The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 07:53 AM

Interesting topic with many viewpoints to put some thought into.

As long as you have one or the other in your possession you'll always have a tinge of doubt about an "ultimate" decision. Purchase whichever you don't have and consider it an investment in both your future and your sanity. Either guitar would sell easily on the secondary market without taking much of a wallet ding.

When you have BOTH available to you there WILL be a time when you come to the realization that you just don't play one of them. That's the time when you can make a decision.

As far as making a choice between two guitars, there's always a path that logic would tell us is correct, but the REAL choice becomes apparent when you go with what guitar warms you from the inside out.

I prefer chocolate cake most of the time, and the icing applied to the outside can make a vanilla cake appear to be the same. A silk scarf tied over the eyes and a fork will make for an easy choice.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:40 AM

The 18 can be set up to play the same as the 15 you played.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-12-2019, 10:11 PM

Thanks so much to everyone that has taken the time to respond to my post. A great group of people here looking to help and guide without telling someone what they should do (or feel dumb for asking a version of a question that has been asked many times before).

Lots of great advice and opinions regarding both of these wonderful instruments. My intention with this post was not so much to validate my purchase or to look for the forum to pick for me, rather to cull form your experience to see if the construction / tone / volume of the 15 series would better suit this evening couch player than the 18 series.

All in, it seems that most of the players here prefer the 18 series for a variety of reasons- though the 15 has its fair share of fans as well. At the end of the day, neither guitar was designed to play and not make a sound. I think that either choice would wake my light sleeping wife if played past bed time.

It has been about two weeks since I brought the 000-18 home. The first few days it spent a bit more time in its case than it has since. I have been playing more- as much as possible given life's responsibilities. I think that it has everything that I was looking for in a "forever" guitar that I hope will become a family heirloom. It is light and comfortable with a sparkly, dynamic tone. Each time I played it against the 15 in my local shop I thought the same thing- the 15 series sounded great, but the 18 was magical. Also, the string spacing on the 18 is a bit more forgiving for my sloppy single note playing.

The 000-18 really is an amazing guitar. I guess there is a reason it is part of the "standard" series. I have a few more weeks to make my final decision, but I think my mind is made up. This 000-18 may be here to stay.

Thank you again to everyone for your thoughtful words.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:10 AM

Good call. Used 15's are not terribly expensive. Nothing wrong with having both.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm really happy for you! Its nice to have a 'can't go wrong' choice, but by any measurement and any budget, the 000-18 is a lifer and iconic. Great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoret78 View Post
Thanks so much to everyone that has taken the time to respond to my post. A great group of people here looking to help and guide without telling someone what they should do (or feel dumb for asking a version of a question that has been asked many times before).

Lots of great advice and opinions regarding both of these wonderful instruments. My intention with this post was not so much to validate my purchase or to look for the forum to pick for me, rather to cull form your experience to see if the construction / tone / volume of the 15 series would better suit this evening couch player than the 18 series.

All in, it seems that most of the players here prefer the 18 series for a variety of reasons- though the 15 has its fair share of fans as well. At the end of the day, neither guitar was designed to play and not make a sound. I think that either choice would wake my light sleeping wife if played past bed time.

It has been about two weeks since I brought the 000-18 home. The first few days it spent a bit more time in its case than it has since. I have been playing more- as much as possible given life's responsibilities. I think that it has everything that I was looking for in a "forever" guitar that I hope will become a family heirloom. It is light and comfortable with a sparkly, dynamic tone. Each time I played it against the 15 in my local shop I thought the same thing- the 15 series sounded great, but the 18 was magical. Also, the string spacing on the 18 is a bit more forgiving for my sloppy single note playing.

The 000-18 really is an amazing guitar. I guess there is a reason it is part of the "standard" series. I have a few more weeks to make my final decision, but I think my mind is made up. This 000-18 may be here to stay.

Thank you again to everyone for your thoughtful words.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 12-13-2019, 10:01 AM

Well done! AND the longer you play the more you will realize what a special guitar a 000-18 is.

Happy playin'!
scott
Old 12-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Kilgoret,

When I bought my first 000 18, I didn’t know anything about them. It was the first one I had played—the world I lived in was dominated by Ds. I picked up the 000 (used) and fell in love with the clarity and balance of its sound (I’m a finger picker).

For years, it was my only acoustic and it gigged a couple nights a week minimum. I’m pretty sure it changed my way of playing. Like many musicians, occasionally I wanted a different sound or feel, so I have other guitars now. I play a J 50 in some ensemble settings because it lives in a different sonic space from my duo partners’ Martin-voiced guitars.

But if I’m solo, the 000 is the guitar of choice.

Play yours for 45 years and you’ll see what I mean.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
You are demonstrating a classic symptom of acute GAS. Caught between two choices, you make your selection and then have immediate doubts and reservations about your choice and cannot escape the siren song of the one you did not select.

Rest easy, it would not have mattered which guitar you picked - you would be second guessing yourself either way. This is a common manifestation of the affliction. There is no cure. Welcome to hell.
This sums it up.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:10 PM

000-18 owners, a quick question. Is there a slight grade to the nut (from bass side to treble)? Does the low E side of the nut stand a slight bit taller than the high E side of the nut? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoret78 View Post
000-18 owners, a quick question. Is there a slight grade to the nut (from bass side to treble)? Does the low E side of the nut stand a slight bit taller than the high E side of the nut? Thanks!
It should, yes. 12th fret action (a function of both the nut and the saddle) should be around 6/64 of an inch for the low E and 4/64 for the high e.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 12-16-2019, 02:59 AM

Cool

Hi Kilgoret78. I’ve pulled the trigger on the Martin 00-15M! Just to keep you updated and motivated to eventually get a 000-15M. Lol ! NGD posted, plus a poll...

Anyway, I believe you’ll like your 000-18 & bond with it!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, 000-15, 000-18, martin