The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Not sure that I agree at all. The corner of the bridge we can almost see right under and through to the other side! Taylor may not glue right up to the corner/edge as stated but this bridge is def lifting. Keep in mind that the treble side is not lifting,any added belly would in theory affect both ends of the bridge, which judging by the pics does not seem to be the case.
Bob Taylor has many times stated that the belly is normal, he likens it to a 'pitchers mound'. Even with some moderate belly swell, the bridge should not do that.

I would not advise you to 'just leave it be'. Take it to a luthier or a Taylor auth repairer, get a real answer instead of AGF 'answer/guesses'

Dont do nothing, with tension I'd bet that bridge will get worse.

Nice Koa btw.....
Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 AM

Exclamation

Hi guys! Thanks for all replies!
I don´t think It might me an over humidity issue. We´ve been through dry times here in my city...
Nobody asked, but I use Elixir 0.013-0.056 on my guitar and keep it tuned 24/7 inside the hardcase. Maybe I should send it to a luthier for re-gluing and set up for lighter strings... But I am concerned with the finishing of the guitar. If I could I would send it to Taylor´s Factory, but no way to do It from Brazil.

This is the picture somebody asked me.

And also of the current temperature/humidity of my apartment.

Could you guys tell me the Taylor´s e-mail address?

Thanks again!
Diogo
Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 AM

Just a qualifier, it's not that Taylor doesn't glue the far corners, its that they, like many manufacturers, undercut the perimeter of the bridge so it lays over the finish for a cleaner and assembly friendly bridge/body assembly. The undercut varies by manufacturer, but it is something like 1/16 - 3/32 ledge around the perimeter and only a few thousandths of an inch deep.

Judging from your pictures, I cannot from my keyboard rule out internal structural problems, but at a minimum it really appears that your guitar is extremely over humidified. Taylors are built with something like a 65' radius top. This equates to a .046" rise over the 17" width of your guitar. Your picture doesn't show the full width, but from your picture it looks like a .125" rise over 3.5," equating to 4' radius!

My recommendation as a builder, to you is to contact Taylor's warranty department and send it to them. Tune the strings down and leave it in its case. Get it to them to evaluate. The 61%RH you posted doesn't seem like it would be enough to cause that amount of curvature in the top, but who knows -- it's wood. Wood will do anything.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
While I generally agree with you...I think it's a bit presumptuous to conclude its a quality/workmanship problem.

What if the OP kept the guitar in the trunk of his guitar for a 3-day road trip along the coast and the glue softened?

What if he lives on the coast and the humidity is 90% all the time and the top bulged causing the separation?

I'd say that's outside the normal expectations of how a guitar should be treated.

Of course,it's entirely possible this had an issue from the factory. Maybe we'll learn more and be able to decide.

Regardless, it's something that can be repaired easily enough.
That could be true but this doesn't sound like a guy who abuses his guitar. I think the buyer should have a reasonable expectation that a high-end guitar like that should be assembled in a way that it doesn't start shelling out the first time it's taken out of the museum. Guitars by their nature are to be hauled around and played, not stored in optimum conditions for display.

This is probably an easy fix but I'm guessing Bob doesn't want to be known as the guy with bridge problems. Seeing this makes a guy wonder if it's just a matter of time before his Taylors do the same thing. The Yamaha Jumbo lasted for 35 years without a problem and you could say it was abused and had virtually no care. Anyway ,sorry for the Dragnet language....that seems to be my writing style.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison314 View Post
That could be true but this doesn't sound like a guy who abuses his guitar. I think the buyer should have a reasonable expectation that a high-end guitar like that should be assembled in a way that it doesn't start shelling out the first time it's taken out of the museum. Guitars by their nature are to be hauled around and played, not stored in optimum conditions for display.

This is probably an easy fix but I'm guessing Bob doesn't want to be known as the guy with bridge problems. Seeing this makes a guy wonder if it's just a matter of time before his Taylors do the same thing. The Yamaha Jumbo lasted for 35 years without a problem and you could say it was abused and had virtually no care. Anyway ,sorry for the Dragnet language....that seems to be my writing style.
Many of us have owned Taylors anywhere from a few to many years without this issue, and they are not stored in a museum. He just said they've been going through "dry times," yet the hygrometer reads 61%, which is about the start of the "danger zone" for prolonged exposure to high humidity for guitars. If that's "dry," then I can't imagine the RH this guitar has been exposed to for quite some time, which would explain the pictures above. It doesn't mean he "abused" his guitar, but he just may not have been aware of what was going on.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 AM

Send it to Taylor/authorized rep.

I totally agree with the thought that guitars are supposed to be played, not kept as museum pieces in glass cages. No guitar should have a bridge lifting like that under any sort of normal use/conditions so let the people that made it evaluate/correct it.

Humidity obsession seem to be a modern concern that nobody worried about years ago - we just played guitars. Maybe it's global warming!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 AM

Just for comparison this is my Yamaha CPX900 which stays out of hardcase and I play it a lot! It´s not 100% flat top but not even a sign of bridge lift. And I use the same Elixir 0.013-0.056 on it.

I will try to contact the Brazilian main Rep and see what they could do, once I bought my Taylor from Jim - Guitar Rodeo and bought it with me from the US to Brazil. I don´t know how warranty works in this case, but the guitar is properly registered.

One more picture of the Taylor with the scale:

Old 03-23-2014, 09:06 AM

Based on those comparison pics with your other guitar...the Taylor looks like there is too much arch behind the bridge.

The top of the guitar should NOT be perfectly flat. It should have a slight belly like your Yamaha.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 AM

61% in the apartment is on the high side. Do you also keep a humidifier in the case with the guitar? This looks over humidified to me. As much as I don't really care for them, this is a great spot to try a Planet Waves Humidipack, as they can both humidify or de-humidify a guitar for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-H.../dp/B000OMG0KI
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 AM

Wink

Jmho
I believe I'd be gentile tapping with my point finger across the top to ascertain if there are any loose glue joints or bracing.
I would dehumidifi the entire guitar and only me your mileage may vary I would place an extra amount of glue under the lifted area.

I had my ibenez do this same thing years ago and I super glued it down. Thank god it has stayed put since. Barely noticeable unless staring super close. Hey its all gonna work out....

Chris
Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 AM

Plus we are assuming that your hygrometer is accurate. It may read 61%, but the RH may even be higher. Plus 61% is too high anyway.

Bring it to a luthier immediately. They will know what to do.

Going forward, I would shoot to keep the RH between 45-50%. I would use 2 separate hygrometers to measure the RH in the case or room.

But honestly even at 61% I would not expect that type of problem so I suspect Taylor should be paying for this repair if still under warranty.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris' Guitar View Post
Jmho
I believe I'd be gentile tapping with my point finger across the top to ascertain if there are any loose glue joints or bracing.
I would dehumidifi the entire guitar and only me your mileage may vary I would place an extra amount of glue under the lifted area.

I had my ibenez do this same thing years ago and I super glued it down. Thank god it has stayed put since. Barely noticeable unless staring super close. Hey its all gonna work out....

Chris
I would not recommend this btw. Sort of a hack job on a nice instrument would be a shame. Bring it to a luthier for an expert diagnosis and repair.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoMike View Post
Humidity obsession seem to be a modern concern that nobody worried about years ago - we just played guitars. Maybe it's global warming!
It's simple science. I keep my guitars at an acceptable humidity range without "obsessing" about it. I just turn on the humidifier in the winter and start up the dehumidifier in the summer...

Just because you may not have ever been concerned about humidity, and happened to be fortunate not to have any problems with your guitars, does not mean that it's not something we should be concerned about. That's like saying, "I've never had an accident, so why wear a seat belt?" If it weren't something important, than why does Taylor have an entire article dedicated to both under- and over-humidification problems (of course, other companies and luthiers have articles on this too)?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 AM

I would respectfully disagree with the last two posts. The picture from the side also shows the bridge tilting forward, indicating to me that it is coming loose at the back of the bridge as well.

It is hard to be definitive via photos however.

Nevertheless, as has been mentioned, you need to get that beauty to a qualified shop as soon as you can. It is a straight forward standard fix...
Old 03-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
I would respectfully disagree with the last two posts. The picture from the side also shows the bridge tilting forward, indicating to me that it is coming loose at the back of the bridge as well.

It is hard to be definitive via photos however.

Nevertheless, as has been mentioned, you need to get that beauty to a qualified shop as soon as you can. It is a straight forward standard fix...
You might want to specify what you're disagreeing with, because I can't imagine that you are referring to my post or codecontra (who also recommended he take it to a luthier )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidity, koa, taylor