ask

Just went back and checked the reason my typing on the HPF decibels per octave did not work, which is you have to type the entire
18 dB/oct " and hit return (I usually just click and drage the knob)

Also I forgot to mention that when you have narrow boosted and sweep to here a problem frequency you can also put the cursor on the colored dot hold down the clic and press shift and control and you then hear the specific frequency in isolation as an additional check

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-24-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Cool, yeah, I’ve got some reading/watching to dontonget up to speed with protools I guess.

One more thing I’m wondering- due to neighbor issues (I’m in an apartment) I’ve got my setup in my smallish bedroom. Would it be worth relocating my stuff to a larger room for recording purposes - as far as taming boom/reflections/resonance? It’s not ideal logistically, but might be possible.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Cool, yeah, I’ve got some reading/watching to dontonget up to speed with protools I guess.

One more thing I’m wondering- due to neighbor issues (I’m in an apartment) I’ve got my setup in my smallish bedroom. Would it be worth relocating my stuff to a larger room for recording purposes - as far as taming boom/reflections/resonance? It’s not ideal logistically, but might be possible.
Or the other thing at least for the corners (if possible) is some 2 ft. 4 ft by 4 inch deep , absorbers either DIY or GIK Acoustics makes pre made ones

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD