The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 04:13 AM

Default best strings for Godin A6 Ultra

Does anyone have a strong opinion about which strings sound "best" on hybrid guitars (I am new to this genre of guitar and jjust got an A6 ultra). I understand now the "basics" (i.e. need magnetically responsive metal for the humbucker, need the "meat" of acoustic strings to get the acoustic sound). I just put some Zebras on and it sounds like the two biggest strings are a little dead. (But maybe that's part of the compromise?) I also only wrapped like ONE coil around the tuning peg, and I usually do 2-4) I'm having my tech give it a once over today but I have read about "dead string" complaints re Zebras. I've got some veritas coming as well as some real Godin A6 strings and will try them all. I've got my first solo gig tomorrow.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-20-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Profanity
Old 10-07-2019, 05:13 AM

I have a similar hybrid, and use med-heavy electric strings on it. Gauge is 11-47 I think. They are basically the same makeup as Martin monels.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:28 AM

Are the Zebra's round wound? More wraps and no cut to length until installed might fix the dead string problems. When I owned an A6 Ultra I found that the humbucker was fine regardless of the wrap composition and used what sounded best acoustically between gigs.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 AM

Default thank you

this is good to know...I just had my FIRST gig with Zebras and they sounded good. I just put DR Veritas (supposed to be very good for hybrids) and they sound decent but when I slide the humbucker volume up and down on the Godin A6, the difference is not as noticeable as with the Zebras. These DR Veritas's are labeled "acoustic". Maybe I really should stick with Zebras?
Old 08-17-2020, 04:19 PM

What strings did you end up sticking with? I just got the A6 Ultra and am trying to figure out what's best to use. I just put some Zebras on and they sound decent. The low E is kind of dead though. Interested to hear what you decided on.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I gig with an A6 Ultra, and have recently been using DR Veritas. The wrapped stings do ring pleasantly - when they’re new. They tend not to last all that long.

So they are my preferred strings for the moment, but the search continues.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:07 AM

Default A6 strings

I believe I'm using Zebra's and they're decent. Godin recommends their own or D'addario XL nickel wound jazz (with wound g string vs. just wire).

I tried the veritas, which were supposed to be like MAGIC and they weren't very good. My experience was that the "wound" strings are wound with something that doesn't play well magnetically. If I turn the humbucker up, and gently pluck each string, the wound strings are like half the volume of the B and E strings. It's super noticeable. I have NOT tried the D'addarios yet but will soon.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I have a Godin Doyle Dykes model. I really like the D'Addario NB strings.
Fewer overtones which really helps when plugged in.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the info everyone! My low E string is buzzing now. Maybe I'll take these Zebras off and try a different set. What sound is everyone trying to improve? I'm looking to get the best acoustic sound I can.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
I have a Godin Doyle Dykes model. I really like the D'Addario NB strings.
Fewer overtones which really helps when plugged in.
I also have this guitar and use his GHS signature strings on it. Sounds great!
Old 05-11-2022, 05:48 AM

Default Martin Retro

I've only ever used Martin Retro on my A6 Ultra so, while I can't quote comparisons, I am pretty happy with tone and the balance between strings using either pickup. Martin calls them an acoustic string but the wire wrap is Monel, a nickel/copper alloy, which is magnetically active and corrosion resistant to boot.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Are the Zebra's round wound? More wraps and no cut to length until installed might fix the dead string problems. When I owned an A6 Ultra I found that the humbucker was fine regardless of the wrap composition and used what sounded best acoustically between gigs.
They are no more. I used to put them on my Godin Multiac Spectrum, When no dealer appeared to stock them, I inquired as to why and discovered they were out of production.

Straight good 'ol D'Addario nickel wound electric strings work fine on it for both electric and acoustic sounds, as they do on a T5. However, I've been giving GHS White Bronze a whirl and like these. Some people have said they 'die' quite quickly, and in my limited experience of them (just put on a second set), that may be so.

John Pearse also does a set they label as 'electric-acoustic,' but they're nickel wound, and I'm not really sure how they differ from standard electric guitar strings. I've used these many times and they sound pretty good.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:02 PM

I recently got an A6 Ultra and I've been wondering about the string gauge question too. I usually play with 8 gauge strings, but they sound thin and nasally on the A6 Ultra. I like this guitar a lot, so I thought it was worth spending some time recording the same riffs with a few different string gauges (8s, 9s, and 10s) and seeing which ones I liked the best. I uploaded the recordings to youtube, if anyone's interested:

My verdict: it's close, but I think the 10-gauge strings sound slightly better through the piezo pickup, while the 9-gauge strings sound slightly better through the humbucker. The 10s sound a tiny bit better with both pickups on, but tbh it's a toss-up there. I'm probably going to leave the 10s on there for now since I tend to emphasize the piezo more than the humbucker. (I saw that Stringjoy makes some 9.5 gauge strings, so I might try those out next...)
Old 02-09-2023, 08:50 PM

Default Strings I use on my Godin A6 Ultra

Bought my 2011 Godin A6 Ultra a month or so ago...here is my opinion on what strings to use...based on personal opinion. First of all I have enjoyed getting to work on the various tone options. In addition I plan on using my Ultra primarily as an acoustic and secondarily as a electric option...

I play it through a Helix LT and using the "Jazz Rivet 120" which models amp Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus I'm able to dial it in nicely.

So what strings do I use...I decided on acoustic v electric strings.....Im using DR Veritas 11 gauge. It came with Martins installed; .13.....found they sounded right but did not like how they played. Decided to check out the Veritas upon a recommendation...figure the 13s might be more acoustic and they were, but preferred a light string and tried the 12s...was able to get the sound by mixing in more of the Humbucker for the bottom end, then decided to go to the 11s and was able to get the tone I want.....Like the 11s more for playability to make it more like a electric guitar.....so Veritas 11s
Old 02-09-2023, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

D'Addario Nickel Bronze are the best strings I've ever had on my A6. They sound more 'acoustic' than the normal nickel electric strings that come on it, but they work with the humbucker unlike acoustic strings. I use the 12's since the A6 comes set up for 12's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
godin, hybrid, strings