The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
My criteria is simple. If I walked into a bar/club/cafe and heard something playing would I stay and listen. The piece you posted has some interesting chords but ...
  • Your guitar is out of tune
  • The song has no recognizable structure

The first is always a sign (to me) of an amateur or rank beginner. A performance starts with an instrument that's in tune. The second is arguable. Seems much modern music is essentially unstructured. While that may appeal to some, it does not appeal to me.

If one chooses to express themselves musically in a form that differs from the "norm" then one must also realize that the receptive audience will be much smaller than it would be for more "traditional" style and structure.
I accept what you say but i have no desire to anything other than what i am ....that is an amature ..............i will always be an amature because i ahve a mistrust in profesionalism ........it isnt honest anymore if indeed it ever was .................when you learn what the mass of profesionals realy do unassisted by anything other than themselves .............very very often the are no bette than you and me .

Now thats lieing to the public .........it has become such a norm ,its accepted over someone being honest ..........because honesty doesnt paint as pritty a picture .

I see nothing wrong with trying to be profesional .........but i do with trying to make a profesional out of nothing ..........there are many of them about i'm sure you will agree .

People forget that perfection comes from making mistakes .....hiding your mistakes by pushing them under carpets of technology is a fraud .............if thats what floats your boat then to those people carry on ...............but i am trying to make a statement of honesty .......

The funny thing is that when an artist starts to be honest he loses his audience ...................do you think prefesionals keep eveything note perfect when they play fro themselves .........not on your nellie .......he is most happy experimenting and that means an awful sound sometimes ,but he loves expression .I think it makes a musician better when he does try for perfection to please an audience .

This is not show or an audience ........its a place for guitarists to be adventurous together without the boos of an audience .

I'm a funny old bloke ......but i find others far more lost than i am when i concider what the role of a musician is .
Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnback View Post
I love the simple black setting of the movie.

Hey and yes the guitar is out of tune, but so what, it is a good start, so don't give up. Work hard on your music and add some color next time
http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/sil...tentertainment

I dont come any more colorful and i even got dyslexia .........but i am at peace with my failings ..........why is this so hard to accept for most
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelator View Post
This is not show or an audience ........its a place for guitarists to be adventurous together without the boos of an audience
The professional musicians I know practice and get their music as close to "perfect" as they can before they perform it public. What's your point in posting here asking for input, and then rejecting or arguing whatever comments are made? Obviously you just want an "atta boy", and anyone who doesn't come through is just not as much of a purist as you are.

There is nothing false about great music and great musicianship. You want us to believe it's all smoke and mirrors and that every great musician is just a hack without the technology. You also want us to believe that what you posted in this thread is somehow "more real" than their great performances. That's a cop out for not caring enough to develop your own talent to its potential.

Listen to a symphony orchestra. That ain't technology, that's talent and years upon years of dedication and hard work.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 AM

What i am trying to say in music but find i am having to say it in words due to the meaning of music being lost is the through industry we have desecrated the land and polluted the riverwaters of the land .Now through technology we are about to desecrate the human body in the same way as industry destroyed the land .....through introducing things into the body that were never meant to be there .

I'm saying enough already ..who needs an alien invasion ,when we humans do it so much better ...........we are at threat from our selves .

Music in this day should be reflexcting that .......not painting a picture of a euforic land laced with bueaty .......its a feckin mess ...and i say it has always been musics place to record that history .

Someone traveling back in time base on its music ,wouldnt know the place the music is selling in this day .

If its uggly .........tell it in its own meanings ......and people love their music so much they may even change to make the music better again ,coz there is no baffled king singing hallelujah in this day and age .
Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 AM

yes i may be a purist but not in any sense of the meaning you use it for .I am a purist because i found no more honest a way of telling or showing the truth than a piece of wood a bit of wire and a man who partrayed the truth of his time .

You keep taking of the greats in past times .......if all we do is repeat it .....we are living not in our own time and so could never tell the truth of our day .they were great because they told the story of their own time .
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 AM

the music of today doesnt want the heat and thats the truth when talking of acoustic music in our day .
Old 02-22-2010, 09:47 AM

The difference between art and noise is subjective. If no one wants to listen to what you have to offer, whether it is because they don't get it, or it sucks, or any other reason, then what is the point other than an exercise in 'self expression'? I think whether your music is art is better left to those besides yourself to decide.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
The difference between art and noise is subjective. If no one wants to listen to what you have to offer, whether it is because they don't get it, or it sucks, or any other reason, then what is the point other than an exercise in 'self expression'? I think whether your music is art is better left to those besides yourself to decide.
I think art is only judged with the passing of time and not what i am concerned with ...........truth i am ,and i dont profess to be that good at telling truth .....but i am no bare faced liar either .
Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 AM

The only music i can find for to associate with the music of today is that which the pied pipper used to lead its pray into deep water .

What good is singing about dreams if reality is inflickted so harshly with them .

and i will say no more ..........and hope i have pricked the mind of music as to what its all about .
Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
they were great because they told the story of their own time .
I strongly disagree. Great music is timeless and great lyrics touch on universals. What I hear young "progressive" musicians playing today is so egocentric or topical as to have no interest to anyone except themselves, and even then, only for a while.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Its timeless because it is so associated with its day ( its what makes it timeless ,truth never changes .....like i say todays music is lost amongst the lies ....and is no longer true .

The classical musical you talk of comes from a time when nature and its understanding was sought after .............the sound of a cuckoo ......the song of a Thrush .......the music mimicked the interest of the day which was discovery through exploration with aimes of a better world .Its like we have an ungencey for to need another planet to live on the way we desecrate the land and its inhabitants of the hear and now .its like we think we know all there is to know and are so eager to have another world in a far off place discarding the one we have as excess Karma

The day we live in today is a complete contrast to what those composers and musicans truely sought after ...........a livable dream that all could associate with through the sustenance of life through its land .That for us is plannet earth ..............stuff the aliens ,leave them in an imagenary world where they belong
Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The day we live in today is a complete contrast to what those composers and musicans truely sought after ...........a livable dream that all could associate with through the sustenance of life through its land .That for us is plannet earth ..............stuff the aliens ,leave them in an imagenary world where they belong
Yeah, right ... I couldn't agree more!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Yeah, right ... I couldn't agree more!
So where reason is defeated ........the trusty old art of sarcasm rears its unjust head .
Old 02-22-2010, 12:51 PM

I liked it, it had some very nice things in it. True, could have been tuned a little closer and had a few muffled notes, but muffled notes aren't the worst thing - and if you were just jamming, I think it has some very nice ideas in it.

It has a nice sad sound to it. Not sure it's what you'd like to do, but I'd play it some more, maybe think of some words to it. Doesn't ever have to be a set piece, but if you keep playing around with it, it might inspire some text to go along with it. Your posts show you have enough ideas for lyrics (even if it's a little hard to follow sometimes, I admit, but don't take that wrong way).

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 PM

Okay, after reading a bit here I think I can offer something. I think you can accomplish what you seek and still make it appealing to a large audience. However, it is an audience you must find -- or are you only playing for an audience of one? Either way, you're going to have to accept that the performer does not dictate what the audience likes.

I have some songs that the subject matter reflects "realistic" angst. "Lonely Night" and "Passing Time" to name a couple. Since they have been received well, I can say they've found their audience.

So, say what you want to say in your music and let the chips fall. If you're not seeking success, you will at least enjoy what you're doing.

Last edited by SteeleString; 02-22-2010 at 01:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD