The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Default A visit to Mark Hatcher's shop

I had the pleasure of visiting Mark Hatcher's shop on Sunday with a friend and it was a great time. First, Mark's guitars look fantastic in the pictures he takes, but they look even better in person. The attention to detail that comes through in the pictures, is even more evident in how he keeps his shop, organizes his tools and then assembles his guitars.
The three of us sat and chatted for a while, and then Mark took out a few guitars. The koa Penelope crossover guitar featured in this build thread, Penelope Crossover Build thread was in it's final stages of assembly, but unfortunately did not have a nut or saddle at the time, so I was not able to play it. I was able to play two of his other guitars. A Swiss spruce and Brazilian rosewood guitar and a Swiss spruce and black limba guitar.
Both were fantastic instruments. Very open, light and LOUD! But they had excellent separation, and clarity despite how hard my friend Micah, was beating on them. I have a little softer touch despite being a strummer, and both guitars performed excellently. The set up was great, with nice action, and the guitars were super easy to play.
If you are like me, and you have read every build thread as they are posted, you have no doubt read one or two of Mark's build threads and have seen the lattice bracing he uses. Well, I got to handle one of those braces before it was glued to a top, and let me tell you, it is LIGHT! Lighter than I expected by a wide margin. His guitars are extremely light as a complete instrument as well. They are very responsive guitars to say the least. Excellent sounding instruments that respond well to soft finger picking or strumming as well as heavy playing.
I don't want to sound like an advertisement for Mark's guitars, but they really are great. If you are on the fence about ordering one, I would suggest you get in line now before his prices go up. If I didn't build my own, I would be in line right now!
I said it to Mark already, but I appreciate him opening up his shop to me and by buddy and showing us everything we asked to see including the cool jig he made to fabricate his braces. I also added two tools to my list of "Lutherie Tools I Really Fricken' Want": The fret wire bender and the LMII fret tang removal tool. It just works faster and easier than the fret tang nipper I made from a Klein Nibbler. It was a very good day and I wish Mark the best of luck in his killer new shop at his new place.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I would suggest you get in line now before his prices go up. If I didn't build my own, I would be in line right now!
I just did get "in line"!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I really wish I could have joined you! I really love the simplicity and class of the new headstock and have to imagine his SJ (Josie, I believe) would be an amazing instrument.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Wow

Thanks Tony,

I'm not sure what the appropriate response should be (I'll send you that fiver later). I enjoyed having you guys over and we really did have a good talk.
I'm glad I got a chance to see and play your Hurricane Sandy guitar. It's a great looking and sounding guitar as well as a very generous effort on your part.
I am very excited about making the move up to New Hampshire. We closed on the property a while ago and I've been spending a lot of time getting ready for the move. I've got the main shop area sealed up for humidity control and will start moving non-essentials up before our big move in mid-July.
Here is a picture of the new shop so far;

The main floor 26' by 25'. I'm partitioning off a room behind the garage door where I'll keep the heavier/louder equipment (dust collector, thickness sander, etc.) There is a large fully finished office/sitting area upstairs, and a full walk in basement. There already is heat and a bathroom. This was originally an electrician's business so it's completely wired and the main floor is steel reinforced concrete.
My wife and I shopped towns in New Hampshire for five years before we landed on Peterborough in the south western corner of the state. It's a beautiful non big box store New England small town. It's also a very artsie area with the Edward McDowell art colony right outside town and many small artisan shops all over the place.
I'll finally have a a nice place to hold some meet ups, in a shop with plenty of room, in an area where you probably wouldn't have a tough time talking a significant other to come out to for a weekend.

Thanks Again,
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM

very cool shop. Looks neat. Sounds like you'll have plenty room and some to expand. Blessings.

Kevin.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
very cool shop. Looks neat. Sounds like you'll have plenty room and some to expand. Blessings.

Kevin.
Hi Kevin,

I'm really happy to have found this place. It's coming together well. I look forward to starting in on the first new guitar here.

Thanks a lot!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 PM

That shop looks spectacular... I'd take it as my home And it sounds like you'll be in a wonderful region... all the best for your move.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Mark, I love the shop you have there. It looks like it once had two overhead doors in the front and one was framed in with a window? I have a similar situation and have thought about framing in/eliminating two of my overhead doors.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM

I've been admiring Mark's work for a while and am delighted to say that the first for TAMCO in the UK is on order.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
That shop looks spectacular... I'd take it as my home And it sounds like you'll be in a wonderful region... all the best for your move.
Thanks Berf!

Steven Wright
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
Mark, I love the shop you have there. It looks like it once had two overhead doors in the front and one was framed in with a window? I have a similar situation and have thought about framing in/eliminating two of my overhead doors.
Hi Joe,

Thanks! Yes, there was an overhead door that I closed in.
An overhead door is just hard to seal up tight and fully insulate. Plus you loose a lot of wall space. I was going to close up both doors until it occurred to me what a convenience it would be for getting larger tools in like that big belt thickness sander Grizzly makes. So I decided to partition a smaller room off behind it for the big and noisy equipment.

Thanks again,
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
I've been admiring Mark's work for a while and am delighted to say that the first for TAMCO in the UK is on order.
Hi Trevor,

I'm excited to be working with you also. You have some really wonderful guitars by some of the best builders and I am complimented to have my work among them.

Thanks,
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Mark, that looks like such a wonderful and inspiring place to create just about anything. I say this with a small (maybe not small?) amount of envy, but also with sincere wishes for your happiness there. Everyone should be so blessed to work in such beautiful surroundings!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mark, that looks like such a wonderful and inspiring place to create just about anything. I say this with a small (maybe not small?) amount of envy, but also with sincere wishes for your happiness there. Everyone should be so blessed to work in such beautiful surroundings!
Hey, you can't be envious, you just got an awesome dreadnought from Joel Stehr!
Thank-you very much for your kind wishes,
Mark

Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop