The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-31-2019, 11:20 PM

Default Yamaha AE1200S refinish

I'm refinishing a 1988 Yamaha AE1200S. It's a solid wood guitar, solid spruce top, birch back and sides and maple neck. It originally had a sunburst and was finisihed in polyester but as it was made in Taiwan, it had bad milky clouding in the finish like many of them did. It is a great playing and sounding guitar, but I don't like sunbursts especially not heavy polyester blotchey clouded ones.

It's been sanded down carefully and has the first two coats of behlens vinyl sealer on it. I want to do two things before I proceed with the nitro topcoats.

I want to paint a stinger on the back of the headstock
and I want to do one light coat of amber/pine tint to give the finish a bit of an ambered lacquer look

I've had trouble with behlens black paint bleeding into nitro before so If I did that first I would want to hit the back of the headstock with another coat of vinyl sealer.

Then maybe amber and then clear topcoats?

Sound good?

Old 06-01-2019, 07:10 AM

You could try black opaque color tint in lacquer instead of paint, or try sealing the paint with dewaxed shellac. I normally need 4 - 6 coats of amber tinted lacquer to get the depth of color I like, but you can judge that as you spray. Just stop when you get the color you want. Then 10 coats of clear, and sand/polish after a month or so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops