The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Default how to tune guitar for these chords?

I came across a music score and the chord diagrams just don't seem to be "right" for standard tuning. In particular it looks like there's something missing for A and D strings, unless they are supposed to be muted and I don't understand the notation.

https://www.facebook.com/download/32...p5a0VU2_RPNJ0m

Of course, I can just ignore the diagrams and go with the chord names only, but I'm curious for sure.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Linky no worky

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I came across a music score and the chord diagrams just don't seem to be "right" for standard tuning. In particular it looks like there's something missing for A and D strings, unless they are supposed to be muted and I don't understand the notation.

https://www.facebook.com/download/32...p5a0VU2_RPNJ0m

Of course, I can just ignore the diagrams and go with the chord names only, but I'm curious for sure.
I don't how it will be for others, but I can't get to that link, it says "Insufficient permission".

Not that I'd actually be able to help, I'm just curious.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Yep, try and post an alternative link.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Let's try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vknnjowtt...ories.pdf?dl=0
Old 07-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now I can see it. I looks like standard tuning, except they forgot to put an "x" on the strings that are not to be played.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

From that piano score (key of F major) it looks like standard tuning is reasonable (melody line is high enough for some base harmony to fit underneath). Of course you will have to do quite a bit of adapting the piano score to make it possible to play on the guitar.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 PM

The chords are all pretty standard and correct for standard tuning, mostly, looks like the A and D are just pretty much left off some. You could certainly put them in...

This is one of those situations where knowing what notes are in a chord as opposed to just knowing shapes would be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-11-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Now I can see it. I looks like standard tuning, except they forgot to put an "x" on the strings that are not to be played.
Thanks, that was my best guess too. Probably should interpret the charts that if there is no dot on the string then it does not get played or muted or whatever.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that was my best guess too. Probably should interpret the charts that if there is no dot on the string then it does not get played or muted or whatever.
Exactly.
At times it's looks as though they've tried to get the piano voicing in the chord shape, but not always. They may also be assuming - or intending - that you'd be fingerpicking the shapes (thumb and 3 fingers), not strumming them - hence only 4 notes in most of the shapes.
But I reckon you could just fill in the gaps from the normal shapes, play it as you like. Assuming you're OK with barres!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write