The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 04:38 PM

Default New “Exotic” Acoustisonic model coming soon

Found this video on the web today and realized it must be about a version of the Acoustisonic Telecaster that’s being released at Summer NAMM 2019 next week.

North of $3,000? Koa body and top?

I’m guessing these are selling very wel for Fender, since they’re still on backorder most everywhere and have a 4.5 star rating from all web reviews.

I’m still hoping they go the other price direction with a $1,000 Made in Mexico model.

Thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bhi9sXzwvw
Old 07-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I know one guy who has one but I haven't played it. Obviously as you said Fender is selling a lot of there. Like to try one...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:06 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hey, it's Lister from Red Dwarf!

Looks like a fun guitar. In electric mode, I thought it still sounded pretty acoustic on that video. Maybe because of the bridge? Still, can't wait to try one.

JR
Old 07-17-2019, 06:58 PM

I’ve seen a lot of videos for this guitar, and that one’s not a great judge of its tone. And it isn’t even a guitar show, so they made no attempt to mic the amp in a quality way. Cool video in its own right, though.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Music Zoo has one;

I played with a guy on July 4th who was on one. The acoustic tone sounded fantastic. Like an acoustic but much louder and coming from a little box behind him.

Next trip over to Music Zoo, I'll have to take one for a spin!
Old 07-19-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Music Zoo has one;

I played with a guy on July 4th who was on one. The acoustic tone sounded fantastic. Like an acoustic but much louder and coming from a little box behind him.

Next trip over to Music Zoo, I'll have to take one for a spin!
looks nice but 3 grand ?
Old 07-19-2019, 03:29 PM

Try four grand.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

How about this one;

MZ has them listed at $3299

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products...ter-cocobolo-1

You know that you're going to get something off of that just for asking. And they have the standard Acoustasonic listed for $1999.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:58 PM

I have a standard Acoustasonic in natural and I love it. I was okay with the price but I'm having a hard time understanding why they need to double it for a koa or other fancy top. I'm not seeing anything else different about these and I think I'm best off with the spruce top on mine anyway! Money saved!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Hey, it's Lister from Red Dwarf!

Looks like a fun guitar. In electric mode, I thought it still sounded pretty acoustic on that video. Maybe because of the bridge? Still, can't wait to try one.

JR
I recalled the show in the last few months but could not remember the name, thanks.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

They are probably trying to offer an upgraded model to compete with the Taylor Custom T5z like this model: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...z/t5z-custom-k

I played one of the standard Acoustisonics and was really impressed by the acoustic settings, definitely more versatile than the T5z. But the electric sound was more limited and disappointing, along with the fit and finish compared to my Taylor T5Z Pro LTD, which I got at a Taylor Road Show last year for around $2,600 (the usual street price is a few hundred more.)

Fender hired the same guy that developed the Taylor T5 to work on the Acoustasonic pickups and electronics, so they are clearly aiming at a similar market.

Interestingly, Fender, a company known for electric guitars, has created the Acoutasonic with great acoustic sounds, but minimal electric ones, while Taylor, a primarily acoustic guitar company, has one main acoustic setting on the T5z, and more electric options. It kind of makes sense because someone who has Fender electric guitars, can get an Acoustasonic that has the same neck scale and feel as a Tele, with a nice range of acoustic sounds. I think it's a wise move for Fender.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
It kind of makes sense because someone who has Fender electric guitars can get an Acoustasonic that has the same neck scale and feel as a Tele, with a nice range of acoustic sounds.
As a happy owner of an Acoustasonic it's interesting to me how *generally* accepting this forum has been of what Fender tried to do, whereas over on Gearslutz they have trashed it mercilessly.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 AM

I have to say that I'm surprised these are such a hit. I thought it was an interesting item, but it's really a tool for live performance, whereas most guitars are sold to be played in living rooms or in a hobbyists' guitar room, few people need these kind of features in truth.

But it seems like people really like these, with their ability to sound like several different instruments, and their ability to bring the acoustic sound into a more friendly and manageable form factor. To an electric player you can play an acoustic now that has the same feel.

Being able to play live and switch sounds instantly is cool - the looper acts that are somewhat popular probably do really love these.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:15 AM

The sound is nothing like "my guitar only louder," but for playing acoustic rhythm guitar in a rock band as I do, nothing else has worked as well. I've tried real acoustics with USTs, SBTs, Mags, Tonedexters, you name it, and the Acoustasonic cuts through the noise with a sweet and full "body" resonance that I've never gotten before. I wouldn't use it for a solo acoustic performance, but with a little EQ I got a sound like Lennon's acoustic on Beatles records and that's what I was chasing.

Last edited by jparis51; 07-21-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparis51 View Post
As a happy owner of an Acoustasonic it's interesting to me how *generally* accepting this forum has been of what Fender tried to do, whereas over on Gearslutz they have trashed it mercilessly.
The other big electric guitar forum was pretty merciless with this guitar, the Taylor T5, etc.

I'd consider an Acoustisonic if I were in a band and pair it with my Ibanez RG or AZ.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion