The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-29-2021, 08:52 PM

Default Great Acoustic Guitar Mic Survey Video

The algorithm suggested this to me this evening and I loved it,

Check it out!

A 1950’s j-50 recorded with a
Km-84
Km-56
Royer 121
AEA r44
Neumann U-48
Neumann U-67
Akg 414 eb
Flea c12
And the lowly sm-57

Also covers and reviews various stereo miking techniques

I was really impressed
Well worth the watch
Old 07-30-2021, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, look forward to watching this.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Here's the video...

When people post videos of more than an hour, I really wish they'd include time index links in the notes. I'm interested in hearing the samples but every sample is surrounded by a lot of talking that I don't necessarily need to hear. I tried jumping around but the video would snag after a couple of jumps searching for samples.

With the exception of the SM57, the mics on the list are all stellar vintage or higher end mics. Once you're in those categories, it really comes down to personal tastes. None of them are going to be a poor choice.

I like that they included the 57 though. A friend of mine is always saying that if no other mic you have is right for the job, throw up a 57. It may not be the best choice but it's always going to give you something decent to work with. I don't own a 57 but my friend records a wide variety of genres and doesn't have an enormous mic locker. He reaches for the 57 quite a bit and I can't fault the results he gets.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-30-2021, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

*Way* too long and talky for me to sit through. And evaluating a mic based on two, picked, open chord strums? Hmm.

Bookmarks in the description might make it bearable, but, for me, any objective comparison should have download links to non-lossy, HD audio files so we could hear the differences ourselves.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Humm interesting video very useful for a couple of specific things, then varied to somewhat useful, to marginally useful, to not very useful for other things.

First the recording is great, good room, good equipment.

Abit off topic but since the video brought it up . One basic flaw in the thinking for one observation by the Zach fellow. And his arguably questionable conclusion based on that flaw,,,,,, Which I think is incorrect .. That being about an acoustic guitar being a mono sound source.
For three reasons
#1 Acoustic guitars produce different sounds from all over the entire surface of the guitar, the sound hole, and the strings ......
#2 and even more to the point,, most humans have two ears we hear in stereo
(or at the very least in dual mono through headphones )
#3 other than HP's and outside the listening environment involves multiple refections, coming from multiple directions, and are not a mono signal when they arrive at the humans ears. While understandable in a multi instrument mix because of mix logistics but to my ears a mono recording sound more unnatural or not quite right than a well recorded and mixed stereo recoding IMO ..

Couple thought's on the video and methodology itself. They did a great job recording and of offering great examples of :
#1 "This single specific mic sounds like this, when played like this, at this specific moment, and this specific performance .
#2 somewhat useful for "this mic sounds like this, when pointed like this"

Only marginally to not vary useful, for comparison between the different sound of different mics

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-30-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I too just strolled through the video....fast forwarding to each mic.
I very much appreciate that they took the time to make such a comparison video. However if they had only put up all the mics at the same time and recording the same take...it would have been a lot easier to do a comparison tape. Too much time between takes to get a full understanding.
With that being said....I most appreciated them using a Neumann KM56. I have heard so much talk about this highly coveted Nickle capsule Neumann microphone, yet I have heard so few examples. For years I have heard exclamations from many as this being an ultimate acoustic guitar recording microphone. Wish they had done a better comparison with more notes played for a fuller evaluation of this particular microphone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD