The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2005, 02:52 PM

Default 1 11/16 vs. 1 3/4?

For your fingerstylists out there. Do you prefer the wider neck or does it really make that much of a difference?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

It does to me. I have tried to adapt to the 1 & 3/4" because it has become increasingly harder to find the 1&11/16" nut on many models. I had to special order it on both my Miclroy and a Goodall. I am just more comfortable with the smaller nut size. I have resigned myself to this and have given up trying to adapt. In fact I have a beautiful and brand new Lakewood M-32 up for sale because it has a 1&3/4' nut that just doesn't work for me. I am probably the odd ball in this regard because everyone I know prefers the larger nut size.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 02-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

For me, it's mostly what I'm playing that defines it. I'm fine with 1-11/16" on my electric, but I prefer 1-3/4" on an acoustic. So much so that I'm selling a wonderful SCGC D/PW because of the 1-11/16" nut... otherwise, it would be staying for sure.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 02-24-2005, 03:23 PM

hold da' phone - Wade - you are selling your D/PW? you just got it... shock and dismay...

Back to the original question - it makes a difference but I'm with Wade on this one. 11/16th is plenty of room on my strat but I like bit more room at the nut but even more importantly I like a bit more room at the bridge. I can adapt with my fretting hand pretty easily but the extra room on my picking hand really helps with speed, accuracy, attack and execution.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
For me, it's mostly what I'm playing that defines it. I'm fine with 1-11/16" on my electric, but I prefer 1-3/4" on an acoustic. So much so that I'm selling a wonderful SCGC D/PW because of the 1-11/16" nut... otherwise, it would be staying for sure.

I'm with you on this one. I don't mind the 1-11/16 on an electric at all, but I really want a wider neck on my acoustics.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:32 PM

it really does make all the difference in the world for me
Old 02-24-2005, 04:10 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleT123
it really does make all the difference in the world for me
Me to. Much easier to navagate the FB.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-24-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Any size will do

I'm not a very sophisticated fingerstylist, so I know that effects my perspective. I do finger pick a few songs, but mostly I strum.

I'm comfortable on any neck. I will play certain guitars for certain styles, but mostly any neck will do. A different neck may change my approach but doesn't really change my opinion of a guitar.

I'm glad I'm comfortable with different spacings. It keeps playing fresh and I don't have to limit available choices when searching for a guitar.

I always thought that in time, one can get comfortable on almost any size neck.

mjz
Old 02-24-2005, 05:17 PM

I have both sizes and I'm comfortable on both, but somedays one is more comfortable, and other days the other one is. I don't think there's anything I can play on one size that I can't on the other.

Fingerstyle is easier on the wider neck, but in my case I think it's because I don't have to be quite as accurate to get all the strings to ring. When I'm playing those pieces on the smaller neck I have to be a little more careful with my fingering.

On the other hand, for strumming and general Travis picking I really like the smaller neck because I can thumb the 6th string more easily. This has become more important as I get older and my joints complain a bit more.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:21 PM

I just landed my first acoustic with a 1-3/4" fretboard. I have several with the 1-11/16". After playing for a couple of weeks, I find that there is a bit of an adjustment going back and forth, and I have to really be conscious of my technique when going back to the narrower board. I believe this is a good thing - the narrower board sort of keeps me "honest."

That said, the neck profile is every bit as much a factor as the the nut width. My new guitar has a thicker profile (Martin modified V), which also makes it feel quite different.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:47 PM

I'm not much of a finger style player, mostly a pick for chording and single and double line lead stuff. I just am one of those that has to have the wider neck. My feeble fingers on the left hand get in there own way on the skinny boards. 1 3/4 or even better to get to 1 13/16 for me, and the bridge spacing makes a big difference as well. I just traded off a fantastic Collings cause it felt too "tight" for me. The Martin LJ I traded for has the same nut size (technically) but a wider string spacing and it made all the difference in the world.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:54 PM

Default neck/nut sizes

[QUOTE=mjz...I always thought that in time, one can get comfortable on almost any size neck.

mjz[/QUOTE]

True dat.

I hated the tight nut on my new BR-160 when I first started playing but it gets better every day. If I had big fingers it would either take a lot longer but I would probably get used to it eventually.

Goya GG-5
Blueridge BR-160
Blueridge BG-60
Pimental Requinto 1977
Old 02-24-2005, 05:56 PM

I have large hands so I much prefer a wide neck and a beefy profile.

The Taylor necks, even the 1 & 3/4 versions, made my hands cramp up because of the thiness of the neck.

JG
Old 02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

1 3/4".

As soon as I got my Larrivee parlor I didn't want to play 1-11/16" at all any more, and I have sold the 2 I had. Too bad as there seem to be more cheap but decent guitars like this. The 1 3/4"s mostly seem to be mid price and up. I'd like to find a true cheap and fearless beater guitar w/ a 1 3/4" nut and a 24" or so scale.

Last edited by mtnByker; 02-24-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

I prefer the 1 & 3/4 or even a 1 & 13/16 for fingerstyle. 1 & 11/16ths works fine for all electric playing as well as acoustic strumming & flatpicking. I've got pretty big hands though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion