The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2021, 09:27 PM

Default Fanned fret Recording King RPH-05

So I was looking for a cheap guitar to practice some blues on. And I stumbled upon a Recording King RPH-05. Unfortunately I don’t have this to play but I remember playing some Dirty 30’s (get what you pay for in mind) and liking them for blues. Well this one has fanned fretting. I cannot find this on an RK anywhere. I like drone thumbing bass in my blues with the sharper treble. Is it true fanned fretting deepens the bass and heightens the treble?
Old 04-24-2021, 09:32 PM

This sounds like someone’s project guitar with an aftermarket conversion to fanned frets. The multiple scale lengths mean you do get a bit more mileage in the bass strings when tuning down but I wouldn’t say more in the treble range. Maybe “sweeter” and easier to play due to the relatively reduced tension and fret distance.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 04-24-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkepler View Post
This sounds like someone’s project guitar with an aftermarket conversion to fanned frets. The multiple scale lengths mean you do get a bit more mileage in the bass strings when tuning down but I wouldn’t say more in the treble range. Maybe “sweeter” and easier to play due to the relatively reduced tension and fret distance.
I was thinking it might have been a project, too. It looks interesting. I appreciate the reply.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blues box, e string, fanned fretting, parlor, recording king