The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Default Does anyone own one of these?

https://www.solomusicgear.com/produc...346da9c33a800b

If so, how do you find it?

Just bought me a new guitar, and I'm looking to upgrade my current crappy uncomfortable practice chair as well.

Last edited by Dbone; 07-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 AM

Link isn't working.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Oops, let's try that one again...
Sorry, that link may not be valid...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Bizarre...I just tested that link in my browser and it works?!?!?

Oh, yer right...tried it in a different browser and it was toast...my other browser was in the right state to view it...sorry about that...

Here's a different link to the same product -->

https://www.solomusicgear.com/produc...346da9c33a800b
Old 07-20-2019, 09:10 AM

That works - no. I find no reason to have a back on a performance stool (you play like you practice so no there as well). Additionally, that's completely overpriced to me. When I have to remove it from the studio (like today) to play a private party, and I decide to sit for any period of time, I use something like this - if it's a good height for you. I wouldn't buy a stool or throne of any type without sitting on it first.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
That works - no. I find no reason to have a back on a performance stool (you play like you practice so no there as well). Additionally, that's completely overpriced to me. When I have to remove it from the studio (like today) to play a private party, and I decide to sit for any period of time, I use something like this - if it's a good height for you. I wouldn't buy a stool or throne of any type without sitting on it first.

It is a little overpriced for sure...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 07-20-2019, 10:13 AM

I have bought 4 different stools for playing, I get squirmy on them. Chair works best for me.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:15 AM

$200 for a barstool is outrageous.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 07-20-2019, 03:31 PM

Dbone, if I'm going to sit while I play, I find it much more stable to be on a flatback chair with my own two feet solidly on the floor. Getting up high on a bar stool isn't as secure.

I suppose sitting on a bar stool makes it a bit easier to sing because it puts your diaphragm in a better position to give you good support, but it's easiest to sing while standing.

So, no, I don't have one of those bar stools and wouldn't use it if I did.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-20-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Hi Db

You can find 'barstools' at Costco, or Sam's Club for far less money and they will be just as uncomfortable to play on as the one you posted for me.

I'm a chair with both feet on the ground player.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Db

You can find 'barstools' at Costco, or Sam's Club for far less money and they will be just as uncomfortable to play on as the one you posted for me.

I'm a chair with both feet on the ground player.

Some time ago, when I was creating my pub gig circuit, I decided that it would be cool tohave my own stool, with rungs at just the right place. I biught a couple, modified them etc., and found them quite impractical.

Later I kept the best one and offered it to folk playing at my cklub - they avoided it, preferring to stand or sit in a standard chair.

One issue with stools is the feeling of insecurity, and less than ideal posture.

I'm a bit of a bore about posture:
Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I’ve used the below stool from J.C. Penney ($69.99) for close to 20-years. I liked it so much after using it a couple months, that I bought a second identical one. It’s only 24” tall so I can easily keep my left foot on the floor. I rest my right foot on the rung, which puts the guitar in a great position for me. The seat is cushioned and it swivels, which makes it very convenient for repositioning, and I find it plenty stable/secure. At 61, I’ve got no posture issues and still find this stool to be very comfortable. The only time I don’t use this is when I play in classical position, and then I use a height-adjustable piano bench and a foot rest.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 07-20-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I’ve used the below stool from J.C. Penney ($69.99) for close to 20-years. I liked it so much after using it a couple months, that I bought a second identical one. It’s only 24” tall so I can easily keep my left foot on he floor. I rest my right foot on the rung, which puts the guitar in a great position for me. The seat is cushioned and it swivels, which makes it very convenient for repositioning, and I find it plenty stable/secure. At 61, I’ve got no posture issues and still find this stool to be very comfortable. The only time I don’t use this is when I play in classical position, and then I use a height-adjustable piano bench and a foot rest.

Thanks for your thoughts you guys...

I currently have a very simple basic chair like the one in Silly Moustache’s video. It’s more or less adequate but I just feel like I could be a little more comfortable.

I wonder if that fact that I’m 6’1” in height has anything to do with it? I have the sense the chair is a bit low for me, especially if I put my right foot on my foot stool...makes me feel a bit cramped vertically while sitting...If that makes any sense...

Having a slightly higher stool scenario like you are describing where I can elevate my right foot on a rung, and leave my left foot on the floor, sounds appealing...If I can get a backrest for an added comfort and stability then even better...

I have found some significantly cheaper options out there with a backrest...definitely would need to try it in person in a store I think with my guitar to make sure...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 07-20-2019, 07:40 PM

It's a chair for me. I actually have a couple of nice wooden stools, but I prefer my old inexpensive chair. It feels more stable.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:51 PM

Nicest stool I’ve ever fallen off!

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion