The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
Has this problem made anyone consider Carbon Fiber? It seems like a pain to be constantly monitoring humidity...

or conversely, does Carbon Fiber really sound that bad that it's not even an option? The few I've heard have an eerily haunting tone that I personally find appealing, that combined with the durability makes CF mighty alluring.

The price on the other hand...
Disclaimer: Carbon fiber guitars I have seen are WAY out of my budget range. With that said, one of the things I like about nice instruments is the aesthetics. Mahogany, rosewood, walnut, spruce, cedar are beautiful to look at as well as sounding good. CF may be functional in some ways but aesthetically appealing? Just my .02 worth.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-01-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Disclaimer: Carbon fiber guitars I have seen are WAY out of my budget range. With that said, one of the things I like about nice instruments is the aesthetics. Mahogany, rosewood, walnut, spruce, cedar are beautiful to look at as well as sounding good. CF may be functional in some ways but aesthetically appealing? Just my .02 worth.
100% agree on the price, I haven't seen one under 1,200, even used... far past my personal price range currently. And with my left handedness factored in, CF looks like it'll only bee a dream for quite some time to come.

About the aesthetic though, there's something is really cool about the modern implementation of the age old box with wire design. I like the marriage of old and new a lot, and in this day and age where exotic wood is becoming harder and harder to come by, Carbon Fiber sounds better and better.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
100% agree on the price, I haven't seen one under 1,200, even used... far past my personal price range currently. And with my left handedness factored in, CF looks like it'll only bee a dream for quite some time to come.

About the aesthetic though, there's something is really cool about the modern implementation of the age old box with wire design. I like the marriage of old and new a lot, and in this day and age where exotic wood is becoming harder and harder to come by, Carbon Fiber sounds better and better.
That last thought is what has me looking closer at used. The Martin SWOMGT is spruce over cherry. The Gibson J-15 is spruce over walnut. No exotic woods. Mostly North American sourced.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-01-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaume View Post
I live in FL. I monitor the humidity in the house, it generally ranges from 40-55% when the AC is running and that's most of the time. What the weather man calls a cool "dry" day is highs in the 60's with 50% humidity.

I've given up even worrying about the guitars and the humidity levels and just enjoy them for what they are during the time God gives me to enjoy them.
Well, sure, but you've got nothing to worry about. On the other hand, the humidity in my house in Denver yesterday (no heat on, windows open) was 20 percent. So we can't necessarily be as carefree here.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
Guitars are not sponges, they don't suck up water. I think the idea is to stop them from drying not moisturizing them.
Guitars aren't sponge per se, but they absolutely absorb moisture and can be adversely affected by high humidity. A lot of of issues will naturally reverse themselves with proper humidification, but certainly not all -- I don't think this fretboard in photo 3 is going to re-glue itself: http://c3.zzounds.com/media/wet_guit...3c4f32c71b.pdf

Low humidity seems worse, but it's also much more commonly warned about, hence all of the case humidifiers. Seems to be little information about when a 'wet' guitar goes from temporarily losing tone to glue joints failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaume View Post
I live in FL. I monitor the humidity in the house, it generally ranges from 40-55% when the AC is running and that's most of the time. What the weather man calls a cool "dry" day is highs in the 60's with 50% humidity.

I've given up even worrying about the guitars and the humidity levels and just enjoy them for what they are during the time God gives me to enjoy them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Well, sure, but you've got nothing to worry about. On the other hand, the humidity in my house in Denver yesterday (no heat on, windows open) was 20 percent. So we can't necessarily be as carefree here.
Nothing to worry about if AC is running; others live in high humidity (or low humidity) and just choose not to worry about it. Some guitars survive fine in, others don't.

High humidity can be equally tricky. The advice of some that 'your guitar is comfortable if you're comfortable' doesn't seem accurate on either end. If outside temps are comfortable and outside RH is 60-90%+ for several weeks, it can feel great and make you inclined to turn off AC and keep windows open a lot. Not great for guitar without dehumidification.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:04 PM

Thanks Warren I agree high humidity bad!! My reference, as badly as I put it, was in regards to the OP having to wet the "in case" humidifier sponge 3 times. I was suggesting something in the case was absorbing the water and possibly damaging the finish.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 11-02-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
Thanks Warren I agree high humidity bad!! My reference, as badly as I put it, was in regards to the OP having to wet the "in case" humidifier sponge 3 times. I was suggesting something in the case was absorbing the water and possibly damaging the finish.
I gotcha now, obviously the reason high humidity is bad is because guitars absorb water. Cases absorb more water than guitars. Hard to say what was going on even if there were big swings of humidity during that time. In the Taylor 'wet' guitar PDF, a particular very wet guitar held an extra 1.3oz of water. Seems like there would be obvious moisture on guitar from what OP is describing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidifier, humidity, nitrocellulose lacquer, water