The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Whoa, I humbly suggest we take a step back here. ANY string will only get you approximately .03472 more db, especially since you're already using mediums. Barely pereceptible.

The answer is not strings. You need a battery powered amp. And a pickup of course.
That's the solution. Soundhole pickup and battery powered amp. No need to beat the strings to death.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I agree with the people who have said to use a small battery-powered amp. Back to strings: I've found that the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze are the loudest strings I have tried, when they are new. I don't even like the tone they produce until they have settled down. After a time, they produce a very good tone for my ears but they will be loud, even brash, for a time.

I agree 100 percent (if I could agree 200% I'd do that.) I posted here before about how the strings sounded unbalanced with the G string being noticeably louder, loud enough that an acoustic jam the difference was enough to jar me when I attempted to play a lead, but then a week or so later the strings were fine.) But loud? Heck, yes. I've played a lot of these other brands mentioned (but not the nickel bronze) including the DR Rares and these EBs are in a class by themselves I think for sheer volume.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-30-2021, 10:55 AM

Just for kicks you might try D'Angelico DAPB1356 85/15 Prohibition Bronze Acoustic Strings, Medium 13-56. That's what I used when I used to play hard. Strings by mail carry them. No affiliation.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:28 PM

I don’t think strings are gonna get a perceptible difference outside. Get yourself a battery operated speaker.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I have a battery powered Roland Microcube for these occasions. Volume is no problem.
Just piling on here.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSing View Post
…What strings would you recommend to someone who will abuse them, will only play chords, and wants to wake up the neighbors the next valley over?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Hi JustSing…
First of all, hello and welcome to the forum (notice you just joined a couple months back).

How about these .014 -.060s - CLICK

And while you are at it…beef your flat pick up to a 1.6mm or 1.8mm. You won't have to swing as hard.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-30-2021, 06:06 PM

Default Strings for a Crowded Bonfire

What a wonderful title for an album of traditional sing-along favorites - or an Esteban liquidation sale...
Old 06-30-2021, 10:56 PM

Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings, 13's (medium). These are the loudest strings I've used, and I've tried most all the brands mentioned so far.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:40 PM

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge! A couple of thoughts in response:

-Yes, an amplifier would make it louder. It would also negate the purpose of using an acoustic guitar for me. In any case, amplification is anathema to a campfire singalong in my opinion, but to each their own.

-I like the idea of raising the action; although I am used to using medium strings, there is a point at which I will no longer have the strength to hit a bar chord after an hour of playing... it will be a tricky balance!

-Although I agree that the body of the guitar is important and there is a limit to the difference a set of strings can make, I don't think that makes them unimportant. I am always blown away by how different my guitar sounds after putting on a new set of strings, or switching between lights and mediums.

-I am excited to try out the Nickel Bronze/Aluminum Bronze/80-20's that many of you suggested. I am sure they are louder in some aspects, but I wonder if any of them really supply more low-end (the descriptions many of you supplied made it sound like they are brasher on the treble side of things). As "Robin, Wales" pointed correctly identified, what I really want is an upright bass present, but man it is hard to haul them through the woods, and I've always been underwhelmed by acoustic bass-guitars in a singalong setting. Maybe I'll try a guitarrón someday?

-Yeah, I already play with heavy picks.. the lighter ones just snap while the heavier ones whittle down over time, and they also give that percussive attack that I like.

Thanks again for the brainstorm!
Old 07-01-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSing View Post
Maybe I'll try a guitarrón someday?
Of course, you're probably just kidding, but for folks who may not know, you don't just pick up a guitarrón and play it like you would an acoustic (or other) bass. Totally different animal: you mostly pluck it in octaves, perpendicular to the soundboard, and the fretless fingerboard has a very limited range, I forget exactly but nowhere near the range of an acoustic bass. But yeah, smaller than a double bass!
Old 07-01-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
I don’t think strings are gonna get a perceptible difference outside. Get yourself a battery operated speaker.
The wood used in the bonfire is of upmost concern here. Make sure they did not use green wood that will crackle and pop. This will interfere with your performance.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
strings