The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Default Best built-in pickups (for acoustic guitar)?

I've never been fond of acoustic guitar pickups - but I'm playing live and also record a little. My Taylor's ES2 (which is a piezo pickup) didn't sound as bad as I was expecting. I'm looking for another guitar to leave in the studio 24/7 - and was curious to get feedback on what guitars for, say, under $1500 have decent sounding built-in pickups. For now, I don't want to consider adding a pickup myself. And, I'm open to good sounding piezo pickups.

Cheers!

Silver Mica

Last edited by silver mica; 10-21-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:27 AM

If you're talking a factory system, I think Takamine probably makes the best, but I've heard great things about Cole Clark and the D-TAR system Guild was using.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 AM

I think a Maton could be picked up in that price range used and would have a superior pickup system.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

* From many years and gear as a full-time musician, I prefer and currently use an upper-end MIJ Takamine with the Palathetic pickup combined with their on-board, interchangeable CT4BII and CTP-1 Cooltube preamps for straight in plug n play. The only other system that I also prefer that rivals it is the now discontinued F1 Aura Plus system I have in my Martin 000-18e Retro.

** The Matrix VT Enhance, Taylor ES2, Baggs Anthem, which can and do all sound nice, but they can't touch the F1 Aura Plus and Palathetic systems imo and experience with all of them thru my rig and playing my style...ymmv but Tak & F1 are in a class all their own.

*** Too bad the F1AP is discontinued, I'm gassin' for an OM28e Retro with one...there are a few around and I may find one at the right price down the road. For price tho, it's hard to beat a Pro Series 3 MIJ Tak for $1,200. My advice, try out a MIJ Tak, excellent craftsmanship and tone, especially the Pro 3 series both unplugged and amplified.

eric
Old 10-22-2018, 01:00 PM

I agree the Takamines come with great pickups. Another guitar in your price range is a Yamaha AC5R. MAP is $1,400 and for that you get an all solid guitar with a baked top, wood binding and a very, very nice pick up that gives you the option of blending their UST with two mic models.

Just a really nice guitar.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 10-22-2018, 01:38 PM

I've heard that the dual pickups on the Epiphone DR500s were excellent.
Also the Yamaha A3 or 5 series.

Also, installing an after market pickup on a guitar isn't a huge deal and should be part of your consideration.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

I use K&K but realize a lot of people don't care for them. The Baggs Anthem dual source would be my choice if I wanted all the hardware inside the guitar.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver mica View Post
I'm looking for another guitar to leave in the studio 24/7 - and was curious to get feedback on what guitars for, say, under $1500 have decent sounding built-in pickups.
So you want guitar with a pickup to use in the studio? There are lots of good pickups out there for live use. For recording, the cheapest possible mic will beat the best pickup hands down. I'd skip the pickup for recording, If it was me, I' look for a good all around guitar that sounds good when mic'd.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
So you want guitar with a pickup to use in the studio? There are lots of good pickups out there for live use. For recording, the cheapest possible mic will beat the best pickup hands down. I'd skip the pickup for recording, If it was me, I' look for a good all around guitar that sounds good when mic'd.
Ditto on Doug's comment. A $100 Shure SM-57 or 58 will dust any pickup out there. I believe those mics are mainly for live performance, but of course Shure has a huge lineup for all recording situations. Also, great stuff out there from AGF, Sennheiser, Neumann (sp?), Audio Technica, etc.

You might also post this question in the Acoustic Amplification section. A lot of very experienced folks over there.

scott memmer
Old 10-22-2018, 03:42 PM

The Yamaha A series will not disappoint
The 3 series models should fit right in your budget. All solid, scalloped bracing, torrefied top, cutaway, and a choice of a dread or OM size and RW or hog b/s.

I have had experience with the LR baggs anthem, the ES2 and I have to say the yamaha srt system is quite better plugged in.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:45 PM

Yamaha A5 record wonderfully.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:49 PM

Ditto on using a mic in the studio. I've only played a handful of times in the studio and the first thing they told me is to get comfortable so they could place the mic, that nobody would be plugged in. I already knew that but they told me anyway.

For live play in our Praise Band at church I use a Takamine. The sound is good but much better with a mic.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 10-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Doug…

Amen to that!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-22-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
My sentiments exactly when I read the word "studio". That's not the place for a built-in pickup, or anything other than a high quality mic.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-22-2018, 04:25 PM

You can save yourself a lot of 'coin' by plugging your Taylor into a mic modelling foot pedal. You'll also have the added bonus of a tuner, a DI and other useful 'goodies' for live use. I won't vouch for the accuracy of the 'modelling', but the sound is significantly better than raw piezo.

Yamaha, Zoom, BOSS and Fishman have all put their modelling technology into stomp boxes.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

Last edited by Sonics; 10-22-2018 at 11:59 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic pickup, pickup, pickups