The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-25-2015, 02:24 PM

Default Wes Lambe Guitars - Custom Guitar Build!

Hi all!

I wanted to create a thread to show support for a custom instrument builder in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I had seen some of his instruments on the Soundpure website, and one of his models in particular caught my ear: his Jumbo 000. It sounded amazing to me. I had an idea for my dream guitar with a sunburst like the Collings, but in Brazilian Rosewood and Adirondack Spruce (like the Jumbo 000 of his that I had heard). I also had some other particulars - nut width, neck shape, etc. So I called him to place an order!

Just over a year later (and many calls and emails - during which Wes was always kind, considerate, and positive / reassuring), I have my dream guitar! It turned out even better than I expected! Here's a glimpse... Will try and post more pictures...

http://instagram.com/p/4RvbGtLX-H/

Anyway, I am very grateful to Wes. He is a true craftsman who is building some incredible instruments (acoustic and electric guitars, violins - acoustic and electric, mandolins...). If you can think it, he can make it!

I had always thought that I would NEVER get an acoustic guitar custom built, because what if I didn't like the way it sounded!! But jeez! Wes built THE EXACT GUITAR I WANTED - it looks, plays and sounds fantastic. If you're curious, check out Wes Lambe: www.wlguitars.com

I am planning to put together a little page about the build - with pictures from beginning to end - but haven't had time with family / summer activities. Plus, every free moment I get is spent strumming or staring at it in the open case with my mouth open.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Wes is an outstanding builder. I've had the opportunity to visit his shop and discuss guitars with him at some length. Hopefully, in the not-too-distant future, more of that information will be shared publicly. In the meantime, suffice it to say that Wes is someone who a lot of people are starting to pay attention to and his instruments, both acoustic and electric, are pretty special. He's also a very nice, low-key guy. Nice to see him get some recognition here on AGF.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:29 PM

I've played a couple of his over the years and they've been exceptional guitars. He's definitely under the radar.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:30 PM

Default How to spread the word about a luthier?

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how / where to spread the word about Wes Lambe Guitars.

I am only related to Wes as a client, but I would like to see him achieve more recognition for his work.

How do custom builders build a following?

As Bob mentioned, Wes is already making a name for himself... Just wondering if there is anything else I could do for him as a satisfied client.

Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how / where to spread the word about Wes Lambe Guitars.

I am only related to Wes as a client, but I would like to see him achieve more recognition for his work.

How do custom builders build a following?

As Bob mentioned, Wes is already making a name for himself... Just wondering if there is anything else I could do for him as a satisfied client.

Thanks!!
You could suggest to him that he might become a sponsor of the AGF, and that he could put up a build thread on his next custom guitar.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:00 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

My sister lives in CH and peripherally knows Wes--she's lived there for over thirty years, and it's a small town, especially when it comes to music. Maybe I'll jet over there next time I'm there and meet him.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:06 AM

Thanks Murrmac,

Will mention AGF sponsorship to Wes.

I collected photos from the build and would love to share them.

And Matthew! Great idea! His shop is in a convenient location. One of the reasons I chose Wes to build a guitar for me was because I liked the idea of playing a guitar by a builder here in the Carolinas. I live in Charlotte. If anyone out there on the AGF happens to be nearby Charlotte too, you are welcome to come and check it out!

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Chili Palmer; 06-28-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:45 AM

Default Photos!!

Here is a link to some photos of the guitar in progress:

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/ccas...bile%20Uploads

Built by Wes Lambe in Chapel Hill
Inlay by Colin Vance in Eureka, CA

It is Wes' Jumbo 000 which is great for strumming and fingerstyle. The inlay was done by inlay artist Colin Vance in Eureka, CA. The head plate design features a 60-100 million year old ammonite fossil. Ebony fingerboard has an original honeysuckle torch design that Colin came up with. Top is adirondack spruce with AA Brazilian rosewood back and sides and asymmetrical sapwood figure at the backstrip. Honduran mahogany neck.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:14 PM

Default Audio Sample

Here is a sample:

https://m.soundcloud.com/melonbelly/...c-instrumental

Both parts played on the Wes Lambe Jumbo 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
acoustic, builder, custom, guitar, luthier