The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-12-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Marcus just emailed me...he is shattered
HAHA Josh is feeding the flame...

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-12-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Marcus????
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
Am I seeing things? I hope I'm seeing things.
I didn't mean to scare you guys!!! My guitar is PERFECTLY fine, in even better condition than I had expected! I expected some micro scratches but...ZILCH. Absolutely perfect condition.

As some of you might know, Joel has been pranking me on occasions:

1) Telling me that my Tree set was too small but simply flipped the set 180 degrees saying "I have some bad news, it looks like the back is just a bit narrow for my OM-R templates.... don't worry I will add 'wings' on to the lower bout and all will be fine " which gave me a panic attack

2) "Dropping" my guitar

3) Sending me on a wild goose chase tracking a different guitar

So........ I had this little surprise planned for him It is photo-shopped on so no worries and it was all good fun. When I passed the news on to Joel, he was stunned for a good long while before he realised that it was possibly a revenge! we both a great laugh. That should teach the bugger that he isn't the only prankster around here he is currently out for a late night bike ride to calm his nerves from that scare

I shall be posting my initial impression soon! It is quite long as I have A LOT to say about it so I shall find the time to do so! Meanwhile I will leave you guys with some photos as compensation. These were included in my "goodies" which Joel had surprised me with! A souvenir - Piece of spruce with a printing of my headstock - and my scratch plates in Wenge, Redwood and Spruce! Among these, he had also included 2 straps for my Karura Case to double as either a side sling or back pack, and also a guitar polish to keep my precious clean and shiny! Gotta love that dude.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 12:02 AM

Ha! Oh man. My heart sank for you!

You, sir, are good.

The print is awesome. I wonder if that's laser?
Old 06-13-2015, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Marcus, you're an evil, evil man.

How does it sound?

Also, what's up with the frets? They're all crooked. You should get a refund.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 06-13-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:58 AM

Congrats on your new guitar Marcus!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 06-13-2015, 12:59 AM

I think I officially may never talk to you again!####
Old 06-13-2015, 04:42 AM

Oh….. the prankster got pranked!! Nice work Marcus! I should have followed through with my plan to tell Joel that he had somehow missed the fact that I'm left-handed….

Congratulations on finally having that beauty in your hands. I'm so glad it made it safely. Looking forward to your thoughts after some music has been made.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:34 AM

That is so funny. I got to know Joel a little in Memphis and I would have loved to have seen his face!
Old 06-13-2015, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Marcus, that is one beautiful guitar! How do you like the Lucky Strike top?
Old 06-13-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
Ha! Oh man. My heart sank for you!

You, sir, are good.

The print is awesome. I wonder if that's laser?
Haha! Thanks It is just a printing... I am not sure how Joel did it. But I am pretty sure those who did arts would know, probably just transferring ink from paper to wood via a medium. Joel's name cards are done similarly (yes, his name cards are wood!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Marcus, you're an evil, evil man.

How does it sound?

Also, what's up with the frets? They're all crooked. You should get a refund.
Hey now, Joel deserved every bit of it!

UGH it sounds even worse than the frets are crooked! A review shall be coming up soon! I haven't had much time away from the guitar today; excluding the time I went for my lunch and dinner which I am surprised I even went for, I have held my guitar for about 12 hours already and am going back to it soon after this posting session!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftz07 View Post
Congrats on your new guitar Marcus!
Thank you!! You must be pretty happy with your latest ones too

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I think I officially may never talk to you again!####
Tom! I didn't mean to cheat your feelings! Blame Josh! It was his idea

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
Oh….. the prankster got pranked!! Nice work Marcus! I should have followed through with my plan to tell Joel that he had somehow missed the fact that I'm left-handed….

Congratulations on finally having that beauty in your hands. I'm so glad it made it safely. Looking forward to your thoughts after some music has been made.
I believe my prank made up for yours too eh?

Thanks! I hope you are enjoying yours; would love to hear more about it. All I can tell you is that, if you love it now.... you're not going to believe how much more so when it opens up. I will say more in my review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Guidry View Post
That is so funny. I got to know Joel a little in Memphis and I would have loved to have seen his face!
I would have too! I can only imagine... Joel is real great fun to have around.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
Marcus, that is one beautiful guitar! How do you like the Lucky Strike top?
Thanks buddy! You should see it in person... Doesn't belong in my hands, but in a museum! Hmmm.... It is a tough question to answer because I do not have one of Joel's OM-R with a spruce/cedar top to compare it to however I will tell you what I think and you can take it with a pinch of salt.

I was expecting a mellow guitar as I have read that it is something like a cross between cedar and spruce, mainly warm like cedar with the headroom and some brightness of spruce. However, the Lucky Tree surprised me in that it was BRIGHT. It is as sprucey as spruce can get, but I believe it will mellow down as most guitars do after they get played in. And that is not a bad surprise, I am a fan of brighter sounding instruments (not to mistaken with harsh) and I chose Lucky Strike for very superficial reasons, mainly being that I wanted a really rare guitar but fortunately, it has turned out to be what I actually wanted! Talk about win win!

I told Joel my thoughts and asked him which properties can be attributed to the LS, and he said that LS is like a spruce on steroids and the bigger bass I hear is also partly due to it. Though I am sure the body size and longer bass string has more to do with that! I am not the best person to ask about LS, many here are more qualified I tried...

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for your input. I think I will explore using LS with Michael Bashkin when I am ready to start my next build. It will be awhile though.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Default Review Part 1 - Aesthetics

Hi guys, sincerest apologies for the lack of an update. I have been extremely preoccupied with the Lucky Tree the whole day and am itching to get back to it! The things I do for you people

Let's talk about the aesthetics first of all. If you think that it looks good in pictures... You should ask the people who had the opportunity to view it in person... can I say WOW????? I expected the finish to show wear or micro-scratches from the festival but it came looking beyond pristine... The Lucky Strike grain is so incredibly tight and the silking is very present. What surprised me most was the fretboard inlays, they have a very pleasant colour and visual texture to them. The headstock really stands out and the tuners look ever so classy! The bevel, the scoop, the fan fret, fret wire, glow in the dark fret markers....EVERYTHING.

Only thing that I'm "not" happy about is that the Tree colour was darker than I had hoped. I was expecting a golden Koa look but I do not know why I was expecting that! Hahaha still unbelievably unreal nonetheless. I still can't believe I have been playing this for the past 15 hours... It definitely looks like it belongs in a museum and not here. I am beyond privileged to have such a beautiful guitar, shout out to Joel for his outstanding design sense.

Photos will come eventually, please be patient! Meanwhile, more of the case Anyone wanting to steal my guitar will have to get through him first! He might be fake, but he can still trip you!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
joel michaud, lucky strike, micahud made, ngd, the tree