The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-17-2021, 10:25 AM

Default How do I use my Shure SM58 to record?

Hello,

I have an old Shure SM58 and I bought a desktop microphone holder for $1. I no longer have my standard microphone cable, however.

What I'm looking for is the simplest and cheapest way to make an occasional recording of one of my acoustic guitars. I know it's a dynamic microphone and a condenser microphone would be better. Plus the SM58 is supposedly best used for vocals while the SM57 is better for micing instrument ... but it's what I have and for the very limited use I envision I think it will do.

What do I need? I know there are some free DAW programs such as Audacity, which I have used for years to fine-tune some recordings I made of band rehearsals.

Btw, I also own (somewhere) a Tascam DR-05 and I understand I can use my microphone with it ... but the Tascam was just soooooo complicated to use I thought.

On one level I know I should get some sort of audio interface, from a cheaper Behringer or M Studio unit to a Focusrite, and then a standard XLR cable.

But can I do without the audio interface and just record directly into my desktop computer, guitar amp or the DR-05 by getting an XLR cable that has either a 1/4-inch output or a 3.5 mm one? Will it work ... or will it be so bad I will just have to buy an audio interface anyway?

Thanks. Again, this would just be for dabbling. I don't want to make a multi-track recording as I just want a simple recording of my guitar.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 07-17-2021, 10:50 AM

Just plugging in as you suggested the impedance would be wrong unless you buy a low to high impedance (XLR to 1/4”) adapter to plug the normal XLR female end into.

Best bet would be an interface. I recommend the Focusrite Scarletts. Good preamps plus they will replace your built-in sound card. Normally a big improvement.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Just plugging in as you suggested the impedance would be wrong unless you buy a low to high impedance (XLR to 1/4”) adapter to plug the normal XLR female end into.

Best bet would be an interface. I recommend the Focusrite Scarletts. Good preamps plus they will replace your built-in sound card. Normally a big improvement.
As for that impedance imbalance, if I bought an XLR cable that has a 1/4-inch or the 3.5 mm female end, would that also change the impedance? Or do I need to get a "regular" XLR cable and then buy an adapter? The 1/4-inch plug would not work with my computer or DR-05 anyway and so I would need to get another adapter to convert that into a 3.5 mm.

I'm trying to avoid buying an interface although, as I said, I know it's a better idea. I just won't use it that much.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 07-17-2021, 11:16 AM

No just the different connector will not change the impedance. The adapters receive the female XLR end and change the impedance to high impedance and the other end is a 1/4” male. They have built-in circuitry that changes the impedance.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Hello,

I have an old Shure SM58 and I bought a desktop microphone holder for $1. I no longer have my standard microphone cable, however.

What I'm looking for is the simplest and cheapest way to make an occasional recording of one of my acoustic guitars. I know it's a dynamic microphone and a condenser microphone would be better. Plus the SM58 is supposedly best used for vocals while the SM57 is better for micing instrument ... but it's what I have and for the very limited use I envision I think it will do.

What do I need? I know there are some free DAW programs such as Audacity, which I have used for years to fine-tune some recordings I made of band rehearsals.

Btw, I also own (somewhere) a Tascam DR-05 and I understand I can use my microphone with it ... but the Tascam was just soooooo complicated to use I thought.

On one level I know I should get some sort of audio interface, from a cheaper Behringer or M Studio unit to a Focusrite, and then a standard XLR cable.

But can I do without the audio interface and just record directly into my desktop computer, guitar amp or the DR-05 by getting an XLR cable that has either a 1/4-inch output or a 3.5 mm one? Will it work ... or will it be so bad I will just have to buy an audio interface anyway?

Thanks. Again, this would just be for dabbling. I don't want to make a multi-track recording as I just want a simple recording of my guitar.
By the time you factor in what else you need to purchase and the battle you may very well be up against to use a new interface with your computer you may want to re-evaluate your DR-05. You could use your SM-58, but just because you already have it shouldn't be your determining factor. A single SM-58 will most likely end up providing you with a less than pleasant mono recording as opposed to the stereo omni mic elements incorporated into your DR-05.

Once you set up the recording parameters you want in the menu system you'll find it's only necessary to turn it on and hit the record button twice to capture a very nice recording of your guitar, in stereo no less.

You can then use a set of headphones to listen or patch your DR-05 to an external powered speaker to listen.

Your "rig" can be as simple as using the input jack of one of the widely available small personal speakers. I use a Creative D100, but there's the even smaller and cheaper Muvo Play speaker.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-17-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
By the time you factor in what else you need to purchase and the battle you may very well be up against to use a new interface with your computer you may want to re-evaluate your DR-05. You could use your SM-58, but just because you already have it shouldn't be your determining factor. A single SM-58 will most likely end up providing you with a less than pleasant mono recording as opposed to the stereo omni mic elements incorporated into your DR-05.

Once you set up the recording parameters you want in the menu system you'll find it's only necessary to turn it on and hit the record button twice to capture a very nice recording of your guitar, in stereo no less.

You can then use a set of headphones to listen or patch your DR-05 to an external powered speaker to listen.
I am going to do just that. In fact i have not touched the Dr-05 in at least a couple of years but I have it stored locally ... in fact, an eyeglass case is its "home" right now. I've downloaded the manual again because I've forgotten everything about it.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 07-19-2021, 02:16 PM

It's perfectly possible to make a decent recording with the '58 but you will *definitely* end up buying an interface, of which there are many and even some (not all) of the super-cheap ones are pretty good.

However, I would echo Rudy4's advice and explore the possibilities with the Tascam.

The most important factors will be what you're playing and the room you are recording in.

Once you transfer your audio files to computer there are also lots of free and cheap options for tweaking that are better than Audacity.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Once you transfer your audio files to computer there are also lots of free and cheap options for tweaking that are better than Audacity.
Here are three options that are all better than Audacity for recording music:

Bandlab Cakewalk is a full-featured DAW that is now free: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk?lang=en

There is a very capable free version of Tracktion Waveform: https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

Reaper, while not free (only $60), can be used in trial mode until you pay for it: https://www.reaper.fm/

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-20-2021, 01:46 PM

Record to your DR-5 and if you want to edit your recordings, buy an inexpensive cable that will connect it to your computer and download a free audio editing app.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Reaper, while not free (only $60), can be used in trial mode until you pay for it: https://www.reaper.fm/
I'm a Reaper user. It should be noted that Reaper can deal directly with many formats of video files so long as you don't need major amounts of processing (da Vinci Resolve for that) so if you do choose to record audio/video on the same device (like the iPhone 6s) you can significantly streamline the kit and process.

While I'm a keen iPad user I'm generally a Windows/Android user so am not fully conversant with the current options but it's pretty straightforward to hook up either an interface or a decent lavalier mic to the iPhone and do it all in one.
Old 12-25-2021, 04:13 PM

Well first of all, Merry Christmas!

More than five months after my last entry to this post I have gone ahead and tried a little recording. I did buy a Behringer UM2 audio interface and I've downloaded and installed both Audacity and Ocenaudio and will at some point try those other free DAWs mentioned.

I still have my SM58 but I no longer have my XLR cord (I left it at a band tryout and was too embarrassed to call to get it back.) I will be ordering a balanced XLR microphone cable. Should I get the 20 or the 22-gauge series? I was also looking at an interconnect balanced XLR cable but it's only 26-gauge and that worries me a little as it seems so thin ... but it's just for my modest setup and will never leave the room, let alone my home ... so do you think that would suffice?

The DR-05 experiment just wasn't what I wanted but I do have the UM2. I got it to working with one of my electric guitars but until I get the XLR cable of course I can't test the SM58. I know it's not the best to capture the subtle nuances of an acoustic guitar, and although I flat-pick I'm not a loud strummer or player, but it may serve my needs.

If not I will look for some kind of low-cost mic that may better suit what I'm trying to accomplish, perhaps a SM57 but more likely a condenser microphone. If anybody has any suggestions for a condenser mic please let me know. I won't be using this very often at all so I really want to find something in the $100-$120 range if possible.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-25-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Well first of all, Merry Christmas!

More than five months after my last entry to this post I have gone ahead and tried a little recording. I did buy a Behringer UM2 audio interface and I've downloaded and installed both Audacity and Ocenaudio and will at some point try those other free DAWs mentioned.

I still have my SM58 but I no longer have my XLR cord (I left it at a band tryout and was too embarrassed to call to get it back.) I will be ordering a balanced XLR microphone cable. Should I get the 20 or the 22-gauge series? I was also looking at an interconnect balanced XLR cable but it's only 26-gauge and that worries me a little as it seems so thin ... but it's just for my modest setup and will never leave the room, let alone my home ... so do you think that would suffice?

The DR-05 experiment just wasn't what I wanted but I do have the UM2. I got it to working with one of my electric guitars but until I get the XLR cable of course I can't test the SM58. I know it's not the best to capture the subtle nuances of an acoustic guitar, and although I flat-pick I'm not a loud strummer or player, but it may serve my needs.

If not I will look for some kind of low-cost mic that may better suit what I'm trying to accomplish, perhaps a SM57 but more likely a condenser microphone. If anybody has any suggestions for a condenser mic please let me know. I won't be using this very often at all so I really want to find something in the $100-$120 range if possible.
Go all Behringer and get a "matched pair" of C2 condenser mics:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...crophones-pair

You can sell one of them and have the other for almost nothing.

Buy a simple Pro Co XLR mic cable from Sweetwater. You could spend $5 less and get a trash value bargain basement cable if you really need to save the $5.

If you're recording an acoustic guitar use the DR-05 (...at 24 bit depth!) and transfer the files to your computer to edit. It's going to be about 10 times better sound quality than your old SM-57. If you're dissatisfied with your recordings it probably has a lot more to do with your mic positioning and/or room treatment.

It's your money, though.

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-25-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Go all Behringer and get a "matched pair" of C2 condenser mics:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...crophones-pair

You can sell one of them and have the other for almost nothing.

Buy a simple Pro Co XLR mic cable from Sweetwater. You could spend $5 less and get a trash value bargain basement cable if you really need to save the $5.

If you're recording an acoustic guitar use the DR-05 (...at 24 bit depth!) and transfer the files to your computer to edit. It's going to be about 10 times better sound quality than your old SM-57. If you're dissatisfied with your recordings it probably has a lot more to do with your mic positioning and/or room treatment.

It's your money, though.
The Pro Co would be fine. I think I will order from Monoprice as I have never had a problem (well, one) with any of its products and I know its cables are getting good reviews. If not, then a Pro Co is my second favorite, one with a 20-gauge construction. (The Monoprice's is 16 gauge, btw.)
I just don't like using the DR-05. Tiny buttons, tiny writing and I will have to relearn how to use it. I have used it to record band tryouts and I was never happy with the results; everything had to be tweaked.
As for the two mics, I don't sell anything locally as it is just too much hassle and potentially dangerous where I live.
Also I don't have a SM57 ... I have a SM58. Actually for my purposes a SM57 would be better to record an acoustic guitar as the SM58 is more associated with recording vocals.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-25-2021, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Pro Co would be fine. I think I will order from Monoprice as I have never had a problem (well, one) with any of its products and I know its cables are getting good reviews. If not, then a Pro Co is my second favorite, one with a 20-gauge construction. (The Monoprice's is 16 gauge, btw.)
You seem to be hung up on cable gauge. Just to give this some perspective, Mogami W2549 is pretty well up there when it comes to quality audio cable and it's only 22 gauge. You're not wiring a house. Finding the thickest cable isn't necessary.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-25-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
You seem to be hung up on cable gauge. Just to give this some perspective, Mogami W2549 is pretty well up there when it comes to quality audio cable and it's only 22 gauge. You're not wiring a house. Finding the thickest cable isn't necessary.
I agree ... but all things being equal I'd generally prefer a cable ...instrument, XLR, speaker, whatever ... with a thicker construction than one with a thinner construction. I just mentioned the Monoprice cable is 16 gauge; the company offers a cheaper version with 24 gauge. But ProCo is a good company; after all it made the famous Rat series of distortion pedals.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD