The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 AM
AGF Administrator

No. I've experienced too much moving around to keep a friend for more than a few years. Every previous friendship I've had has fallen victim to "out of sight, out of mind" and I've grown weary of it. As such, I make a point of not getting too attached to people I know I'll just lose in a few years (or less).
Old 07-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Friends are much too high maintenance. I don’t have time (will, want, patience, empathy, need etc...) for that.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

I will be 55 this year. I still have an active friendship with a fellow I met in kindergarten and another in 9th grade. Outside of my 5 siblings those are
My longest and closest friendships.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

We moved around too much, when I was younger. I have close friends from high school and college, but 16 years ago, we moved west to CA (from PA), so getting together has become more difficult. We keep in touch via social media, which is helpful, but it's not the same as hanging out together and watching our kids get to know each other.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I pissed too many people off when I was young. Not so much now except for my wife on occasion.

Last edited by Merak; 08-02-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Cuz
Old 08-02-2019, 01:11 PM

My best friend is my buddy Mike. We're 57 now, and have been friends for 52 of those years.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
No. My Father was an aerospace engineer and we moved around far too much as a kid to make any deep friendships. Then when I was 18 I joined the Navy and not only moved every 2 or 3 years but I spent almost all of the '70s (my 20s) overseas in the Western Pacific. Most of my current friends are from racing and now that I'm semi-retired from that I rarely see them. I'm in contact with a few friends from high school and old Navy shipmates, mostly on Facebook, but no one really close.
I just sold a car (literally, he just drove out of my driveway) to a guy I was stationed with back in the early 1990's. Hard to believe it's been almost 30 years.

Some of the friendships I value the most are those with whom I served.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:56 PM

Me and my...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-L-PYnW8Uc
Old 08-03-2019, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

I have no friends from my school days.

From '73 to '93, I worked for a multinational, and moved around a fair bit, but only have one or two friends from those days - I lost a lot of friendships when I walked out in '93. One has stayed fairly close and we keep in touch. We got to know each other, not directly through work but when I started up the company Photographic society. (My other life)! He's also a jazz guitarist, so apart from being within ten days - the same age, we have both photography and music in common. He was very supportive during my illness.

In some pub, in the late '60s, I was sitting alone watching a great British blues player called Jo-Anne Kelly. She asked for someone in the audience to back her on her 12 styring as she payed some stuff on her National. I stood up. I played with the great Jo-Anne.

Then there was a break, and I found myself at the stall next to the guy I had been sitting next to. He congratulated me on my playing and we became good friends up until 2004. We had spent many Friday/Saturday nights playing the blues. (He loved guitars even more than me), and we went to folk festivals together.
In 2004 I was going to drive through Texas and rang him to ask him if he wanted me to pick up anything while I was there. He was extraordinarily happy, and told me that he'd finally sold his business and would be a millionaire by the time I returned.

We rejoiced as we always spoke of our retirement years when we could sit and drink and buy/sell guitars etc.

When I got back there was a letter from him, asking me to come up ASAP to value all his instruments and to supervise the sale of them all to get the best for his wife.

I rang him to be told that a week after his company sale he was told he had cancer, and had decided not to undergo delaying treatment.

He died a month later, and his wife wouldn't let me near his guitars.
I'm still angry with him for dying.

I guess my oldest friend is Mando Bob. We irritate the hell out of each other, but we still play together.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:24 AM

My picking buddy (Mandolin/tenor banjo) says his earliest memory is;

"Went to the drive-in movie with my dad, and then returned home with my mom!"

Fog
Old 08-03-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
My picking buddy (Mandolin/tenor banjo) says his earliest memory is;

"Went to the drive-in movie with my dad, and then returned home with my mom!"

Fog
Took a second for the penny to drop - made me laugh!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

I just had a jam with a guy who has been my friend since 2nd grade. We hadn’t had a sit-down in a few years, but we do live a few hundred miles away. After we played a few tunes, it sounded like old times.

We learned to play guitar together. After college we were in a killer bar band. I wish we kept in better touch. I’ll work on that.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 08-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Reminds me of this:

I had been friends with Jay Geils since 1964. Met in college. I had the opportunity to met Billy Joel with Jay several years ago. Jay introduced me to Billy telling him he and I had been friends since 1964.

Billy said: “1964. Cool. See this guy standing next to me?”

I said yes. Billy said “When we moved into our first house I was about ten. My mother gave me a quarter and told me to go make a friend. He was the first kid I met. I gave him my quarter and he’s been my friend ever since. “

May or may not be true, but it got a laugh.

Rich
Old 08-12-2019, 08:47 PM

I have a couple of friends I've known so long that i cannot remember ever not knowing them. But my bestest friends are from college.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
My best friend Andrew and I met when I was 2 and he was 4. Our houses backed onto each other growing up. We started playing guitar together in our teens. We still have a lot in common though we have had different life paths. We'll be talking Monday night and we text often.
45 years as friends.

Do you have any lifelong friends?
My best friend Gary and I met when we were two and were toddling around side by side in the church nursery. We've been best friends ever since, 63 years on.

He still lives in Kansas City and I've been living in Alaska since 1982, but whenever I get back to KC we get together.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic