The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Bluetooth Education

Just a learning experience for me concerning my new car and Bluetooth. I got my new car set up to connect with my phone via Bluetooth. I haven't experienced a phone call yet. But the other day I stopped with my wife at a Quick and Go and had my car running right outside the door. My phone rang so I tried to answer it. No one would respond. It rang again and again no one would respond. When I got back to my car my wife had a couple of questions for me about a phone call she thought she experienced but wasn't sure. She's new to this also. I'm sure many of you know this that I was close enough to my car to send the phone call to my car and bypass my phone. So now I don't leave my Bluetooth on all the time.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-19-2019, 07:43 AM

Yeah, I've done this. With the vehicle running, but me not in it, I tried to answer and could hear the caller's voice coming from inside the truck, but I couldn't be heard. When your phone is bluetooth connected to the vehicle its mic and speakers are active for phone conversations. You won't be able to use your phone mic for talking unless you turn off the bluetooth first. One of those learning curves for those of us who weren't raised with all this technology.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:00 AM

Default yup

I'm an old curmudgeon with hand crank windows on an old GMC truck. Blue-tooth equates to stained teeth in my world. My wife is the opposite...latest tech find and she's on it. She recently bought a new car, with all the latest computer bling. I went to back it out of the garage for her when her "phone" received a call over the monitor screen and speakers. Scared the beejezus out of me. Tech is tacky too me
Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 AM

It’s a two-edged sword so I look at its potential benefits for safety as a reason to doff my tin foil cap. Any type of wireless connection that allows me to keep my eyes on the road and hands on the wheel is all good in my book.

If I get a text from my wife I just look at my phone which is mounted on the windshield in GPS mode with my ETA on it all I have to do is push the button and tell Siri “text my wife.” I’m a good husband.

I’m not saying it’s completely safe though. The other day we’re in a hotel and Pavoratti starts blaring from my wife’s phone. Apparently somebody in the next room named Nick with an iPad established an Airdrop Connection with my wife’s phone and we had to put her in airplane mode to get it to stop.

It was an accident but part of the reason why I curse Steve Jobs. To quote another dead person “with great power comes great responsibility.”
Technology is here to stay and we have to be diligent in how to use it wisely lest our ignorance get the best of us.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:35 AM
G625 mistral-k

On my iPhone it automatically connects to both our vehicles when I am speaking and then get in the vehicle. I am also able to disconnect from the vehicle easily by pressing the phones speaker option which then brings up the menu of speaker choices, including the cars bluetooth, speakerphone or iPhone, one click, no issues. When the phone rings while I am standing next to the running vehicle, it presents me the option of which speaker, bluetooth to the car, iPhone speakerphone or iPhone which I am able to select.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
On my iPhone it automatically connects to both our vehicles when I am speaking and then get in the vehicle. I am also able to disconnect from the vehicle easily by pressing the phones speaker option which then brings up the menu of speaker choices, including the cars bluetooth, speakerphone or iPhone, one click, no issues. When the phone rings while I am standing next to the running vehicle, it presents me the option of which speaker, bluetooth to the car, iPhone speakerphone or iPhone which I am able to select.
Yes, that’s an option that I willingly disabled - partly because my wife and I both have iPhones and only one can be connected at a time. My vehicle does not have that capability. I don’t miss it. I prefer using an earpiece.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
It’s a two-edged sword so I look at its potential benefits for safety as a reason to doff my tin foil cap. Any type of wireless connection that allows me to keep my eyes on the road and hands on the wheel is all good in my book.

If I get a text from my wife I just look at my phone which is mounted on the windshield in GPS mode with my ETA on it all I have to do is push the button and tell Siri “text my wife.” I’m a good husband.

I’m not saying it’s completely safe though. The other day we’re in a hotel and Pavoratti starts blaring from my wife’s phone. Apparently somebody in the next room named Nick with an iPad established an Airdrop Connection with my wife’s phone and we had to put her in airplane mode to get it to stop.

It was an accident but part of the reason why I curse Steve Jobs. To quote another dead person “with great power comes great responsibility.”
Technology is here to stay and we have to be diligent in how to use it wisely lest our ignorance get the best of us.
That might have been a kind reminder for you to check your settings. Most people get a lewd photo.

Curse Steve Jobs? It's your responsibility to use Internet connected devices in a secure manner as much as I know many do not. One of my kids got a new iPhone Sunday and I made sure he set it up with all of the prompts. It clearly took him though all the important steps and explained the choices. Many people blow past that or don't really think about the security.

For the OP, I suggest practicing how the handsfree works in your car. You want to know that before it comes up when your concentration could be less than ideal. You can toggle the bluetooth on and off but not all cars do a super job if connecting you automatically again. That's another reason for some practice in the driveway.

All cars have had handsfree for a while now and we're getting close to all cars having AEB (automatic emergency braking). One should know how they work and take advantage of it.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That might have been a kind reminder for you to check your settings. Most people get a lewd photo.

Curse Steve Jobs? It's your responsibility to use Internet connected devices in a secure manner as much as I know many do not. One of my kids got a new iPhone Sunday and I made sure he set it up with all of the prompts. It clearly took him though all the important steps and explained the choices. Many people blow past that or don't really think about the security.

For the OP, I suggest practicing how the handsfree works in your car. You want to know that before it comes up when your concentration could be less than ideal. You can toggle the bluetooth on and off but not all cars do a super job if connecting you automatically again. That's another reason for some practice in the driveway.

All cars have had handsfree for a while now and we're getting close to all cars having AEB (automatic emergency braking). One should know how they work and take advantage of it.

Good luck.
Yes, I curse Steve Jobs. Darn you straight to heck, Steve! Sorry if that’s out of line, mods!
Old 07-20-2019, 03:34 PM

Its important to back up a little, keep the string tight and speak directly into the #10 can! I'll learn the bluetooth thing later.

Fog
Old 07-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Yes, I curse Steve Jobs. Darn you straight to heck, Steve! Sorry if that’s out of line, mods!
Might as well add B. Franklin , Edison, Tesla, AG Bell and heck Ol' Albert E. to that list.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Might as well add B. Franklin , Edison, Tesla, AG Bell and heck Ol' Albert E. to that list.
Point taken. Can we at least gather up a lynch mob and take out the guy who invented the “selfie stick?”
Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

I'm shopping for a new or slightly used Honda Ridgeline right now and have learned that they don't come with a CD player anymore.

Guess I'll need to learn about this "bluetoof" thing all the kids are talking about.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I'm shopping for a new or slightly used Honda Ridgeline right now and have learned that they don't come with a CD player anymore.
My 2016 Ram Bighorn doesn't have a cd player. I had 1 free year of Sirius/XM and then their scam/sucker business model kicks in and I told them to pound sand.

I've been slowly buying songs from iTunes and have enough GOOD music on my phone to get me to East Texas and back without hearing a song twice.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-21-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It's your responsibility to use Internet connected devices in a secure manner
As opposed to winging it ?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

No offense but you could just shut the car off rather than leave it idling then there would be no issue

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic