The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-26-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
….we’re expecting record heat in Oregon this weekend….triple digits at the coast!!….what????…we don’t like it…
Same up here. It hit 100 in my backyard right in Vancouver. On the coast. Crazy. I do not like it one bit. Less than 20% of residences here have AC, because normally we do not need it. Sweat is running down my back as I type. Bleeech.

Records are falling all over the place. It is NOT good for our wildfire risks. I pray we do not have a repeat of 2017. No significant moisture in the foreseeable future.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 06-27-2021, 08:49 AM

It was 27c or 80F at 7 am this morning in the Fraser Valley. New records for high temperatures are forecast to be set today and tomorrow. Me no like!

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 06-27-2021, 10:25 AM
Guest 928

110 on my front porch at mid-day. Great time for a siesta. Mornings and evenings are delightful. And my carbon fiber guitars hang in just fine.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:34 AM

It was 80 F on my outdoor thermometer when I got up at 7:30 here in Seattle as well. Even more worrying is that the predicted high for yesterday was 95F, but the actual high at the NOAA station just a few miles away was 102. The predicted highs for today are 100 and they upgraded tomorrow to 108, which will be an all time record. We have about the same air conditioner saturation as Vancouver does.

Even more worrying, it is still June, and our normal times for heat waves come in July and August.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
….we’re expecting record heat in Oregon this weekend….triple digits at the coast!!….what????…we don’t like it…
Yep, record heat in the PDX area. It was 107 at my home, yesterday. Today (Sunday) is expected to be 112 and Monday is 114. These we’ll be the highest temperatures will be the highest ever recorded here over the last 100+ years.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-27-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
It was 80 F on my outdoor thermometer when I got up at 7:30 here in Seattle as well. Even more worrying is that the predicted high for yesterday was 95F, but the actual high at the NOAA station just a few miles away was 102. The predicted highs for today are 100 and they upgraded tomorrow to 108, which will be an all time record. We have about the same air conditioner saturation as Vancouver does.

Even more worrying, it is still June, and our normal times for heat waves come in July and August.
Yes, this is very worrying. We have already passed 200 wildfires this year. No really big ones, but that could be just a matter of time. I really really hope that as people get out more (as restrictions ease) that they be careful. A huge number of fires are still human caused.

I was driving through Manning Park in 2017 (the year of record wildfires) and some idiot threw a cigarette out their car window. I was behind them. I stopped to make sure the bleeping thing was really out. A good thing my death stare does not actually work.

Man, I really do not like this at all.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 06-27-2021, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

I lived in the Puget Sound area (on and off, but mostly on) from '76 through '92. NOBODY in that area had AC, and frankly didn't need it. I remember some hot days, but never hot enough to really suffer from the lack of AC. We've been back to visit a number of times since we left and we've been back twice when there were heat waves less severe than what's happening now, but temps over 100. We were staying in a hotel downtown that DID have AC, but a lot of our friends in the area didn't. We'd go visit them and it was so hot, we'd immediately invite them back to our hotel, and they were always happy to take us up on it.

I'm sure more folks in the PNW have AC now than used to, but I'd guess a whole lot of folks still don't. Heat like this without it is really dangerous. I worry for folks in that area. Our daughter and Son In Law live down in Eugene, where it's supposed to be over 119 today. They don't have AC, but I believe they have access to it nearby. I'm worried about them, but we're hearing from them they're doing OK.

My best to those of you stuck in crazy hot locales in the midst of this. That kind of heat is scary stuff. I grew up in the AZ desert and even there, it would frequently be above 100, but it was rarely over 105, and when it was, we KNEW it. Now it's regularly well over 110. This is not a long-term survivable trend.

-Ray
Old 06-27-2021, 09:54 PM

Canada's all time heat record fell today. Lytton is a small town about three hours east from Vancouver off the Trans Canada Hwy 1. It's in a beautiful deserty spot surrounded by mountains and over looks the confluence of the Mighty Fraser River and Thompson River. It hit 46.6c today smashing the old Canadian record of 45c

https://globalnews.ca/news/7984731/b...rds-heat-wave/

While long hot summers aren't uncommon in the Vancouver area this heat wave is. Last I looked it was 38c which is 100 Fahrenheit.?...thats nuts for here...and tommorow will be just as hot. Looking forward to a break of under 30 for a while weather before summer really kicks in and forest fire season happens

Last edited by Fireside_Guitar; 06-28-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

We finally had some cooling the last 3 days and two evenings of short 20- 30 minutes of light rain, but forecast is it may get hotter again starting Tuesday.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-28-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazervalley View Post
It was 27c or 80F at 7 am this morning in the Fraser Valley. New records for high temperatures are forecast to be set today and tomorrow. Me no like!
i'm just south of you in Bellingham.I would guess it will reach over !00 F(38C) today.

To me what is unusual is the extra number of days these heat waves last.

I am really concerned that once it cools all the bozos around here will be camping and lighting fires.....a precarious situation in view of the added drought.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
It got all the way up to 85 degrees yesterday up here in the High Rockies, had to turn the ceiling fan on!

But it cooled down in the evening.
An hour and a half south of Ken, we hit 62 ... fresh snow on the mountain tops this morning. Three fires the last three mornings.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-28-2021, 01:25 PM

109⁰ F here in the SE Portland burbs, Monday at Noon. Not even the hottest part of the day yet. By 4PM expecting 114⁰ F.

This is crazy!

Thankfully, I have AC in my current house, which was built in 2005. My last one didn't and a lot of people here don't. Basically, anything built before the mid '70's has a good chance of not having AC. That's a lot of houses!

Stay cool everyone, take it easy and drink plenty of fluids. Good day to kick back and play some acoustic.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:36 PM

Here we go again. Going to be a whole bunch of heat records smashed again today.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

…WOOHOO!!!!!…..after hitting 115 in the shade at our house today the winds finally shifted and the temperature dropped 22 degrees in the last two hours….

…I went to Salem earlier and it hit 117 at about 2 PM….thank God we’ve made it through the record breaking heat….the high of 95 forecast for tomorrow should be a walk in the park….
Old 06-29-2021, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

One constant, the weather always changes---> glad you guys are getting some relief----adverse weather is not fun.

It's the inverse situation to ours during February snow-mageddon ...southerners can handle heat; 99.9% of houses have a/c, we dress accordingly, and go on with life.
Below freezing our homes and folks can't handle.

So, like the puzzled replies from folks in the colder climes I got in February complaining about a week of sub-freezing, pipes bursting, no running water, we likewise shake our heads at those that can't bear the unusual (to you) heat. Buy an a/c window unit, take off your coat and throw it in the corner, sit under a tree in the shade, jump in a river/lake/pool, drink lots of water and cold drinks.

Yeah, the problems are real. Makes me wonder how people survived before heat and a/c.

Last edited by catndahats; 06-29-2021 at 08:46 AM. Reason: can't spell

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic