The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-31-2019, 11:28 PM

Default Anyone seen one of these before?

Allegedly a late 50s Fasan high end model made specifically for the North American Market.
Beautiful sounding archtop. Solid carved spruce top Flame maple back and sides, 5 piece neck, ebony board with very interesting geometric MOP markers. Soundhole annnd F-holes. HUGE frets ,strangely teutonic tuners and giant fat neck which feels good in the hand regardless. Lots' of unsual yet clearly German design features.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:57 AM

I'm guessing that's a laminate back, not a solid, one-piece back?

Some would say that the finish (colours) looks very German indeed

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-01-2019, 10:36 AM

Oh the Guitar is definitely German. I was curious if anyone had seen another one like it. The fellow I contacted at Hofner helped identify it. I would say judging from the exactly matching flame on the inside of the back and the one crack it has in the side that the back and sides are solid maple for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops