The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleString View Post
Okay, after reading a bit here I think I can offer something. I think you can accomplish what you seek and still make it appealing to a large audience. However, it is an audience you must find -- or are you only playing for an audience of one? Either way, you're going to have to accept that the performer does not dictate what the audience likes.

I have some songs that the subject matter reflects "realistic" angst. "Lonely Night" and "Passing Time" to name a couple. Since they have been received well, I can say they've found their audience.

So, say what you want to say in your music and let the chips fall. If you're not seeking success, you will at least enjoy what you're doing.
Can i first say hello to Shawlie and also say that their isnt anything you could say to have me take it the wrong way .

Now to the quoter i realy do appreciate that you cannot alienate the crowd too much they would not come and go else where .

( please please please do not take this comment the wrong way becasue the thing i am talking about is a western thing .....not a country thing )

But i will say that if Niel Young can take a bit of flack for telling the truth ( all beit as he seen it ) in his now famous WAR concert where i heard interviewers being the blunt of the crowds frustration of what was played at a concert like " ide like to smack him right in the mouth ......when asked how the concert went .Do you think Neil Young done that because he wanted to be liked .................no he saw it as his duty as a musicain to be honest and couldnt give a hoot for being liked .

Then surely a little more honesty can be excecuted on a internet forum ...........it doesnt all have to be so correct to post, and ideas can be as important as perfection .But like all you have said, the more honest an artist is the less he is liked ...so we ferosiously cover our mistakes with technological know how and trickery .

Now i know that there is some amazing players here at the AGF cause i been here before ............but i left because i felt people were not showing their true selves as artists ...............hell ,i bet all of you enjoy getting in a zone of expression that creates all mannor of wonderful sound that isnt concidered correct ...........but you hide it like its not what people want and only give the corrected and well recieved well accustomed stuff air time ...........its boring and i want to see what people realy do when they play a guitar .Raw guitar raw emotion and all the failings .Nature has been done ,politics have been done ,dreams have been done .............could i dare to say that maybe reality check could be the next musical endevour to bring it all back home again ..................because rap is kicking your asp,and i hate it .

WE the acoustic society have always been the story tellers ............but we telling lies ....and people know ...the music is lost ........and rap has took its place

Last edited by markIvan; 02-22-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:26 PM

I do have a small place reserved for those who's lively hood depends an income from guitar ....but that accounts for a small fraction of people who own guitars and even they could take the occastional knock
Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Here is a good example of what i mean ..............how can i sing or play a song like this in what has become of that very dream .The land in the dream is as foriegn to me as it is to anyone who comes from the street in England . That land has been destroyed in the name of other things not created .

How can i sing this song with any level of honesty in todays world and call it art .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5thg...layer_embedded
Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM

My first impression:
It sounds alot like most things I came up with when I was first learning. That's not a bad thing, but I would like to see it develop into something.
To my ear, it sounds like an intro to something grander. I would reduce that four minutes to about 30-45 seconds, then change directions as you go into the heart of the piece-- maybe something harmonically unexpected or a different rhythm.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko View Post
My first impression:
It sounds alot like most things I came up with when I was first learning. That's not a bad thing, but I would like to see it develop into something.
To my ear, it sounds like an intro to something grander. I would reduce that four minutes to about 30-45 seconds, then change directions as you go into the heart of the piece-- maybe something harmonically unexpected or a different rhythm.
I am thinking something the same ............i return to basics every time i experiment as that is where i feel supizes and ideas come from .

from that piecei think i may follow a story line in music that tells a tale of a broken world that some where in it still holds the melody of life ......a hint that leads the listener to hatewhat he is hearing but sees a possibilty to change into something better ...........that is where i will not disapoint and bring it all back to time/melody and hope for to repair this broken world i love so much called music and the rythum of life .

i am at this moment learning keyboard so i just pick my guitar up and wollop it ......loosening stress .........so maybe in time the keyboard will provide that gandure you speak of

now i am dreaming ,its infectious
Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM

i also think i have refind my ideas thinking tha my comments here are more concerned with the new and fresh players like me who are finding there own groove .

Of course the people who have already been through change will not want to do it again and agin .....so like the classical held the tune that every one reverts to when too far off track .....like some of the grunge ...........so too are the already established a marker for the likes of me and like me to retun to when we go off track .

But if we never learn to go off track nothing new will come and the music dies .Of course the pure music is there as a guide ....like the stones of Handsel and Gretal that lead them out of the woods ..................but not just to be forever replicated in new words because the words will not tell the same story as the music in a different time .It will be unasociated with what i hold dear about accoustic ..........its storytelling quallity that tells of what is not allowed to be told in history books

I have learned more from the words in music than i have in any other form of what is said to be truth ...............and i think that is a responsability to preserve

Last edited by markIvan; 02-23-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrZelato.../0/aosrCId77qg

I have done basically the same chords ,same key but put down the plec and am just using thumb and finger .
I will admit it does get boring to listen to from a spectators wiew maybe but i'm in the zone when playing it ,the only thing is i get stuck for vocabluary .....there isnt enough surprizes in it ........maybe even a key change but it just isnt coming to me but because its my own improvisation i'de much prefer to hang around it for a while and see if anything comes to me either by way of lyrics or more inspiration with new vocabluary .

Any ideas where i can go with this .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD