The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-20-2019, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Yea, they should use glue like they did in the 60s.
or spray paint like they did in the 80's

(all kidding aside - its a tragically bad issue that repeats itself)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well, I accept that I'm a working class white Englishman, but I have had some hard times, serious illnesses, and great losses, and some serious anxiety and depression in my time, but I've never been tempted to seek respite with drugs or drink.

I guess it is a matter of who you are and where you are.
I'm aware of some of your tough times and for that, you have my sympathy.

Most folks have had tough times because life is hard. I'm sure you are grateful for your sobriety and your ability to push through without drugs or alcohol.
IMHO, you have been blessed.
It matters not who or where though. Witness the opiate epidemic in the United States.
It crosses all demographics and economic segments and knows no boundaries, none.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

It's no different than the overconsumption of alcohol which is generally tolerated if not accepted and is commonplace..
I think this does not get mentioned enough.
Alcohol is widely accepted and even commonly joked about, bragged about, and celebrated, yet has caused countless fatalities, addictions, and broken families and marriages over many many decades if not centuries.
Alcohol destroyed my marriage, of which I am in therapy over.
My wife couldn’t beat it. My story has been repeated millions of times.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I went all through the R&B scene in London in a '60s and '70s and never even saw much evidence of drugs until I got on the "folk"c scene playing with a vicar's son who introduced me to Mary Jane. I didn't really like the feeling of being out of control, and it ruined an opportunity to perform for the BBC.

I don't really understand why people want to abuse themselves with drugs or drug like chemicals.
Most drug /alcohol users don't view it as "abuse"? They consider "getting high" to be having fun... That's why restaurants, night clubs, fairs, ball games, etc, sell alcohol. The owners of those venues seem to understand perfectly, what people really want? The only reason they don't sell "Mary Jane" at those places is because it's against the law...

Without liquor, & dope, popular music wouldn't be wherever it is today. "Clean & sober" musicians, writers, & performers, have had little influence on modern music.... Can anyone name some of their "favorite music folks", who are known for their lifetime substance abstinence?

Don
Old 07-21-2019, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I'm aware of some of your tough times and for that, you have my sympathy.

Most folks have had tough times because life is hard. I'm sure you are grateful for your sobriety and your ability to push through without drugs or alcohol.
IMHO, you have been blessed.
It matters not who or where though. Witness the opiate epidemic in the United States.
It crosses all demographics and economic segments and knows no boundaries, none.
actually, for a time, they gave me "fentanyl" patches which is some sort of artificial opiate.
I certainly eased some of the pain, but made me rather "doped" but enough to drive to meet the boys and play a little although I couldn't really talk. It also gave me cold sweats and other stuff.
I did notice that the guys thought I was acting oddly.

Apparently Fentanyl is highly addictive, and shortly after they (my cancer advisors at the hospital) prescribed it they started talking about cutting it down.
i resisted for a few weeks but realised that I was becoming dependant on it so started to snip bits off the patches, then tried cutting them in half, quarter, and then just cut them out completely.
I was in a three day pain cycle and though the pain and inability to swallow became consistent, I realised that the opiate only gave me another issue to manage.

They also gave me two bottle of a Morphine liquid solution to be taken with a 5 m/ pipette. A spoonful of that would have probably taken me out.

I never went out drinking to get drunk, my generation mostly thought it unmanly to get drunk - we drank because it tasted good.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

I'm on vacation in Colorado so I can't say much on the subject

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-21-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Wasps Pray???

I suppose they do.

Yes- they pray. But they don’t close their eyes nor bow their heads.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic