The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-24-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
they're quite comfortable, and on sale at overstock... https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks very much. Just ordered one.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Nice -- kind of Eames-ish.

Couch Standards
Old 12-24-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
everyone comments on how comfortable they are for playing guitar.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't think there's any extra hoop for the performer - most wouldn't know the difference between, say a vertical XY, and a MS setup. And I don't think MS is any more sensitive (or less) to movement than any other (except mono). Mathematically, MS is exactly the same stereo pattern as XY, so I'd say the same issues with movement occur no matter what the micing technique - but they are exacerbated by close micing. What I described as locking myself in place, basically by having a chair and a footstool, I do regardless of the micing technique. I don't like wearing headphones while recording, unless I'm overdubbing.

I do suspect that with spaced pairs there's at least a bit more of a visual guide, and observant guitarists will naturally try to keep themselves aligned to the mics, while an MS setup offers less of a visual cue. But I've had plenty of times recording others where we get the mics set up and by 2nd take I realize the player has managed to move dramatically out of the position we set up - even with spaced pairs.... Some people just can't sit still :-) I do feel better correcting the levels of a spaced-pair recording than an XY or MS if they end up being off because someone has moved - perhaps for no rational reason.

I知 about to purchase two CMC5 scheops kit mics. I thought about getting them both cardioid but, after watching your video. I知 thinking of getting 1 cardioid, and the other Omni. It値l be mostly used for acoustic guitar recording. I知 still not sure though.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR1960 View Post
I’m about to purchase two CMC5 scheops kit mics. I thought about getting them both cardioid but, after watching your video. I’m thinking of getting 1 cardioid, and the other Omni. It’ll be mostly used for acoustic guitar recording. I’m still not sure though.
For MS, you need a figure 8, not omni. The mid mic can be either cardiod or omni, tho it's usually cardiod. The side has to be a figure 8, which would be the MK8 capsule for schoeps. The nice thing is that you can easily add more capsules once you have the mic bodies. (Well, it's "easy", but the capsule's aren't cheap...) I have a pair of MK41s (hyper-cardiod), MK2s (omni), and MK8s (figure 8). With 2 MK8s, you can also do Blumlein. It's actually kind of cool to do MS with 2 figure 8's as you can set them up for XY/Blumlein, and then just rotate them 45 degrees and you have MS.

Last edited by Doug Young; 12-24-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
everyone comments on how comfortable they are for playing guitar.
Interesting. I have one wooden stool that has the upward curved sides and I can't use it because the side of the guitar bumps into the right side.

Maybe these don't have that problem...
Old 12-25-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
For MS, you need a figure 8, not omni. The mid mic can be either cardiod or omni, tho it's usually cardiod. The side has to be a figure 8, which would be the MK8 capsule for schoeps. The nice thing is that you can easily add more capsules once you have the mic bodies. (Well, it's "easy", but the capsule's aren't cheap...) I have a pair of MK41s (hyper-cardiod), MK2s (omni), and MK8s (figure 8). With 2 MK8s, you can also do Blumlein. It's actually kind of cool to do MS with 2 figure 8's as you can set them up for XY/Blumlein, and then just rotate them 45 degrees and you have MS.

Aha thanks for the info, I値l find out about the capsule for figure 8 after the holiday is over.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Used this technique a couple months ago to finally get a recording I liked, thank you!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-25-2018, 12:25 PM

I bet these items used as a group would make a really nice M/S (along with other configs) set for reasonable money

http://www.oktava-shop.com/Small-and...-012-MSP2.html

http://www.oktava-shop.com/MK-012-10...m-capsule.html

http://www.oktava-shop.com/Microphon...-two-mics.html
Old 07-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Doug! Your video got me into mid-side recording. It's a great technique!

Here's a tip for you. Get your hands on the new AEA KU5A ribbon microphone and try it as your mid mic. Use one of your N22s as your side mic. Pure ribbon stereo wonderfulness
Old 07-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Thanks Doug! Your video got me into mid-side recording. It's a great technique!

Here's a tip for you. Get your hands on the new AEA KU5A ribbon microphone and try it as your mid mic. Use one of your N22s as your side mic. Pure ribbon stereo wonderfulness
Thanks, Al. That's definitely an intriguing mic. I take you have tried it on acoustic guitar?

I've used the R88 and also the Royer SF24 in MS, as well as the N22s, but a hypercardiod ribbon should be an interesting option.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Used this technique a couple months ago to finally get a recording I liked, thank you!
Me too. Since this post m/s has been my main thing (using an AKG 414 for the sides and a 451 for the mid) for home recording of youtube and facebook videos. Years ago I tracked a tune for an album for someone with m/s and wasn't into the results, but I now think there were other reasons for that. I find m/s very easy and forgiving for getting good and consistent solo guitar recordings.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Al. That's definitely an intriguing mic. I take you have tried it on acoustic guitar?

I've used the R88 and also the Royer SF24 in MS, as well as the N22s, but a hypercardiod ribbon should be an interesting option.
Yes I used the KU5A as the mid mic and the N22 as the side mic. A rough recording of my little Waterloo acoustic guitar came out sounding BIG. Very dimensional yet with a solid center image. Good isolation from the room. Definitely worth a try!

By the way, Doug I recently had a conversation with Wes Dooley and I recommended your mid-side video tutorial as a starting point for mid-side newbies like me. I used your mic placement exactly and it just worked

So far I haven't found any hands-on reviews of the KU5A. I bought it on faith and I'm not disappointed. It's a brilliant choice for recording acoustic music in a small home studio. You get AEA ribbon microphone sound with the advantages of unidirectional pick up pattern.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Well done Doug , very organized informative clear concise and easy to follow

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 09-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Eric Skye

Question for you Doug;
In the tutorial you say that when using the Voxengo decoder plugin and setting the gain at the preamp, that you want to match them with the figure of eight microphone temporarily turned to face forward. And then after matched to the side microphone you rotate it back to be being perpendicular. That whole setup has worked great for me. But I am now playing around with using a manually setup mid/side matrix in Logic so I can playing around with dual mono reverbs on just the side microphone tracks, among other fun experiments.. And I'm wondering if there's a reason to use the same gain setup process, or is that unique to using a decoder plugin?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD